Stub Mandrel27/02/2013 20:06:49
4315 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

I'm sure we all remember 'please allow 28 days for deleivery"

Neil

Wolfie27/02/2013 22:14:16
502 forum posts

As a beginner I have been more than pleasantly surprised by the service and also advice I have had from suppliers. Particularly in two cases where the offending machine wasn't even bought from them. Mentioned in despatches: Arc Euro, M-Machine, Tracy Tools and RDG.

We'd sit in the pub with mates moaning about poor service so I'm sitting in the pub singing the praises of good suppliers!

Stub Mandrel24/10/2013 14:34:52
4315 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Applause to EKP, order yesterday morning, delivery this morning. Not unique among 'our' suppliers, but worthy of a commendation.

Neil

DMB24/10/2013 15:12:35
1350 forum posts
1 photos

I agree with Wolfie`s recommendations. Just like to add Blackgates to the list.

John

Martin Kyte24/10/2013 16:33:20
2781 forum posts
53 photos

Nearly 2 YEARS ago I bought a Myford 3 Jaw from a show, this week I had reason for the first time to use the outside Jaws to find that there were 2 No1 jaws in the set. Myfords were emailed on Tuesday and a new set arrived on Wednesday with SAE for the odd set. I'm impressed. Everything in life fails occasionally but it's the willingness of people to put it right that counts. So I for one would add Myfords (RDG) to the list.

Martin

jonathan heppel24/10/2013 19:00:03
99 forum posts

I too have found RDG to be a good supplier.

However, there is one thing they do that irritates me no end. It's the ridiculous prices they show on some of their ebay listings, like more than 500 quid for a boring head that everyone else lists as, say, 75.

I presume that these are clerical errors and not a rather too obvious trap for the unwary, but it does tend to suggest that they are either dishonest or incompetent, since it's been going on for months at least. Does it bother anyone else?

Edited By jonathan heppel on 24/10/2013 19:14:24

JasonB24/10/2013 19:03:27
22999 forum posts
2757 photos
1 articles

They do that when they are out of stock, it saves removing the item and having to relist it when back in stock.

J

Mike p24/10/2013 21:12:35
27 forum posts

Hi All, Let me add Amadeal to the good list, Ifirst asked for a new circuit board and was told not to place the order until Eddie the technician had called me back to ensure that I had identified the problem correctly. Once this was confirmed at 4pm Wednesday and the order placed I expected maybe 2 days wait but no the part arrived at 10am today [Thursday] hows that for customer service.

Mike p

Martin Cottrell25/10/2013 21:48:05
297 forum posts
18 photos

Hi, I would like to add Edward George of Little Samson fame to the list of outstanding suppliers. I ordered a full set of castings for a 4" LS traction engine. We were discussing postage/ delivery/ collection options when he suggested he would be passing Taunton (where I live) in a couple of weeks time to visit family in Exeter so could bring the bits with him and meet up with me to hand them over. Unfortunately I was on holiday abroad that weekend but he said he was happy to leave the castings with his family in Exeter if I didn't mind going down to collect them when I returned from holiday. I agreed happily as Exeter is only a 30 minute drive for me and asked Edward for the cost of the parts so I could send him a cheque before I went on holiday. His reply amazed me " don't worry about that now, go and enjoy your holiday and send the cheque once you've collected the castings and made sure you're happy with them"!

This is in stark contrast to another "supplier" who took my money, failed to deliver any goods and 13 months after cancelling my order, still hasn't fully returned my deposit. Shame I can't name and shame without threats of legal action but if he reads this it might just prick his conscience enough to repay the rest of what he owes me!

Regards, Martin.

Howard Lewis28/10/2013 22:00:13
6295 forum posts
15 photos

When I have had a problem with a die from Tracy Tools, there has never been any argument, just immediate replacemen,t and apologies for the difficulty.

I dropped a box of Taps and Dies on the floor and broke the plastic inner. Mentioned it at a Show. Tracy Tools took my details and posted a replacement F.O.C. !

Thats customer service!

Similar comments apply to The Tap and Die Company, always very helpful.

As Model Engineers, we are very fortunate to have so many suppliers who understand our needs and will go the extra mile to solve our problem.

Geoffrey French29/10/2013 05:51:27
1 forum posts

I live in N Z and have had great service from Reeves 2000, two orders for castings well packed and arrived here in 5 days both times!! Unfortunately my dealings with another supplier have been very sad, paid for D& NY TE castings plus postage November 2012 and after numerous emails and "excuses" why no delivery we have reached the point where the proprietor won't even bother to reply. As a pensioner this is funds lost that I cant afford. The firm is named after a well known engineer from the past. I'll say no more.

John C03/11/2013 02:44:59
273 forum posts
95 photos

A couple more:

Emkay Screw Supplies - very good service with fast delivery.

JB Tools now have a website: WWW.JBCuttingtools.com. Very helpful on the phone too!

John

Martin Cottrell03/11/2013 22:21:31
297 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Geoffrey French on 29/10/2013 05:51:27:
Unfortunately my dealings with another supplier have been very sad, paid for D& NY TE castings plus postage November 2012 and after numerous emails and "excuses" why no delivery we have reached the point where the proprietor won't even bother to reply. As a pensioner this is funds lost that I cant afford. The firm is named after a well known engineer from the past. I'll say no more.

Hi Geoffrey

No prizes for guessing who that is then. If you can PM me with some details I will forward them on to an appropriate organisation who may be able to help.

Martin.

Jo04/11/2013 08:50:39
198 forum posts

Geoffrey, you were lucky they had the items in stock, I had to wait over 18 months for them to replace a substandard casting that they had sent me which they did not have in stock sad.

I do wish that suppliers would tell you if they do not have a casting in stock and when they are expecting to have one cast and available for. Such long delays from suppliers are very fustrating when you want to get on with your model.

Jo

JasonB04/11/2013 13:18:44
22999 forum posts
2757 photos
1 articles

I think Reeves now have a system that shows in stock, short delivery period or long delivery period. Probably too late for when you originally placed your order.

J

Martin Cottrell04/11/2013 13:21:44
297 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Jo on 04/11/2013 08:50:39:

I do wish that suppliers would tell you if they do not have a casting in stock and when they are expecting to have one cast and available for. Such long delays from suppliers are very fustrating when you want to get on with your model.

Jo

Hi Jo, what's even more frustrating is when you get explicit confirmation in writing that a supplier will deliver a full set of castings within 30 days then fails to deliver any parts whatsoever then states he is unable to repay the deposit you paid him when you cancel your order.

Regards, Martin.

Roderick Jenkins05/11/2013 20:18:23
2200 forum posts
616 photos

I ordered some screws on-line from EKP mid-morning yesterday. Came through the door at 09:30 this morning. Brilliant service, you can't do do better than that - congrats to Royal Mail as well.

Rod

Ian Welford05/11/2013 22:13:44
299 forum posts

Toolpost of Didcot, Oxfordshire are truly excellent to deal with for wood turning stuff. You can try before you buy in their store and they replaced a defective chuck jaw accessory 8 years after I bought the chuck I had to search for where I'd put the spare jaw and took me a while to find it. You know how it goes guys...embarrassed

Ian

graham howe05/11/2013 23:56:20
16 forum posts

MINIMAG.Co

I should like to mention Julian Kemp of MiniMag Co who despite over a year long gap from the time of parts delivery he readily agreed to test out several parts which were causing me difficulties. With the tests done the parts were promptly returned, and this included a replacement coil. I previously advised Julian that in the case of any part needing replacement I was quite prepared to cover the cost but he said the coil should not have failed prematurely and was his responsibilty.

Service and support like this is rare these days. Quality products and helpful support are very much valued in the current trading climate when so many suppliers care about neither. Minimag are imo. outstanding!

OuBallie07/11/2013 16:44:02
1174 forum posts
666 photos

Warco.

Ordered the two spare parts for the lathe yesterday at 1350h and they arrived 1100h this morning.

Thank you Don in their Spares Dept.

Geoff - Vice bolts done.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate