Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Dore-Westbury info?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cornish Jack10/12/2011 11:09:41
1123 forum posts
159 photos
G'day all.
Following a near disaster (motor fell 8' off the D-W mill -with no damage!!), I have re-instated and beefed up the mounting but the belt tension has been guessed at. Does anyone have the 'words and music' for the (I think) Mk1 version including recommended belt tension setting, please?
TIA
Rgds
Bill
mgj10/12/2011 17:58:47
1008 forum posts
14 photos
For the Mk 2 version there was no specific belt tension, beyond tightening it till it didn't slip.

The 1/4" round belts are no longer available, but the 7mm transparent round poly belting from Hemingway works well, at the recommended tension for that. There is a cutting length - I forget the detail now, but the belt is so much short for every foot of run. Its on his website.

Works well for (5 years!)and hasn't upset the bearings in any way., so I doubt its that critical.

The other way to find out is to look at typical loads for motors, and see what they recommend.
Cornish Jack10/12/2011 20:19:35
1123 forum posts
159 photos
Thank you MGJ.
The drive belt on this one is 'standard' V belt - same belt as came with the machine (secondhand) 20+ years ago. Not had a great deal of use, so little worn.The revised motor mounting plate 'fix' moved the motor a bit further away, hence the re-adjustment. Sounds like 'suck it and see'.
Rgds
Bill
Cornish Jack06/06/2020 10:30:10
1123 forum posts
159 photos

Just had a cracked casting repaired on my D-W and taking the opportunity to fit a set of magnetic DRO scales. The Y axis scale is slightly problematical because the base casting sides are angled where the scales would best fit. Have any owners done the installation and have any recommendations for this , please?

rgds

Bill

Brian Wood06/06/2020 10:46:25
2190 forum posts
37 photos

Hello Bill,

I have fitted Newall scales to both table axes on my D-W Mk II.

I didn't record any of the details of the installation at the time, but I don't recall any difficulties, it was over 10 years ago now, but I am happy to try and get some pictures to send you.

I can't for some tedious reason attach stuff like that to correspondence on the Forum any more, there is some compatibility problem I have neither the time nor patience to resolve, but I can send to your email address of course if you think those might be helpful

Regards Brian

email address wood_y(at)btinternet(dot)com

Cornish Jack06/06/2020 11:21:28
1123 forum posts
159 photos

Many thanks Brian - kind offer, gratefully accepted.

I'll email separately.

rgds

Bill

Mike Crossfield06/06/2020 11:27:58
216 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Bill

I fitted a Machine-DRO system with magnetic scales to my Mk1 D-W a couple or three years ago. On the y-axis l mounted the scale on length of aluminium angle attached to the underside of the carriage, and I mounted the read head on a shop-made adjustable bracket bolted to the base casting. There are a couple of photos in my album which show the x and y scale mountings. If, like me, you want to mount the y axis scale behind the table, you will need to design the mountings very carefully to avoid losing x axis travel. It can be done though!

Regards

Mike

Cornish Jack06/06/2020 11:42:34
1123 forum posts
159 photos

Brian - you have a PM.

rgds

Bill

Cornish Jack06/06/2020 11:48:10
1123 forum posts
159 photos

Thank you Mike - I'll have a look at the photos. I had considered something sounding similar but using square ali tube and putting the scale on that and the read head on the cross slide. I take your caveat on the x axis.

rgds

Bill

Cornish Jack06/06/2020 12:08:26
1123 forum posts
159 photos

Mike - Just had a look at your album photos .... hmmm - obviously a D-W, "but not as we mere mortals know it, Jim"

That's 'work of art' territory!! I reckon Edgar and Arnold would be rather impressed !

Enough of the tool jealousy - thank you for the photos - they are useful pointers.

rgds

Bill

old mart06/06/2020 21:01:32
1795 forum posts
138 photos

Have you looked at the lathes UK Dore Westbury section?

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest