By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Pickle solution for Gauge 1 Boilers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Church27/12/2012 22:49:42
8 forum posts

What ratio of Citric Acid power to water is best for pickling boilers after silver soldering. Or can anyone inform me of a alternative and supplier, of another product, other than sulphuric acid which would do the job. I am about to build 2 Gauge 1 boilers so small amounts of pickle are the order of the day. any advice would be appreciated.

Mr C

Steamshy28/12/2012 06:13:51
38 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Alan, I use citric acid, its available at your local supermarket, its in dry form, about one teaspoon to a litre of water should do the trick overnight for you.

Andy

CuP Alloys28/12/2012 11:15:16
45 forum posts

Hell Alan,

Citric acid supply can be patchy due to the activities of local kids.

25gm per litre of water seems to do the trick or more simply 100gm into a gallon/4.5 litres.

If you have difficulties call us.

regards

keith

Edited By CuP Alloys on 28/12/2012 11:17:29

Alan Church31/12/2012 18:56:33
8 forum posts

Many thanks to Andy and Keith. I have purchase some Citric acid powder, made up the solution and I must say it works a treat.

Mr C

D.A.Godley01/01/2013 16:56:10
104 forum posts
38 photos

I have used Citric Acid for some while now ,it being much more user friendly and as effective as alternatives.

A tip I was given ,so that its life is extended , is to add a splash of bleach into the mix . When stored in washed out plastic milk containers , it keeps good for months without going off.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest