Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

midlands model exhibition

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
RICHARD GREEN 217/10/2011 08:30:51
324 forum posts
192 photos
Has anyone been to the Midlands model exhibition this year, Is it any different to last year, I was going today (Monday) but can't get too excited about it for some reason, 60 miles each way, don't really need anything,
perhaps I'll go tomorrow, what do you all think ?

Richard.
Niloch17/10/2011 09:21:21
371 forum posts
Went yesterday, 93 miles one way. Signs warning of heavy traffic around the Silverstone area, however thankfully, no delays. The exhibition was noticeably more pleasant after, say, 14:45 when the crowds were thinning out.
A bonus, whilst sitting in the car, waiting for my passenger, was distant sight of the Vulcan in flight. Wonderful day.

Chris Trice17/10/2011 10:21:14
1371 forum posts
10 photos
I went on the first day on the Friday and enjoyed it. About the same as last year I'd say. Had a big list of odds and sods to get, pretty much all of which I got there.
Terryd17/10/2011 13:34:40
1936 forum posts
179 photos
Posted by Chris Trice on 17/10/2011 10:21:14:
I went on the first day on the Friday and enjoyed it. About the same as last year I'd say. Had a big list of odds and sods to get, pretty much all of which I got there.
Hi,

went also on Friday with a long list. The weather was excellent and there was a good turnout of traction engines as well as the usual excellent static displays. I got ripped off over some silver solder though, I should've gone to CuP Alloys who had it at a respectable price.

Regards

Terry
David Costello17/10/2011 17:14:38
79 forum posts
9 photos
Great show ,nice models but expensive brass etc.
Dave
Nicholas Farr17/10/2011 21:00:43
3150 forum posts
1435 photos
Hi, I also went on Friday, had an enjoyable day, and watched a casting demo, the guy who did that made his furnace from and domestic spin dryer and other bits and bobs from domestic appliances. Got most of the things I was after and as an extra, even bought castings for a little model engine with my namesake that was used on Savages Organs which accopanied their fairground Gallopers, don't know when I'll get round to machining them up though. Didn't manage to see the taction engines in steam though. My round trip was about 240 miles, and I think it was worth it.

Regards Nick
RICHARD GREEN 217/10/2011 21:52:46
324 forum posts
192 photos
Thanks everyone,
all good comments, I think I'll go and have a look tomorrow,

If anyones interested I'm 8 months into building a 6" scale Burrell traction engine by EKP supplies, I'll put some pictures on here when I get round to it.

Thanks,

Richard.
JasonB18/10/2011 07:21:24
22017 forum posts
2540 photos
1 articles
For those of us who did not go quite a few photos posted by one of the members of Traction Talk Forum in this album

J

mick H18/10/2011 07:53:05
763 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 17/10/2011 21:00:43:
Hi, I also went on Friday, had an enjoyable day, and watched a casting demo, the guy who did that made his furnace from and domestic spin dryer and other bits and bobs from domestic appliances. Got most of the things I was after and as an extra, even bought castings for a little model engine with my namesake that was used on Savages Organs which accopanied their fairground Gallopers, don't know when I'll get round to machining them up though. Didn't manage to see the taction engines in steam though. My round trip was about 240 miles, and I think it was worth it.

Regards Nick

Nick, what scale is the engine that you bought the castings for?

JasonB18/10/2011 16:42:37
22017 forum posts
2540 photos
1 articles
That will be the 1/6th scale engine that Reeves do.

J
RICHARD GREEN 218/10/2011 18:09:23
324 forum posts
192 photos
I went to the Midlands model exhibition today (Tuesday) and had a good time, bought almost everything I needed, The outside steamers packed up a bit early I thought, and I didn't get a chance to see them, Traders were also packing up early, but I suppose it is the last day and they have got businesses to run so I can't blame them too much.
All in all I had a very good day, it was well worth going.

Richard.
Nicholas Farr18/10/2011 18:54:17
3150 forum posts
1435 photos
Hi Mick, Jason is correct, 1/16th from Reeves.

PS. hi Jason thanks for the link to the photos, especially of those of the ones outside which I somehow didn't get round to look at. But the Meccano Wild Mouse display is one I meant to take a picture of when it was a little less busy, but forgot, I though it very impressive.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 18/10/2011 19:26:20

Jim Nolan18/10/2011 20:44:56
77 forum posts

I went on Friday and Saturday the Saturday to catch a lecture which was severely underwhelming unless you were building gauge 1.

On another note is the worst thing in the world, giving a lecture where you know someone in the audience and keep referring to them about something no one else has a bloody clue what you’re on about?

Still I did buy 6ft of 1/2X1/2” X 1/16 angle and a few other bits and bobs which made my 500m round trip sort of not worth it.

Terryd19/10/2011 13:51:18
1936 forum posts
179 photos
Hi All,

I have put all of my pictures from the exhibition up on my Flickr account. Here's the link to the Slideshow. I haven't put them all in order and I missed many items and displays as I was getting shoved around a bit by the crowds later on and it became almost impossible to get clear photographs, but it may give you a flavour of the stuff on show. 

You can stop the show, navigate or exit at any time.  just hover pointer over the screen and the control bar appears at the bottom.  Move mouse off and the whole picture is displayed.

Regards

Terry

Edited By Terryd on 19/10/2011 13:53:42

DerryUK19/10/2011 16:42:23
125 forum posts
<I was getting shoved around a bit by the crowds>
So this year I went on the Tuesday, it was quiet and very pleasant.

Derry.
T.Swinfield07/11/2011 21:59:38
9 forum posts
hello all
i went to the midlands exhibition and spoke to the men machining a small engine from plans, i ask what engine it was and where the plans were from, they gave me an internet address but i have lost it. i think the small engine was call "jenny" .

can anyone help with infomation

thanking you all tony s.
Terryd08/11/2011 05:29:26
1936 forum posts
179 photos
Hi Tony,

Welcome.

If it was a very small engine it may have been a version of Tubal Cain's design from his book 'Simple Model Steam Engines' called 'Jenny Wren', a small vertical boilered engine. The SMEE use one of his designs on their training days. If I remember correctly it is the design called 'Polly'.

I may be wrong of course - I often am- but a member of that organisation may be able to enlighten us. A useful site for free small steam engine plans is here at John-Tom.com.

Best regards

Terry
Roger Woollett08/11/2011 12:18:46
127 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Terryd on 08/11/2011 05:29:26:
Hi Tony,

Welcome.

If it was a very small engine it may have been a version of Tubal Cain's design from his book 'Simple Model Steam Engines' called 'Jenny Wren', a small vertical boilered engine. The SMEE use one of his designs on their training days. If I remember correctly it is the design called 'Polly'.

I may be wrong of course - I often am- but a member of that organisation may be able to enlighten us. A useful site for free small steam engine plans is here at John-Tom.com.

Best regards

Terry
Tubal Cain's Polly is indeed the basis for one of the SMEE courses. It is relatively simple, made from stock materials (no castings) and makes a good introduction to many of the skills and techniques required by an aspiring model engineer. We do depart from the book in a number of places to emphasise current practice. For instance the boiler is made from seamless copper tube rather than rolled from copper or brass sheet as described by Tubal Cain.

Jenny Wren is much smaller and quite a challenge to get to work.

Roger Woollett
RICHARD GREEN 208/11/2011 17:58:04
324 forum posts
192 photos

Hello Roger,
I made a "Jenny Wren" about 1981, It ran OK on compressed air, but I could never get it to run by steam, the firebox seemed to be just too small to support any decent flame, the wick holder was made from an old .22 brass bullet case, with a small piece of 3/16 wick in it, with all this lot in the firebox there was no room for any decent flame, I think the whole boiler and firebox was made from a piece of 22mm copper pipe.
I think the "Polly" engine would be a lot better engine to make, not much more work, and a decent engine when you've finished.

Richard
T.Swinfield08/11/2011 22:56:49
9 forum posts
hello all

thank you for replying to my call for information on the engine being made at the midlands exhibition.

its nice to know that a i can ask for help and the following day people have responded.

thanks again, Tony s

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest