By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Materials for 2.5" gauge

Can I use these bits for 3.5^ gauge loco?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Takeaway30/10/2012 17:07:24
108 forum posts

Hello all

I have a bit of copper tube 12" x 3.25" dia. x 1/16" wall and some cast iron spoked wheels just under 3" diameter. Also a couple of gunmetal cylinders which would look comfortable bored out to .750" or just over.

Question is, does this lot look like an embryo 2.5" gauge loco (I hope) or is it more suited to a 3.5" gauge loco?

Regards

Stuart

IanT30/10/2012 19:01:26
2002 forum posts
212 photos

Could well be Stuart - a few more measurements would help. How many spokes on that wheel?

Early castings may be to 1/2" but more modern ones will be to 17/32" to give you some idea of scale.

Regards,

Ian T

Edited By IanT on 30/10/2012 19:01:58

Takeaway31/10/2012 14:03:20
108 forum posts

Thanks for your input Ian. Some more detail as you requested in order to try and see if this stuff is 2.5” compatible.

The six unmachined 16 spoked cast iron wheels are 2 13/16” across the rims. The two unmachined steam cylinders are 1 7/8” long with 5/8” bores. The casting in the photo immediately to the right of the cylinder looks like it might fit between the frames so could it be a motion / spectacle plate maybe? It is almost 2” long. The valve chest cover is marked “KENNION”. The bore in the machined chimney is a fraction over 3/4” and its saddle looks OK when offered up to the 3 ¼” dia. copper tube. The crucifix like casting is almost 1 34” long – I’m not an expert on model locos so I don’t know what it is.

I have contacted (with photos) the business in Daventry that took Kennions business over when they finished (cannot think of their name for the mo) but they were unhelpful.

My first attempt at trying to identify my collection of bits (all from the same source) is in “Beginners Questions” forum under the thread “Anonymous Castings”.

As someone has already pointed out, and I agree with him, just because I bought this lot from the same place doesn’t necessarily mean that it was all meant for a particular design. It may just be a collection of bits!

What do you reckon?

ATB

Stuart

Photo here:

**LINK**

IanT31/10/2012 18:54:30
2002 forum posts
212 photos

I think Michael has a good contender with 'Dyak' Stuart.

Just checked my drawings - wheels machine to 2-3/4", boiler shellb diameter 3-1/4", cylinder "any" that will machine to 1-5/8" long with 13/16 bore.

Regards,

Ian T

Takeaway31/10/2012 20:19:49
108 forum posts

Many thanks chaps. I have looked at various pics on GOOGLE images for DYAK and have come to the conclusion that this is about as close as we (and I really mean YOU – thank you) are going to get in identifying what this lot of castings and materials were collected together for. It has been a bit of a detective story trying to establish the target loco but DYAK seems to be a fair bet. Special thanks to Michael Williams and Ian T.>>

Very best regards>>

Stuart>>

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate