By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Stephensons Rocket

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jason moore 131/12/2012 11:16:36
21 forum posts

Can anyone out there tell me if there has ever been a design published anywhere for Rocket? I would like to build a 7 1/4" gauge version but the question of the boiler and published designs rears it's ugly head.

Gray6231/12/2012 14:02:27
1058 forum posts
16 photos

Ditto, would love to build Rocket, in either 5" or 7 1/4"

CB

Another JohnS31/12/2012 14:48:17
832 forum posts
56 photos

Hmmm - A fellow in Toronto called Mike Fields created the Stourbrige Lion (sister to Aegnoria in York) in 7-1/4.

Have put pictures up on my Photos page.

I think there was a half-built one on "discoverlivesteam.com" fairly recently.

It's not a Rocket, but it is an English locomotive, small, light, and interesting, IMHO.

Another JohnS.

Gone Away31/12/2012 15:32:11
829 forum posts
1 photos

Not a "design" per se but there is a book, if you can find a copy, called "The Engineering and History of Rocket: a survey report" which is truly excellent and contains detailed drawings constructed from measurements made on the machine in the Science Museum. Plus a lot of background information. I feel sure you could construct a decent model of any of a number of the phases that Rocket went through during its development.

Even my 8 year old great nephew, during a brief sortie away from his iPod, pronounced it "so kewl" ..... high praise indeed!

Edit: I got mine from Camden, I think, but they don't seem to list it now so it may be out of print. Amazon UK list some "used, like new" copies starting at £12.45 with V2.80 shipping .... a real bargoon IMO

Edited By Sid Herbage on 31/12/2012 15:38:37

Weary31/12/2012 16:35:06
386 forum posts
1 photos

This man, who is in Sydney, Australia and very active on this website, built a 7.25 'Rocket' - click on 'Various English Engines' at top right of his website. He might be able to give you some ideas/leads, as you can see he can be contacted through his webpages.. He has also posted a video on 'you tube'.

Keep us posted of progress, what you find. etc., please.

Regards,

Phil

jason moore 102/01/2013 08:41:39
21 forum posts

Thankyou all for the replies. Sid, i am aware of that book.I had it on my list to Santa but with no luck! Looks like i'll have to treat myself. I have heard glowing reports so constructing the model should be possible from the information contain in that one book alone.

Phil, I too have seen this man,s work and his posts on the other forum. If you are a visitor of that website i'm sure you will have read the long drawn out discussions on boiler designs and the australian boiler codes versus our published design hangups. Not something i would wish to start here.

As he is a boiler inspector for his club i may contact him direct to see if he drafted his own drawings for rocket.These if available may satisfy my club boiler inspector of the design's soundness.

Rod Dixon23/02/2015 12:52:20
1 forum posts

I have fully modelled the 1927 Rocket Replica that is in the York Museum in SolidWorks. At some point I will build a 1/4 model but in the interim, I am happy to support serious modellers with information.

Regards

Rod

Neil Wyatt23/02/2015 13:28:16
19076 forum posts
736 photos
80 articles

Welcome to the Forum Rod,

I'm afraid the message you have replied to is 2 years old, but I sure it would be of general interest is you could put a screen grab of your model into an album.

Neil

John Stevenson23/02/2015 13:37:30
5068 forum posts
3 photos

Two years is nothing.

The rocket is 186 years old.

God what would Ower George have given to have a copy of Solidworks ?

Gordon W23/02/2015 15:55:06
2011 forum posts

Not much help I'm afraid, I remember playing on Rocket and Locomotion No.1 on Darlington station back in the 40's. All the small bits had gone by then of course. I know a replica was built by apprentices after that, so is the 1927 one an earlier replica? My memory is going west so I could be totally wrong about everything.

Ray Hulock23/02/2015 17:50:50
10 forum posts

I don't think 'Rocket' was ever displayed in Darlington station. I seem to think the other loco with 'Locomotion' was 'Derwent'. The original 'Rocket', much modified and incomplete, went to the Science Museum quite early on. A replica of 'Rocket' in more or less original condition was built for the 1930 Liverpool & Manchester centenary. At least 2 more were built around this time - one as a sectioned exhibit and another went to the Henry Ford Museum IIRC. A new, working replica was built in 1979 for Rocket 150 the following year. This one has recently been rebuilt at the NRM in York. Sorry can't help with drawings. Ray.

Gordon W24/02/2015 10:05:44
2011 forum posts

Ray- you may well be right, told you the old memory is not good. We were always told is was Rocket, I seem to remember a name plate also, but....

Robbo24/02/2015 12:10:12
1504 forum posts
142 photos

Gordon,

Ray is correct, both Locomotion and Derwent were displayed at Darlington Bank Top station, but not Rocket. They are both still in Darlington, at the Darlington Railway Centre and Museum.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate