Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Mach3

Primer appeal

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan27/09/2012 17:54:32
17073 forum posts
762 photos

Regardless of "originality" or otherwise John McNamara's design looks superb and would, I think, be ideal for an article in MEW.

The inclusion of a few concise pages about the software would be helpful, but let's not over-do that side of things. ... I do have some sympathy with those who don't want to see the magazine filled with instructions for specific software ... But this hardware design must surely be of interest to many.

MichaelG.

Tony Jeffree27/09/2012 17:56:06
395 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by KWIL on 27/09/2012 17:01:28:

Then surely that (ie CNC Zone) is where the detailed articles should be?

I buy MEW because it has a broad spectrum of articles in it, covering topic areas across the board in terms of home workshop tooling and machining techniques. It is probably fair to say that in any one copy of MEW, there is about 50% of the copy that isn't of particular interest. However, I have a complete collection of MEW from issue 1, and I often find myself referring back to articles that I wasn't interested in when they were first printed. If I and others had clamoured at the time for those articles (or their like) to be removed from the mag's repertoire, and we had succeeded, my reference material would have been much the poorer for it. Similarly, there is often material in an issue that isn't directly relevant to what I am doing, but is interesting because it describes a technique that I wasn't familiar with...or whatever - it is all good stuff to be filed away in the back of the brain to help solving future problems. For that reason, I live with the fact that some articles I will simply skip over, and enjoy the ones that are interesting and/or relevant.

I would be the first to agree that I couldn't imagine anything more dull than articles on CNC programming techniques with yards of program listings etc. etc. and nothing to stimulate the brain of the reader; however, by the same token, I can't imagine anything more dull than articles describing yet-another-variant-on-a-saddle-stop or similar. The acid test, for me at least, is whether an article is sufficiently interesting that readers actually go out and DO SOME ENGINEERING as a result of reading it, rather than reading the article from the comfort of their armchair and then bitching about it not being to their taste.

I've written one or two articles for the mag over the years, some "mainstream" ME stuff, some on CNC, some off-the-wall, etc. Some of them have been criticised, in this forum and in the postbag pages, for reasons ranging from "too much CNC" to "too much humour"; however, from the direct feedback I get, it is very clear to me that there are very few of my articles that were a waste of my time, i.e., that failed my acid test of whether or not any readers *actually did stuff* as a result of reading them. That, for me, makes all the difference, and is the reason I keep writing, on whatever topic is currently occupying my workshop time.

At the end of the day, it is up to the editor to make a judgement call, in order to produce a magazine with broad appeal, and select articles for publication accordingly. As David's constant pleas in the mag indicate, he is of course limited to publishing articles that people submit to him - he doesn't have a magic wand that he can wave and conjour good quality articles out of thin air. So every reader of the mag is in a position to influence the balance of articles in MEW in a very practical way - by writing good quality articles on appropriate topics and submitting them for publication. But I, for one, would seriously consider not renewing my subscription if the CNC-bashing brigade succeed in having CNC-related articles banned from the magazine - that it would result in a poorer magazine content, and would ultimately be a dis-service to its readership.

Regards,

Tony

Edited By Tony Jeffree on 27/09/2012 18:09:01

Michael Horner27/09/2012 17:56:28
211 forum posts
61 photos

David

Is it feasable to have the "digital articles" on the electronic magazine only so if it gets thrown away it's not wasting them poor trees?

Cheers Michael

Tony Jeffree27/09/2012 18:05:12
395 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 27/09/2012 17:54:32:

Regardless of "originality" or otherwise John McNamara's design looks superb and would, I think, be ideal for an article in MEW.

I agree - it would be great to see this written up for MEW.

Regards,

Tony

John Alexander Stewart27/09/2012 18:10:16
794 forum posts
52 photos

Also, look at diylilcnc.org for the "bolt in the T slot" construction.

Now, the V1 of this that I saw 2 years ago was running LinuxCNC (flawlessly, I might add!) so the topic of this thread does not match this machine!

Another JohnS

Springbok27/09/2012 19:27:04
879 forum posts
34 photos

I would love a CNC machine but as a pensioner cannot afford one anyone got one to give away...

Bob

Jeff Dayman27/09/2012 19:39:45
1986 forum posts
45 photos

John McNamara's router design does look like a great one and I agree would make a great article. However the construction methods re mortise/tenon/fasteners he describes are common industrial practice. I recall being shown fixtures made with that method around 28 years ago, and these fixtures had been designed and built some time before that.

I have found very little truly new under the sun in mechanical construction in 30 years professional experience except new manufacturing processes and new combinations of old methods.

JD

David Clark 127/09/2012 20:19:17
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi Michael

No chance.

If it is not numbered in the magazine, it does not go into the digital issue.

That is why we can no longer do free plans.

If I don't number them in the magazine they won't be included.

Also, there is no budget for digital only articles.

Quite happy to start a digital CNC learning thread.

regards David

Michael Cox 127/09/2012 20:57:12
537 forum posts
27 photos

David,

We already have an area where members of this forum can post photos. Could we not have an area where members can post files. Listings of CNC could be posted in that area by the author and he could then reference a link to the file in the article that appears in the magazine. This way the article in the mag in uncluttered by lengthy listings.

As a benefit to MyHobbyStore it might encourage non-subscription members to take out a subscription!

Mike

John Stevenson27/09/2012 21:02:57
5068 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Springbok on 27/09/2012 19:27:04:

I would love a CNC machine but as a pensioner cannot afford one anyone got one to give away...

Bob

It's all a matter of priorities, if you want a cnc hard enough you make allowances. Don't bother building choo choo's and built a cnc.

However if Choo choo's interest you more then it shows where prioorities lie.

You could always build the wooden one that has just run in MEW, cheap but functional enough to learn.

John S.

John McNamara27/09/2012 22:55:45
1313 forum posts
113 photos

Hi All

I would like to see other joint designs or photos of the one I am using. I have seen the mortise and tenon used with laser cut work many times for alignment as well as strength, usually as a precursor to welding. I have not seen embedded fasteners used in this way.

And maybe there are other joining methods that have application to our work. Any joint that removes the need to weld with the subsequent distortion it causes.

Cheers

John

I have added another album. images from it below

Actual part (Bearing support foot) from the router, In this case the nut is embedded in the plate.
Also two CAD views showing fastenings in place with the bolt embedded in the plate.

joint detail.jpg

---

bolted joint  28-09-2012 7-32-35 am.jpg

bolted joint 2 28-09-2012 7-33-39 am.jpg---

---

Edited By John McNamara on 27/09/2012 23:09:44

Michael Gilligan27/09/2012 23:30:57
17073 forum posts
762 photos

John,

That does look very ingenious. I like the idea of flat-pack machines ... even if the package weight may come as a shock!

By the way; you won't have seen it, but our TV programme "Grand Designs" recently featured a House built from Plywood Boxes that were CNC machined on Site. The "factory" was a shed, and all the material was delivered as 8'x4' sheets.

MichaelG.

I just found the website of Facit Homes ... I think you will like the process.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 27/09/2012 23:40:18

Versaboss27/09/2012 23:40:44
462 forum posts
51 photos
Posted by David Clark 1 on 27/09/2012 12:53:36:

Hi Hansrudolf

Whjat is wrong with Mick Knights articles?

regards David

Well, you asked... although I am not sure if it really needs an answer here. And the first - quite long - answer i erroneously deleted before posting it sad.

So the short version:

- M.K takes too many 180 degree turns in his ramblings. Well, paid by the page - perhaps I would do it also wink.

- Too many errors in an article for beginners. I wrote about this shortly after the first installment was published. The latest one: the milling cutter on page 17, MEW 195 is not TiAlN coated, but TiN (yellow). TiAlN is grey-blueish.

So what, you may say. Publishing erroneous information in a technical magazine is not a good thing, imho. Especially when it should address the beginners, it only promotes urban myths.

Sorry for stirring around in this again, but, as I said, i was asked...

Greetings, Hansrudolf

John Alexander Stewart28/09/2012 03:11:57
794 forum posts
52 photos

John - like others, congratulations on your work. First time I saw the bolt-in-t-slot construction, I thought it really interesting and a great idea.

I also like what I have seen of your design, so as they say "great minds think alike".

The "diylilcnc.org" has this type of joint (unless I'm mistaken) on their designs. I'll try and give a link to one of their pictures here. Please correct me if I am mistaken about the design.

Another JohnS.

John McNamara28/09/2012 04:22:19
1313 forum posts
113 photos

Hi John.

Yes and no......

The design does show the t slot however the two tenons are the key to my design. They offer huge lateral support removing all sheer from the threaded fastening, at the same time providing .01mm from the laser cutter (plus tolerance) location. a threaded fastener alone cannot do this.

Cheers

John

Edited By John McNamara on 28/09/2012 04:23:28

Rod Ashton28/09/2012 08:47:07
324 forum posts
12 photos

David :-

"Also, there is no budget for digital only articles.

Quite happy to start a digital CNC learning thread."
Please do follow up as convenient. I firmly believe you would significantly increase subscription by publishing/posting articles and learning threads.
Bob :- I am a pensioner also ( not a rich one) I am a time served toolmaker (handraulic) and made a career in CAD tooling design, beginning in ACAD2 for reference. Just gone into CNC milling and turning. The most fascinating challenge I have approached in 20 years. Even if you cannot run to the hardware. A brief study of the concepts is inspiring.
If you find yourself in the central south and want to play with some machines. PM me and I will make a cup of cocoa (or Camp coffee if I have enough coupons.)
John Stevenson28/09/2012 09:13:43
5068 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Rod Ashton on 28/09/2012 08:47:07:.
PM me and I will make a cup of Camp coffee if I have enough coupons.

Rod,

I think you have just blown any chance of any support given that last offer blush

Camp coffee ? my God that like drinking the hard shoulder on the M1, just south of Milton Keynes.

John S.

mick28/09/2012 09:15:53
398 forum posts
44 photos

Hi. Hansrudolf.

I take comfort from knowing that you still find time to read my ramblings. Just a couple of things by way of defence and explanation. The reason I ramble on, is not for financial gain, although being retired it comes in useful, but to pass on what knowledge and experience I have gained from a working lifetime in mechanical engineering, hopefully in not too dry a way, which from the majority of feed back that reaches me, readers find useful. As for TiAIN appearing in the MEW next to the photos of milling cutters, there's no denying that it does, only on this occasion I didn't put it there.

Regards.

Mick

Chris Courtney28/09/2012 09:26:14
28 forum posts

I like your design John McNamara, it is a good use of laser cutting. Your joint design is not original I'm afraid, here is an example of a 3D printer constructed from laser cut plywood which uses a joint of this type **LINK** I have been using this type of joint for laser cut components for a while now. I don't mean to detract from your work, I've loved your innovative approach in your posting on Epoxy concrete machines. I suspect that this joint has been independently developed by a number of people.

Chris

David Clark 128/09/2012 09:46:49
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi Hans Rudolph.

I think the Tiain coating may have been my error.

The original was TiCN, clearly wrong,  and I changed it to TiAIN instead of TiN. by mistake.

Mick is dyslexic and sometimes errors creep in.

regards David

Edited By David Clark 1 on 28/09/2012 09:55:45

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest