Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Editing my own thread

Modifying threads that I have posted

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Haynes12/12/2011 17:58:17
168 forum posts
26 photos
I want to be able to change the text of a thread after I have posted it. This function does not seem to be present on the site, Also, I have not seen a spell check.
In the ideal world, all theads will be perfect when posted, but then mistakes will creep in and these are both useful tools for that.

Thanks
Dave
Gone Away12/12/2011 18:25:35
829 forum posts
1 photos
Editing is available but only for a short time after you post. Once the post has been emailed to all those who request it, any changes would be problematic. You also have to be logged in to edit your post.

As for spelling checkers, most browsers have available plug-in's to do this. That way you can select the dictionary that you prefer, add you own words etc.

Edited By Sid Herbage on 12/12/2011 18:26:17

David Haynes12/12/2011 21:29:18
168 forum posts
26 photos
Thanks for that. The quick edit is a new one on me, but I am familiar with the 'other' spell check. I tend to use my email software or Word, depending on what is open at the time. I am wary about the use of other spell checker and I do grimace a bit when I see how many UK publications become Americanized by relying on the Microsoft software to correct the spelling,
Dave

That is marvellous.  I have just edited this by being quick.  On other fora it is possible to edit some time after and I cannot see why that is a problem.
Dave

Edited By David Haynes on 12/12/2011 21:31:59

Gone Away12/12/2011 23:07:46
829 forum posts
1 photos
David, at the bottom of the screen on these listings is a check box saying "Send me email notifications when .....". If you check this, what is emailed to you is not simply a notification that a reply has been posted but also a copy of the text of that reply.

If the person replying were to radically change (edit) his post after other people had received a copy of the original it could get quite confusing (it's even possible that in some circumstances it could give rise to legal issues - although I doubt that seriously applies here).

What seems to happen is that there is a delay between someone posting a reply and the email notifications being sent. That "window' allows time for second thoughts and editing.

As for the spell-checker, I use Firefox and use the spelling plug-in for that. I have the British English dictionary installed, even though (or perhaps because) I'm in Canada. Any time, anywhere I type some text on a website, it automagically (spell checker doesn't like that ) checks the spelling as I go and underlines what it perceives as errors in red. I can then right-click on it and select from suggested replacements or add my word to the dictionary etc. Or indeed simply ignore it. When I installed the plug-in it had a US dictionary installed by default and, like you, I got fed up with that in short order. Once I found the British dictionary though it's been very satisfactory.
David Haynes13/12/2011 08:58:09
168 forum posts
26 photos
Hi Sid, that makes sense. I prefer spell checkers which allow me to add my spellings.
David
Gray6213/12/2011 13:07:23
1057 forum posts
16 photos
Hi Sid, Which Spell Checker do you use for Firefox ?

cheers

CB
Gone Away13/12/2011 17:20:05
829 forum posts
1 photos
Hi CB,

It's curious - when I checked my plug-ins, I couldn't find it. I checked further and it appears to be built in to FF. You may need to enable it in Options > Advanced though. Sorry for misleading - I thought it was a plug-in. It's been so long ...

See Spell

The British English Dictionary can be found at Britdic
David Haynes04/01/2012 21:02:14
168 forum posts
26 photos
Further to this post, on another recent post I erroneously put in a long link without editing it Amadeal XJ300 miller T slots (02/01/2012 23:58:27) causing problems on some displays. Whilst the moderator could change it, I was too tired to notice and correct it myself in time. Shame really. Also, I have noticed that within the Message function, there is a spell checker, odd it is not on the main site also.
D

Edited By David Haynes on 04/01/2012 21:02:50

Sam Spoons04/04/2020 11:32:46
94 forum posts

Zombie thread resurrection but, I think, on topic.

How long is the edit window for posts?

Oldiron04/04/2020 11:38:33
963 forum posts
40 photos

I think only about 15 minutes but cannot swear to that.

regards

Circlip04/04/2020 13:02:26
1500 forum posts

" On other fora it is possible to edit some time after and I cannot see why that is a problem."

A. Problem going back to already posted threads, doesn't "Bump" the posting.

B. When some members "Throw a bezzy" and delete some postings, it makes a mockery of some threads.

DAMHIFK

On SOME forums, muderators can manage this.

Regards Ian.

not done it yet04/04/2020 13:20:26
6736 forum posts
20 photos

You’ve left an’r’ out of muderators.😀. Or did you mean someone else?

Neil Wyatt04/04/2020 19:37:56
18993 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Hi David,

You can either use the built in dictionary for your browser (which should allow you to add words) or the forum editor's one, but if the latter you need to enable it (or run a check) on each new message.

Click the ABC icon, then 'enable SCAYT'. You will then be able to do things like choose a language or add to your own dictionary.

Neil

ken king, King Design17/06/2021 21:05:33
144 forum posts
239 photos

Hi Neil, I've inadvertently duplicated my post 'A bowmaker's jig', the two versions appearing seconds apart in the Work completed etc, forum. No idea how I did it Apologies, and will you kindly eliminate one of them so all replies or viewings relate to just one of them? Your help greatly appreciated,

Ken

JasonB18/06/2021 06:52:01
22588 forum posts
2641 photos
1 articles

Done.

For future ref if anyone duplicate posts they can click the "Report" tab which will bring it to the Mods attention a bit quicker as another forum member did in this case.

Edited By JasonB on 18/06/2021 06:53:25

Circlip18/06/2021 09:13:19
1500 forum posts

Spline chunk on this site died when it was recently "Modernized". Why should you have to use a third party tool to get the spullin rite? If the site can put a red line underneath the offending offence,why can't it give a means of correction? Probably because the "Code" writers (when did programmers die?) are either incapable or wrapped in their own superiority to listen and action basic requests to make life easier. Why are post numbers easy to put on other sites to reply without using a page full of photos and text?

Regards Ian.

not done it yet18/06/2021 10:51:53
6736 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by JasonB on 18/06/2021 06:52:01:

Done.

For future ref if anyone duplicate posts they can click the "Report" tab which will bring it to the Mods attention a bit quicker as another forum member did in this case.

Edited By JasonB on 18/06/2021 06:53:25

Or just delete the contents of one listing, if the time limit has not passed for editing (as seemed to be possible in this case)

edited - back again - still in (plenty of) time to edit again.

And yet again🙂

Edited By not done it yet on 18/06/2021 10:52:19

Edited By not done it yet on 18/06/2021 11:06:23

Edited By not done it yet on 18/06/2021 11:18:16

ega18/06/2021 11:04:31
2499 forum posts
200 photos

Post numbers would be really helpful eg in avoiding posts which consist of a quote of a lengthy previous post with one or two new words added.

not done it yet18/06/2021 11:27:34
6736 forum posts
20 photos

Edit option gone now.

Derek Lane18/06/2021 11:59:49
721 forum posts
165 photos

If you want to spell check then press the ABC button, at the top of the Post a reply box and then press the Check spelling at the bottom of the list

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest