Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Lister 6/1

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
HobbyNut07/08/2013 15:55:49
113 forum posts
93 photos

This is the present state of my Lister build. All the photos are in my album. If anyone is contemplating building one, I would be pleased to assist where I can with drawing help etc.

decked out.jpg

Edited By HobbyNut on 07/08/2013 15:56:13

Stub Mandrel07/08/2013 20:48:18
4306 forum posts
291 photos

Looking at the other thread, I think we can say you have achieved the impossible. Very lovely

Neil

Diane Carney07/08/2013 22:17:12
397 forum posts
10 photos

It is indeed a lovely thing.

Not so impossible after all .....?

HobbyNut07/08/2013 22:30:39
113 forum posts
93 photos

Thank you for the thumbs up.

I am "obsessed" with it according to my wife. I call it therapy.

Ennech08/08/2013 09:12:45
152 forum posts
135 photos

It's looking great

Jeff Dayman08/08/2013 12:29:34
1656 forum posts
42 photos

Diane, Hobby Nut has done a great job so far. He has also had to redesign and improvise and is obviously a highly skilled metal worker to reach this point. He and many others have mentioned and documented major problems with the drawings for this project as presented in Model Engineer. Given this and the notable absence of any help, instruction, hints or comments from Mr Punter, to say "not so impossible" is a rather smug comment on your part and does not do you or the magazine credit.

JD

JasonB08/08/2013 13:17:21
16561 forum posts
1765 photos
1 articles

And we still don't know if Hobbynut's will run, plenty of people could make a static model from whats been provided.

J

HobbyNut08/08/2013 17:07:24
113 forum posts
93 photos

Jason, that is what I am hoping for, a running engine.

Jeff, George Punter did at the onset contact me re the crankcase dimensions, but I have not heard from him since.

I have high hopes of this running, the only "iffy" parts are the injector and pump, the #5 gas jet is an awfully small orifice to get some parrafin thru. I did not use a #5, I made mine from brass, drilled #80 which is ,34mm dia, the #5 is .2mm I hear. I may have to restrict the flow elsewhere.

I am awaiting the arrival of a package of 3/32dia balls so I can finish off the pump valves. The same shipment will have the head nuts, which are 1/4" hex x 1/4" long x 3/16-32TPI.

The assembly appears to have compression, the valve timing appears to be OK, so it is just injection timing and delivery that is the ?.

Also George's design of the valve gear, which has not appeared in print yet. I am thinking of going it freestyle! I am sure that the rocker ratio is 1:1, and the valve retainers, springs and rocker support will be "to suit".

Diane Carney08/08/2013 22:22:46
397 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by Jeff Dayman on 08/08/2013 12:29:34:

to say "not so impossible" is a rather smug comment on your part and does not do you or the magazine credit.

JD

There was a question mark, Jeff. It was a question - not a comment.

Diane

HobbyNut15/08/2013 05:23:55
113 forum posts
93 photos

Added the rocker stand and 2 rocker arms. These are my own design based on the exploded view of a head posted by Ennech.lister rockers.jpg

Edited By HobbyNut on 15/08/2013 05:25:01

HobbyNut16/08/2013 16:15:20
113 forum posts
93 photos

Worked on it again last night. I made the second valve, 2 of the spring caps, and installed them in the head. I made up a couple of "quicky" pushrods to see haow everything works.

Pleased to say that everything does work, mechanically! Inlet valve refuses to seal after much lapping with coarse and fine lapping compound. The exhaust vale works great.

valves installed.jpgpushrods.jpg

HobbyNut16/08/2013 16:18:48
113 forum posts
93 photos

I am going to put caps on the valve stem tops to cover the center drill depressions. You may also notice that the adjuster bolts are not fitted(nor made!). My ADHD cut in late last night and I just had to see the valves opening and closing.

HobbyNut27/08/2013 17:48:16
113 forum posts
93 photos

This is the latest photo of the Lister.

lh side small.jpg

The fuel delivery pipes are not installed due to the pump and injector mods I am doing. The fuel tank needs a top yet.

HobbyNut28/08/2013 19:19:19
113 forum posts
93 photos

This is my new injector detail. I inserted the jet into a water bottle and put air into the fuel inlet. I could control the amount of air escaping minutely with the top screw. what the spray will be is another question, but I imagine that with such a hard path for the fuel, it may be OK. I will be trying this in the next few days.

my lister injector.jpg

HobbyNut01/09/2013 03:35:08
113 forum posts
93 photos

That works....kind of.

There appears to be too much bypass tho'. Quite a bit of fuel comes out the drain hole. The bleeder valve on my pump is not working, I'm not sure why yet, I am going to do some invetigating tonight.

I also think that I do not have enough compression. My head gasket is about .75mm thick. I am going to replace it with a much thinner alum. one, The rings may also be replaced, as there appears to be some fuel making its way into the sump....blowbye I would say.

Anyway, thanks for following, I am still perservering on the Lister.

HobbyNut03/09/2013 02:27:31
113 forum posts
93 photos

The fuel pump was rebuit and the bleed moved and made to work. I have now put it all back together with all the pipework completed.

The lubrication delivery pipes work, as does the bleeder from the pump. Now all that needs to be done is stop the injector from leaking and getting it to work consistently.

back together.jpg

Bill Dawes04/09/2013 22:39:00
302 forum posts

Hobbynut, I am as they say in all the best circles, 'gobsmacked'

Not long ago I was in awe of you making Emma Victoria at such a (for me) great rate of knots. This is my current project.

How many hours a week do you devote to this wonderful pastime?

And you mentioned a wife as well!!

Bill D.

HobbyNut04/09/2013 23:40:18
113 forum posts
93 photos

Bill, I am possesed as my wife would say. She claims I have ADHD... I start a project and can't put it down. I spend, on average about 3 hrs per night, about 3or 4 days a week in the garage.

I also have a few full size race cars that I work on for a friend, so that can take a night or two, and then there are visits to and from the 3 daughters and 11 grandkids. I do work 5 days a week, and my commute is 1.5 hrs each way. I live a long way out from where I work!!.

I had all last week off so I was able to spend lots of time in the garage. I love building mechanical things, especially model stuff.

HobbyNut05/09/2013 00:05:27
113 forum posts
93 photos

Last night at 10.30pm PST. I took this pic. I made the valve cover nut, and machined the steel head to the semi-finished stage.done small.jpg

Bill Dawes07/09/2013 15:39:35
302 forum posts

Not as many hours as I anticipated, you must have an impressive work rate.

How is your Emma coming along? Not seen any more pics lately. I am still plodding along, painfully slowly by your standards I guess.

Interested to know if you silver soldered the fabricated cylinders after machining as Henry did.?

Thanks for your posts and photos which are really useful to a beginner like me.

Regards

Bill D.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest