Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Classified Adds

Classified Index Unreadable

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian04/07/2011 08:20:08
40 forum posts
1 photos
Not sure if its my PC , (I'm using Explorer 8) I find all the sections of the Index to the Classified Adds are overwritten, rendering them unreadable and unuseable.
Advice please if anybody is having the same problem.
Brian
David Clark 104/07/2011 09:06:38
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi there
It is fine.
Occasionally someone has a problem but each time
I check them they seem fine.
regards David
Weary04/07/2011 09:06:40
388 forum posts
1 photos
I also have the same problem with a mess of overwriting when looking at the classified ads.

The way I have found to get round it is when on the (first) page with the overwritten text go to the line just below the pictures near the top, text as follows:

Browse by category or view all for sale ads.

Then, click on the 'view all for sale' ads link, this then gives me the ads nicely and clearly listed with no overprinting.
Maybe this works for you too?

Regards, & 'enjoy the shopping',
Phil
Steambuff04/07/2011 09:07:54
539 forum posts
7 photos
I have seen the problem in IE9 (64 Bit) using Win 7 (64 Bit) ...

Enabling Compatability Mode fixed it for me.

Not sure if this will work with IE8 or not.

Dave

DerryUK04/07/2011 10:59:16
125 forum posts
The ads are OK with Firefox 4.0.

Derry.
DMB04/07/2011 11:30:32
1356 forum posts
1 photos
I have had the same over-written ads prob for a long time. Complained but no listens! Wots new?
Have given up trying, just do same as "Weary" and all is fine.
Just seems a pity that it cant apparently be sorted out properly.
John
Speedy Builder504/07/2011 13:19:37
2654 forum posts
219 photos
yes - same problem here, thought it was because I used a notebook - is it Pc related as I expect most 'editors' use Macs

I use IE8 on Windows XP
Steambuff04/07/2011 13:28:25
539 forum posts
7 photos
It is likely to be web developers trying to be cleaver, and using un-supported features and not following guidelines. (And of course failing to test on the more common browsers/versions)

Dave

AES04/07/2011 15:29:12
85 forum posts
1 photos
Weary,
QUOTE:
I also have the same problem with a mess of overwriting when looking at the classified ads.

The way I have found to get round it is when on the (first) page with the overwritten text go to the line just below the pictures near the top, text as follows:

Browse by category or view all for sale ads.

Then, click on the 'view all for sale' ads link, this then gives me the ads nicely and clearly listed with no overprinting.
Maybe this works for you too?

Regards, & 'enjoy the shopping'.
UNQUOTE:

I have exactly the same problem "but in reverse" - i.e. down on the Forum page, bottom LH side, it lists a few of the latest For Sale ads (which if I click on, do come up perfectly OK). Then there's a last line down there which says "More For Sale Ads". When I click on that I get precisely the jumbled, overwritten, unreadable mess you that (and others) mention. And it's always been like that for me.

BUT, funnily enough, if I click on the link you put into your post (above) then I get a complete list which is perfectly readable. "Funny" that.

BTW I have MS XP Pro with Internet Explorer 7 (I'm alway a VERY reluctant upgrader and NEVER change the software provided by my IT support company for other stuff).

FWIW

Krgds
AES

Edited By AES on 04/07/2011 15:31:56

David Clark 104/07/2011 15:47:59
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi There
Anyone who has a problem with the ads, email me direct with a screen shot, browser type and version and operating system.
Then we will have a look at fixing it.
regards David

Keith Long04/07/2011 15:49:42
879 forum posts
11 photos

Hi

Just to give you another view of things, using Win XP and Opera as the browser the classifieds all show up perfectly.

Before you blame the web page author you should be aware that Microsoft considers itself to be above and beyond following internationally agreed protocols for thing such as web page rendering, and to be fair most of the other browsers to a lesser extent don't render everything exactly as they should either. Having written a website, what took the longest was getting the pages to render acceptably in different browsers, and then I was checking in IE7, Firefox and Opera. Getting Firefox and Opera right was a doddle compared to sorting IE7. Also I wonder why IE9 needs a "compatability mode" to emulate IE8, if it was written correctly it would be able to render IE8 compatible pages from the off - have Microsoft never heard of "backwards compatability"?

Keith

ps Web pages are already in existence - it's down to the writer of the BROWSER to make sure that EXISTING pages are rendered correctly NOT down to the web page owner to change to match the new browser. New web pages are a different matter, if the author wishes to take advantage of new rendering methods/ techniques on offer then fine, BUT they MUST check that all browsers render the pages correctly.

HasBean04/07/2011 16:41:21
141 forum posts
32 photos
Well I've tried;
XP pro (32 bit) IE8, IE7, Firefox 4, Firefox 5, Opera
Vista home premium (32 bit) IE9, IE8, Firefox 4, Firefox 5, Opera
Windoze 7 (64 bit) home premium IE8, Firefox 4, firefox 5

Not had a problem on any of them

Paul
David Clark 104/07/2011 18:47:02
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi Paul
You must try harder.
Other people can create problems.
regards David

blowlamp04/07/2011 19:50:12
1663 forum posts
106 photos
For me, clicking the green Classified button at the top of this page causes things to appear with the ads scrambled.

You could try this in Internet Explorer 9, because it works on my Windows 7 system.

Press Alt+X to access the Tools menu and select F12 developer tools.
Access Document Mode, which is the last option on the menu bar and change it to Internet Explorer 8 standards.

Press F12 to exit and check if it's done the trick.

Martin.

Charlie,04/07/2011 21:25:55
76 forum posts
1 photos
I do get the problem from time to time, But as i come on here nearly every evening for a little
while I dont let it bother me,As the next evening it is useualy ok,and i dont actualy miss much,
Its not as if the items on the classifieds are flying out the window, Some of them have been up for so long i have come to regard them as old freinds,

DMB04/07/2011 23:30:50
1356 forum posts
1 photos
Wow! Since my earlier post around 11.30, I can now go in to For Sale or wanteds and they`re all presented as they should be. Thank you David.
John
DMB04/07/2011 23:49:47
1356 forum posts
1 photos
I cannot understand the need to use twitter or facebook when we already have this forum to discuss things. From what I have read, facebook appears to be a security nightmare and I`m reluctant to use it. I do read other mags, e.g., Computeractive to keep up with whats going on.
John
JasonB05/07/2011 07:21:21
23088 forum posts
2774 photos
1 articles
Working for me now.

J
David Clark 105/07/2011 09:04:22
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi There
We have fixed this.
From the screen shots supplied it looked like a consistent problem.
regards David

David Clark 105/07/2011 09:06:10
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi John Coleman
Facebook and twitter are primarily to attract new visitors to the Model Engineer Exhibition. Perhaps to the magazines as well.
They are not there as a replacement to this site.
regards David

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate