Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Adverts obliterate text

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Wooding14/02/2013 15:39:56
763 forum posts
196 photos

I'm using Firefox 18.0.2 under Win 64 and on some forum postings the adverts down the right hand side overwrite the text. See below for an example.

I've just noticed a series of complaints from last April about this very problem. A year is far too long for this not to be corrected.

mew ads.jpg

Edited By Gary Wooding on 14/02/2013 15:46:05

Edited By David Clark 1 on 15/02/2013 15:07:42

David Jupp14/02/2013 15:44:43
751 forum posts
17 photos

I was seeing that almost every visit when using IE8, having switched to Chrome I think I've only sen it happen once (and not so severely).

Theere seems to be something a bit odd with the site.

Sandy Morton14/02/2013 15:49:12
104 forum posts

Using Sea Monkey on Windoze 7 I have only seen it once and since I'm a bit immobile I probably look at the pages about 20 times a day.

Keith Long14/02/2013 15:59:52
845 forum posts
11 photos

It doesn't seem to affect Firefox as much as the various shade of IE.

The problem comes from posters sticking in long urls that over-run the limits of the text box and also from folks entering photos in the tex,t and not putting any leading or following text on different lines, with the result that again you've got a heck of a long line in the message that runs over the edge of the box.

Ideally someone should be able to alter the coding on this website to overcome this, but don't underestimate this task. It's an open forum for anyone (registered) to post to, and folks will persist in posting in a form that suits them, rather than what is the accepted norm - have a look at posts with all capitals, heavy (bold) text, coloured backgounds etc.

As anyone who has written a website that is rendered properly by the main browsers will know, it's not straightforward. Although browsers and webpages are supposed to conform to accepted standards and protocols nearly all browsers to a greater or lesser extent deviate from those standards, in how they interpret and render page content. Historically Microsoft with the versions of IE was one of the biggest offenders, possibly taking the view that it was so dominant that the rest of the world would have to fit in with Microsoft. Possibly now that Microsoft has lost it's dominance in the browser market, it may make IE more compliant with the standards. Until that glorioius day (don't hold your breath) it is really down to posters to accept the limitations of the site - they're not as bad as some would have you believe - and exercise a bit of discipline in how they enter text, photos, urls etc.. After all most folk on here manage to operate lathes, milling machines etc - can it be SO much harder to stick to the "rules" wheh posting.

Keith

Springbok14/02/2013 16:02:38
879 forum posts
34 photos

This has been rumbling along for a very long time and has never been resolved
and to be blunt do not think ever will. David tried to tackle it as moderator at the
time.

Bob.

Stub Mandrel14/02/2013 21:45:17
4311 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

I got this a week or so ago on one thread. First time it's happened with V18 Firefox.

Some other browsers report it all the time.

Neil

Trevor Wright14/02/2013 21:48:20
139 forum posts
36 photos

I can accept Keith's comments, but when it happens to me (on EI8, works pc) it is not the odd post that overruns but all of the posts on that topic. I find it hard to believe that all of those posters disobey the rules then obey them when the same people are posting on other topics that do not overrun.

If the first post on a topic sets the format for all subsequent posts then I will understand that but otherwise it does not make sense.

Btw, on the pc at home I never have any problems.

Trevor

Keith Long14/02/2013 22:14:05
845 forum posts
11 photos

You're nearly there Trevor, it only takes one post on the page to cause the dreaded overlap, doesn't matter whether it's the first, last or in the middle, the one post that is wrong sets the layout for the whole page. Once the thread has run off the end of the faulty page, and is one a new page, it should all display correctly until there is another spanner thown in the works.

Very often when you get down to trying to sort out the coding you're dealing with some of the very fine technical detail, such as the "cell spacing", "cell padding" etc in the tables. The reference book I used when desiging a website ran to 932 pages - and I think I had to refer to nearly all of them!

Tricky stuff this html!

Keith

Cyril Bonnett14/02/2013 23:08:08
239 forum posts
1 photos

When this website was first put up if you inserted a long web address into a posting it caused the problem that you are getting.
I posted such a link and asked the editor to remove my posting which fixed it.
I think its how the web page has been designed along with the version of web browser not being compatibale with some of the modern coding used,
I thought they had sorted it as I haven't seen it happen for a long time but obviuosly they haven't, i'm using IE10 which seems quite stable.

Cyril

Bazyle14/02/2013 23:20:43
5473 forum posts
206 photos

Is it possible for a moderator to alter the offending post to correct the problem? I know this is another burden on them so perhaps a special moderator could be appointed whose sole job was to sort the problem.

David Clark 115/02/2013 09:27:27
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi Bazyle

I can't alter it unless someone posts or emails me details of the offending page.

Often it appears fine on my computer so I can't look at every thread to find faults, I need to be told.

regards David

Gary Wooding15/02/2013 11:16:29
763 forum posts
196 photos

Hi David,

The actual posting was

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=79487

Regards, Gary

David Clark 115/02/2013 11:24:08
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi Gary

Sorted.

Somone posted a 640 pixel wide video.

I just had to change it 320 wide and problem solved.

regards David

Brian Warwick15/02/2013 11:33:56
30 forum posts

I am confused, if the problem is with the postings and NOT the persons computer or browser settings then why doesn't everyone have the problem.

I use W7 and IE and don't have the issue

So can you please explain why I don't appear to have the problem on my computer if its a site issue. NOT that I want the issues smiley

Edited By Brian Warwick on 15/02/2013 11:36:27

Michael Gilligan15/02/2013 12:10:14
16389 forum posts
715 photos

Brian,

It's a deep-rooted browser compatibility issue

The damage is usually done when someone posts a large image, or long hyperlink ... or pastes in something that carries its own html formatting. [Yes, the editing pane allows the insertion of html.]

Different browsers handle these things differently.

... Don't feel left out sooner or later, something will upset yours !

MichaelG.

Old School15/02/2013 12:45:47
352 forum posts
30 photos

On my computer its happening on this thread

Olly

David Clark 115/02/2013 12:55:35
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Thid thread?

Strange, it is fine.

If you look at view source a corrupted page will have lots of brown text where the error is.

This page is fine.

regards David

Gary Wooding15/02/2013 13:35:42
763 forum posts
196 photos

Thanks David,

That's much better.

Gary

AES15/02/2013 15:04:31
85 forum posts
1 photos

Gents,

As per Old School's post above, it's happening on THIS thread to me too. It's happened several times on various posts within the last week or two (after a long period when all was OK). I just gave up trying to read those posts, as I have with the first few posts above (until there's enough posts to get below the ads column).

I understand it's something to do with a poster posting a pic that's too big/too wide.

(So one might ask, if that's so, why does this Forum "allow" posters to post pix which are too wide? I use several other Forums and have no such problems there, and as an example, one other Forum that I use regularly "refuses" to accept pix that are too big - AND it tells you why the refusal and what to do about it!).).

If it helps I'm on an HP Laptop with XP Pro and using MS Internet Explorer 8. Yes, I know MS is not exactly "popular" but OTOH when I "work work" with others who have, for example Mac, or some of these "weird" operating systems, we often run into all sorts of compatibility problems (even with sending Word docs, pdfs, etc to each other); Also, to be quite honest, I have no idea how/where to go about getting Firefox or any of the other browsers one hears so much about and frankly I am far too lazy/disinterested in "PC-geekery" to bother finding out.

Probably wrong of me but the way I see it the one big advantage (among many disadvantages) of using MS products is that they're 90+% compatible with everyone else in the world. If a particular Forum or whatever designs their pages so that they are not fully compatible with the "majority norm" then that's their problem not mine.

It's all a bit annoying, and as someone elase has said above, this is not exactly a new problem (but still b----y annoying!).

Krgds

AES

Edited By AES on 15/02/2013 15:09:09

David Clark 115/02/2013 15:08:29
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi There

I have added a width to the sccreenshot above.

Has this cured the problem?

regards David

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest