By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Dec 6th

Adverts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PETER AYERS15/04/2013 16:47:08
25 forum posts

Hi can any body tell me how to get rid of the adverts on thne RH side of the page? I try to look at several postings and they seem to spread right across the page, and a strip of adverts blocks half the text. I spoke to Diane about it and she suggested it my be the version of internet explorer I am using. Can anybody help please, as I cannot carry on using the forum?

Thanks Peter

JasonB15/04/2013 16:53:40
16561 forum posts
1765 photos
1 articles

What browser are you using, and what version plus what operating system.

Have you tried "compatability Mode" as that often cures the problem.

You cannot get rid of the adverts but In most cases it ios possible to keep the text between the adds.

J

Edited By JasonB on 15/04/2013 16:59:44

David Clark 115/04/2013 16:55:03
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi Peter

Post a few links to bad pages and I will have a look at them.

Probably is your browser but usually there is a reason they are bad.

regards David

magpie15/04/2013 17:21:57
411 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Peter,

I had the same problem myself then someone on the forum told me about the compatibility jobby. If you look at the address bar in the very top left hand corner, after the site address there should be a small rectangle with what looks like a badly drawn "M" (it's meant to be a torn sheet of paper) click on that and things should right themselfs. I hope i am not trying to teach granny to suck eggs.

Cheers Derek.

David G15/04/2013 20:34:09
21 forum posts
3 photos

Hi

forum post link has a reply "michael m 15/04/2013 19:15:17" that has a load of "..............." that pushes the posting under the adverts. Delete the "..............." and you fix the problem.

Dave

JasonB15/04/2013 20:53:05
16561 forum posts
1765 photos
1 articles

Post mentioned above now fixed.

Diane has instigated a few more moderators but as its just voluntary we can't watch every post all the time, so if anyone sees something causing problems let us know.

J

Edited By JasonB on 15/04/2013 20:55:48

Ian P15/04/2013 21:20:35
2254 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by JasonB on 15/04/2013 20:53:05:

Post mentioned above now fixed.

Diane has instigated a few more moderators but as its just voluntary we can't watch every post all the time, so if anyone sees something causing problems let us know.

J

Edited By JasonB on 15/04/2013 20:55:48

Jason

Out of curiosity, do you know how the moderation thing works on this site? I have noticed that we now have several some of whom were/are regular posters. Presumably it a voluntary thing but is it hierarchical with 'minor' moderators not able to edit posts but just report them higher up the chain?

Thinking about it (hard for my brain) I can see the editor has power to edit posts but here we have two different magazines and two editors, how does one know what the other is doing? now that is a leading question....

Ian

JasonB16/04/2013 07:36:16
16561 forum posts
1765 photos
1 articles

Ian as far as I know we now have John S, Stew, Wolfie and myself in addition to Diane & David.

The four of us only have the ability to edit, move or delete posts. If we spot anything else or feel the issue needs a decision from above we e-mail Diane ( at least thats what I do)

I'm not sure if both Diane or David or just Diane get notified when the "report" tab is used so its not so easy to let the 4 minor mods know of an issue. The Moderated first posts of new members still go Through Diane so I suspect she sees most of the obvious spam.

J

Ian P16/04/2013 09:25:59
2254 forum posts
91 photos

Jason

Thanks for that. It make much more sense to me now.

Ian P

PETER AYERS17/04/2013 11:56:48
25 forum posts

Hi David

I cannot re3ad the top few posts on this page because of the adverts. I have tied the compatibility mode but it makes no differance. Why have the management given others the right to edit my postings and comments? I thought that 1984 had gone

Peter

Ian P17/04/2013 12:14:37
2254 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by PETER AYERS on 17/04/2013 11:56:48:

Hi David

I cannot re3ad the top few posts on this page because of the adverts. I have tied the compatibility mode but it makes no differance. Why have the management given others the right to edit my postings and comments? I thought that 1984 had gone

Peter

My thinking on the recent proliferation of moderators is that the site owners find it a very cheap way of making the best of a bad job. The bad job in this case being the very poor website coding. Earlier in this thread DC stuck to the party line with 'its usually the browser' although to be fair he does get in there and try to edit long links etc.

Whilst the moderators do seemingly have draconian power to edit our postings and comments, I am sure they if they did make edits that changed the meaning of what a poster was trying to say the forum members would leave in droves.

IanP

PS Not all browser have compatibility buttons.

Edited By Ian Phillips on 17/04/2013 12:15:43

JasonB17/04/2013 12:50:07
16561 forum posts
1765 photos
1 articles

As Ian says we would edit a post that may have a long url causing layout problems, over size photos, distorted photos, links that are not posted correctly so don't work, etc.

We would seldon edit a persons comments unless it were say offensive language, racist and so on.

We also tend to put the reason for our edits at the bottom of the post and if needed the main mods will contact the poster by e-mail to explain their reasons.

Peter you still have not told us what browser you are using and its version and what OS, without these its hard for anyone to help you.

J

Edited By JasonB on 17/04/2013 12:50:40

Diane Carney17/04/2013 13:24:48
397 forum posts
10 photos

Why have the management given others the right to edit my postings and comments? I thought that 1984 had gone

Peter

This is a strange attitude I think. Moderation is standard practice with any forum.

Diane

Gordon W17/04/2013 15:59:04
2011 forum posts

I've stopped complaining because it's a waste of time, a bit like the banks etc. etc. This post is very bad, compatability mode fixes it, but then the next post, which was OK, is affected.

Ian P17/04/2013 16:57:29
2254 forum posts
91 photos
Posted by Diane Carney on 17/04/2013 13:24:48:

Why have the management given others the right to edit my postings and comments? I thought that 1984 had gone

Peter

This is a strange attitude I think. Moderation is standard practice with any forum.

Diane

Diane

Strange, in that I read it with a different slant to you. I took it Peter was asking 'Why' the management had farmed out some of the task of moderating.

But I agree that having moderators is standard practice and one that comes with the teritory of open forums.

How are moderators chosen?

Ian P

joegib17/04/2013 18:22:00
154 forum posts
18 photos

Ian P

Given the numbers appearing I think it's something like Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Once fearless, feisty, opinionated posters turn into Mods uttering soft words that turneth away wrath. Actually, Ian, you're a bit of a boat-rocker. I've been surprised you haven't been Mod-ified.

Joe

PETER AYERS22/04/2013 10:10:30
25 forum posts

I have tried the things mentioned but I still cannot read some postings on the site. I am using Windows 7 home edition premium and am using internet explorer but I do not know what version (7-8-9).

Peter

Diane Carney22/04/2013 10:38:05
397 forum posts
10 photos
Diane

I took it Peter was asking 'Why' the management had farmed out some of the task of moderating.

But I agree that having moderators is standard practice and one that comes with the teritory of open forums.

Ian P

Why? - Becasue it simply isn't possible for one person to moderate a live forum 24 hours every day.
Who? - They don't know it (so don't tell them) but the chosen few have been undergoing subliminal assessment over a long period and have been deemed suitable

Diane

Ian P22/04/2013 10:47:56
2254 forum posts
91 photos

Diane

Thank you for your clear and concise answer.

Ian P

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest