Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Cutter and lathe tool grinder advice need

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Svarven26/02/2013 18:45:14
35 forum posts
8 photos

Hi
I am in need of a grinding machine for milling cutters and turning tools.
Since I know you oldchao out here possess a lot of knowledge on the subject.
Can you give me some advice on what kind of device I'm going to build me.
Not too complicated, not too expensive but good enough.
Is Harold Hall grinding rest, which he describes in his book, stable and accurate enough. Quorn looking too complicated to build and use, and expensive also. But what about the Hart grinding rest, Reymac cutter grinder, Worden, etc.

Bertil

NJH26/02/2013 19:04:57
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Hi Bertil

Harold's design is highly recommended by posters on this site and has the distinct advantage of being cheap to make. What is more Harold often posts here and has a superb website that contains loads of info.

I am part way through a Stent grinder - and I have been for some time! An interesting exercise that may, one day, be useful but if all you want to do is to sharpen a few tools then you can buy a lot of cutters for the cost of building the Stent, Quorn etc.

Regards

Norman

Harold Hall 126/02/2013 19:25:48
418 forum posts
4 photos

I will not comment on the grinding rests Bertil, I may be biased, but should you decide to go down that route the the following pages on my website may be of help.

Three simple mods,

**LINK**

Helpful mounting method

**LINK**

The thinner arms mentioned in the three mods page are worth doing otherwise I leave it to you

If you are not conversant with my website a good place to start is the index

**LINK**

You mention the Hart rest, unfortunately this is no longer available.

Harold

Svarven26/02/2013 19:49:04
35 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks

Harold

I have looked at your sanding block many many times in the grinding book. but thought it looked a bit too weak out.
But now understand that it is not so.
So I am considering making it along with the accessories.
Maybe I enhances the foot with a micrometer adjustment.

Bertil

Harold Hall 126/02/2013 21:08:28
418 forum posts
4 photos

I should have asked Bertil which book you are referring to as I have produced two grinding rests. Both can produce good work and are robust enough for the task.

The one in the book "Milling a complete course" is though the more rigid. The other works well but needs just a little more care in its use. It is simpler as it was designed so that it could be made in a workshop that did not have a milling machine, though of course, it can be made using a milling machine if one is available.

Harold

Alan Hopwood26/02/2013 21:33:57
32 forum posts

I made, and quickly sold a Quorn, as I found it too fiddely to do the work required. I then made a Stent, which I still use, but fitted a Quorn grinding spindle. The most useful task for the Stent has been four and six facet drill sharpening. Having said all that, both machines take a fair bit of making. It is a good job that my main hobby looks to be making tools to make tools.

Regards,

Alan.

Bazyle26/02/2013 22:01:46
4992 forum posts
198 photos

funny that, no mention of a Hart jig for years then it appears on here and one pops up on ebay within hours.

Michael Horner26/02/2013 23:14:39
202 forum posts
55 photos

Hi Bertil

have you seen the "Cross vice + grinder = Quorn?" thread? Food for thought!

Cheers Michael

Ray Lyons27/02/2013 11:04:03
160 forum posts
1 photos

Have a look at the Colyer/Caseley cutter grinder featured in MEW a couple of years ago. Very much like the Quorn but much easier to construct.

It is a project I intend starting when the weather permits. Drawings are available from www.bristolmodelengineers.co.uk at £12.50 a set, including postage.

I will look up the MEW issue later and let you know.

Cheers, Ray

Les Jones 127/02/2013 11:09:36
2106 forum posts
144 photos

The Colyer/Caseley cutter grinder was in the August 2011 issue of MEW (Issue No. 179)

Les.

Svarven27/02/2013 18:03:39
35 forum posts
8 photos

Hi

Harold I think about the one in the book "Milling a complete course".

Im not a member of the bristol modellenginners so I could not open the drawing page.

So howe to by the Colyer/Caseley cutter grinder drawing then.

Bertil

Bazyle27/02/2013 18:19:06
4992 forum posts
198 photos

Bertil,
this is a picture of the Colyer/Caseley. Only one I took I'm afraid. I'm sure a member of the Bristol club will spring into action and contact you shortly.

pdc_0255 c&c cutter grinder.jpg

Svarven27/02/2013 18:23:13
35 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks

Les J, i looked at you album and found an interesting tacho, do you have the drowing and what kind of sensor are you using to it.

Bertil

Les Jones 127/02/2013 20:09:18
2106 forum posts
144 photos

Hi Bertil,
I submitted the tacho design to MEW but it was not accepted. You can find details on my website. Let me know if you need any more information on it.

Les

David Clark 127/02/2013 20:12:03
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi Les

I don't remember recieving it.

When and how did you send it?

regards david

Svarven27/02/2013 20:24:25
35 forum posts
8 photos

Thak you Les.

What programmer dis you use to program the PIC.

Bertil

Stub Mandrel27/02/2013 20:43:06
4307 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

How do you confuse an electronic engineer?

Show him a row of AVRs and tell him to take his PIC.

Neil

Edited By Stub Mandrel on 27/02/2013 20:46:08

Les Jones 128/02/2013 15:29:51
2106 forum posts
144 photos

Hi David,
I sent you an email with a link to a zip file on my website which contained all the files for the article. The email was sent on 25/02/2010 at 16:14 You must have recieved the email as you replied at 16:24 on the same day. The link to the zip file will no longer work as I removed the zip file after about a year to save space.

Les.

Les Jones 128/02/2013 15:40:57
2106 forum posts
144 photos

Hi Bertil,
I think I used a PICKIT2 to program the PIC but it could have been one of the parallel port type programers which I used before I bought the PICKIT2.

Les.

David Clark 128/02/2013 16:06:27
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi Les

I probably tried to download it but If I had to register to access it, I would not have done that.

regards David

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest