By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 22nd

wheel castings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
alan-lloyd14/06/2013 19:18:37
157 forum posts

Hi, i have started to machine the engines wheels, there is not enough meat on my castings to obtain the 101mm dia for the tyres, the largest they have cleaned up to is 99.5 dia, not a great problem, but i wonder if anybody else has had this? I contacted Polly but because i've had the castings for over 2 years they don't want to know, i pointed out some people have sets of castings for years before they get round machining them, still they won't exchange them. if you have bought castings from any where do measure them to make sure theres enough meat on them, just a word of warning.

John Alexander Stewart15/06/2013 14:39:13
752 forum posts
51 photos

Alan;

As I'm sure you know, full sized locomotives had tires (tyres?) that were turned on large lathes to reprofile them. I used to do a lot of full size stuff, but I'm forgetting the actual numbers, but a tire over here in Canada might have an extra inch of material available for removal before condemming.

So, 99.5mm might represent a locomotive that has had its tires turned, and as long as there's still something there (ie, you are not riding on the spokes) I'd be more than happy with that figure. And, it might look more prototypical than the 101mm.

How are you doing otherwise with the locomotive? I saw the preserved one early May for the first time, it was much more interesting than the 2 A4s beside it! (blasphemy, I know...)

Another JohnS

nick feast23/07/2013 13:30:08
75 forum posts
7 photos

Hello Alan,

Just read this post, not been looking at the site lately.

As JohnS points out it is not unsurmountable but I am surprised. Measured 3 sets of machined wheels in the workshop and they are all close to 101.5 mm. However they were pre Polly doing the castings.

For the record the loco wheels on a Q1 were a nominal 5ft 1inch diameter. divide by 16 and metricate and you get about 97mm. I added a bit of diameter in the design, can't remember why now. Hopefully the detail of the wheel looks right.

Regards

Nick

Bazyle23/07/2013 16:22:03
4724 forum posts
186 photos

Perhaps if they only had one wood pattern they used some castings as patterns so accumulated some shrinkage.

Edited By Bazyle on 23/07/2013 16:22:26

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest