Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Better Photos

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ray Lyons13/06/2012 10:21:14
160 forum posts
1 photos

Just planning my annual trip to the Bristol Exhibition. Over the years, I have had little success with photos taken inside, mainly because the lighting gives all my efforts an orange "glow" which spoils the detail. Last year, I took a small digital camera which proved useless inside the 3rd hall. This year I would like to use an SLR but do not know which filter(s) to buy for correcting the orange colouring.

Can anyone with camera expertise help with choice of filters.

mgnbuk13/06/2012 10:36:36
650 forum posts
28 photos

Digital slr or film, Ray ?

If digital, no filters are required as the white balance can be set to suit the lighting conditions. Take a piece of white paper as a reference & set a custom white balance by taking a picture of it (you would have to refer to your camera manual for the specifics) under the lighting conditions at the venue. If your digital pictures from last year just have a colour cast, this should be correctable with a photo editing software package (Photoshop, Photoplus etc).

For filters for a film camera, I suspect you would need to know specifically what type of lighting is used in the hall to get the correct value.

HTH

Nigel B.

Steambuff13/06/2012 10:37:40
503 forum posts
7 photos

I use a Digital Camera (Both SLR and Happy-Snappy) .... I just either set the Scene Mode or the White-Balance to the setting that matches the lighting .... I don't usually have any problems then.

In fact in most cases the Auto-White Balance on the DSLR gives perfect results .... (I just set the White balance to be sure)

Dave

NJH13/06/2012 10:49:50
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Hi Ray

Is this a digital SLR that you will be using? If so you must set the white balance to suit the lighting in the hall. If it is film then all is not lost but you will need to adjust the colour balance in a post capture image processing program - this would also work for your digital images from last year. If you go down the filter route from memory ( it's a long time since I used them!) an 80A filter is used to correct for daylight film used under tungsten light . I don't recall just what the lighting is at Bristol but there is more info. on filters here

I do find photography at exhibitions very difficult with lots of people about and problems with isolating the bit I want. All a case for post capture processing I fear ( which I do enough of already!).

I always go to Bristol - I really like this exhibition and each year it seems to get better!

Good luck

Norman

Ady113/06/2012 10:54:49
3563 forum posts
514 photos

I use an old digital for photos and upgraded it years ago so it could take 500 photos on an outing

Cameras don't always get the light right since they don't have a 10 terrahertz real time computer (known as the brain) to compensate

I would then take 5 to 10 photos of each shot from lower ground level to upper ground level and sort things out when I got home, discarding 90%

The limited aperture of a camera lens means a lot of light variation in situations where we don't even notice a difference

Bazyle13/06/2012 13:00:46
4985 forum posts
198 photos

As I'm going to the Bristol show for the first time this year perhps some of the photographers could display a few of their pictures from last year to give me an idea of what to expect.?

In a few years perhaps we will see 'streetview' like tours.

NJH13/06/2012 13:22:09
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Hi again Ray

Here are a couple of images I took at Bristol a few years ago showing the effect you describe and then the same image processed in Adobe Lightroom. I suspect that the lighting at the exhibition is mixed as neither the preset for tungsten nor that for flourescent light were acceptable and I had to create a custom setting. Once done though I was able to apply it to all the images.

Bazyle I will create an album with some pics .( Bristol Exhibition) I really recomend this event - smaller than some maybe but lots to see and a nice relaxed atmosphere. ( It's also a reasonable drive from Devon!).

IMAGE AS SHOT

As Shot

IMAGE CORRECTED IN LIGHTROOM

Adjusted in software

Regards

Norman

Edited By NJH on 13/06/2012 13:23:07

Edited By NJH on 13/06/2012 13:23:29

Bazyle13/06/2012 14:08:10
4985 forum posts
198 photos

Thanks Norman. Some excellent work there from both modeller and photographer. My happy snappy efforts will be more like a rusty chisel to your new Myford.

NJH13/06/2012 14:13:49
2314 forum posts
139 photos

OK Bazyle

I have now put a selection of images in my album "Bristol Show". Not terribly good quality I'm afraid, unlike the models which are stunning! Last years show had increased in size and scope quite a bit but there is time to chat with exhibitors, room to move around, a real family feel and plenty of parking. There are a range of trade folk there too - so take your favourite plastic!

N

Edited By NJH on 13/06/2012 14:14:18

Ray Lyons13/06/2012 16:39:37
160 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks to all who have replied. My main camera is an Olympus E410 digital SLR. The photo editing software I have been using is that which was supplied with the camera, perhaps I need to upgrade to a better programme.

Thanks Norman for your photos. I think that in my album there is the same photo of that car but of course uncorrected. Last year I took along a small multipurpose digital camera which I now carry on my belt. It is so handy and produces quite good pictures and video. I will take all your advice and try the SLR again this year and look forward to getting better results.

Bristol is my "local" exhibition. Living in West Wales, I can get there and back in a day. I think this is my sixth year and I still enjoy the visit. Only one sad point was not to see Myford last year.

Many thanks to all for your help,

Ray

KWIL13/06/2012 16:46:30
3164 forum posts
62 photos

Ray,

Nothing wrong with the Olympus Master software supplied with my E510. Can still get good shots inside.

Steambuff13/06/2012 16:52:16
503 forum posts
7 photos

I agree ... I have a Olympus E3 and before that a E400 ... both work well on Auto White Balance in "P" Program mode, and the latest version of the Olympus software works fine. (I do tend to use Photoshop though).

Dave

The Merry Miller13/06/2012 17:11:06
484 forum posts
97 photos

Welcome to the Olympus E510 club Kwil, nice to see another member whose got tastesmile

Len. P.

KWIL13/06/2012 18:28:48
3164 forum posts
62 photos

Thanks Len, an Olympus fan right the way through from the OM1 to date.

mgnbuk13/06/2012 18:32:39
650 forum posts
28 photos

My main camera is an Olympus E410 digital SLR

Pages 49-51 in the E410 manual (the on-line version from the Olympus website) describe the whie balance function & how to set a custom white balance.

I use a Pentax K20D, which is set in a similar manner.

Stub Mandrel13/06/2012 19:29:25
4307 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

In my digital experience (with compacts only) the 'auto' whitebalance setting works for 90% of situations, but the one exception is that I find I get better results under cloudy skies with the whitebalance set for full sunlight.

My 00 gagugealbum pictures show an interesting artefact - poor colour balance with the subjects lit by fluorescent tube overhead, but diffuse natural light from the right. I autocorrected them and the artificially lit bits have gone to a more natural tone, but the diffusely lit shadows have gone very blue!

Neil

Russell Eberhardt13/06/2012 19:50:01
2564 forum posts
85 photos
Posted by Ray Lyons on 13/06/2012 16:39:37:

Thanks to all who have replied. My main camera is an Olympus E410 digital SLR. The photo editing software I have been using is that which was supplied with the camera, perhaps I need to upgrade to a better programme.

If you want a better editing software and don't want to spend a fortune download GIMP. Iy's free and will do everything that expensive packages will. Takes a while to learn though.

Russell.

Rob keeves13/06/2012 21:02:02
29 forum posts
5 photos

Im not a camera expert, but the orange tinge to the light source in the picture looks to me, to be sodium discharge lamps, as used in most street luminares and found in large halls. Very efficent but what a horrid colour temperature.

Ed Duffner14/06/2012 00:11:10
764 forum posts
73 photos

I can't remember if it's sodium or mercury vapour lighting in the BEC halls. Many DSLR's have an auto white balance setting which compensates for most lighting situations. If you set the camera for a particular light source e.g. tungsten or fluorescent then use flash this can add a colour cast into the image i.e. if using flash set the white balance to auto or flash.

Springbok14/06/2012 00:57:55
879 forum posts
34 photos

Hi everyone
Thank you all for your lovely comments about our Bristol (Thornbury) show yes the sodium lighting is a problem and has been mentioned to me for a number of years. Please look at our web site for last years pics. You will find me either lurking on the club stand helping young people to make something, hospitality room or the bar upstairs. I am only a ghopher (you know go for this go for that) and in no way involved with the organising of this event.
Please look at
**LINK**
I would love to meet all fellow ME colleagues that contribute on this forum.

Look forward to meeting everyone

Bob Thomson.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest