Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Seig X2 Self-releasing Drawbar

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stub Mandrel01/01/2012 21:10:43
4307 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles
There seems to be a lot of interest in self-releasing drawbars.

The one below fits my Seig X2. Basically there is a thick washer on the drawbar held captive at the top of the spindle by a hollow cylinder (top cap). Note that the top lockwasher on the spindle needs to be thinned down to expose enough thread for the top cap, and also that the thread is left handed!

This one is 3/8 BSW, I keep muttering that I must make an M10 one as well - easy enogh as the top cap will work for both.

Neil

Jim Greethead02/01/2012 08:35:11
131 forum posts
8 photos
How does this work Neil? Does the top cap just press on the thick washer when the drawbar is unscrewed a bit? And do you have to let the spindle fly up to knock the drawbar loose?

Jim

PS I still have not made any progress with the "spanner/hammer" - just have to wait for the right size tube spanner to appear in the shop.

Stub Mandrel02/01/2012 19:26:00
4307 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles
There isn't a moving quill on the X2, the whole head moves. Yes you unscrew the drawbar and the washer pushes against the inside of the cap to release (always with surprisingly little pressure). The drawbar is always loose when not screwed into a taper. The top cap can get tight after several days of starts, hence the small hole in the top - pop in a nail punch and tap with hammer very lightly - much less abuse than tapping out a taper.

Neil
Jim Greethead02/01/2012 21:25:53
131 forum posts
8 photos
I just had a look at the HM45 and I think it might be possible to rig up something similar to the top cap (or at least performing the same function).

It would just be necessary to retract the quill and lock it before unscrewing the drawbar.

Hmmm...

Jim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest