Aircraft General Discussion

This is where all the off topic discussion about aeroplanes should go

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Johnston19/08/2019 12:14:47
4851 forum posts
543 photos
Posted by DrDave on 19/08/2019 11:07:43:

After Andrew’s comment about watching Gransden’s gliders online, I had a look at their website & found the relevant page.

Known as 'maggot' racing. It keeps the crews amused during competitions, and allows them to snigger at the other crew if a rival is seen to be scrabbling in the weeds.

The official name of the system is Flarm and is an anti-collision system. Each glider has a unit which takes GPS data and communicates with a ground station. I'm not sure where the computations take place but the unit in the glider has a clock face. If there's another equipped aircraft close by you get a green LED around the clock face and one for above or below. If the LEDs go red then that means a potential collision if you don't do something. One problem is that the circle provides information on track, so the glider isn't necessarily where the LED indicates. That can result in a lot of head swivelling, and it's not unusual to never see the other glider. If the LEDs are red then I can safely say that causes a LOT of frantic head swivelling!

I wouldn't be surprised if Flarm became mandatory in the UK. It's already mandatory in the Alps.

Andrew

John Alexander Stewart19/08/2019 16:35:30
751 forum posts
51 photos

Model Engineering content. The Duxford comment above kindled this thought.

Stearman Biplane at Duxford. Was owned by one George Lovett last of Lyn, Ontario, Canada. He was in the RAF, flew spitfires at the end of the war, then lots of jets, including 11 atlantic crossing deliveries of the Sabre?? back when. Left mid-50s, to Canada, where he crop-dusted.

And, was a good model engineer; traveling to lots of shows in the north east of North America.

The story from George about the Stearman at Duxford - they were playing cards one rainy morning down east in Canada when some royal navy person came in, and asked "are those your aircraft?" George said "yeah, Want to buy one?" And, they did. Helicoptered it over to a Royal Navy ship, and the rest is history. He still had a couple more in rural hangers, so loosing one for $$ was likely not an issue.

My first thought was "yeah, right". The Duxford one says on its web page "Evergreen Aviation Services" then one day I found his business address in the Canadian Government directory, which matched his home address. Here's one page describing spraying in New Brunswick:

New Brunswick Spraying Companies

I really liked George. Quiet man, had to listen carefully. Crashed 3 aircraft, lived to tell the tale. He used to drive his camper van around to meets; one meet I left a book in his camper on "Canada's WWII War Ace", with a note saying that I thought he'd enjoy the read. Got a note back (still have it) giving his thoughts as a contemporary, not having been beside the war ace, but in proximity. Did not know at the time George had been assigned to the Med flying spitfires, probably would not have known if I had not dropped off the book.

George lived to a ripe old age.

Neil Wyatt29/08/2019 14:15:32
16559 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

Holy cow! These passes are getting lower and lower. This is the third time a pair of Typhoons have gone directly overhead. Missed the first one, the second was certainly no higher than 100 feet. I've never seen a jet fly that low before except once or twice in Snowdonia.

Neil

Ian S C30/08/2019 12:36:12
7447 forum posts
230 photos

Neil, they are keeping an eye on you, a fairly brief one at that. It's rare to see military aircraft around here, last one was a P-3 Orion a couple of years ago at least, atv about 10,000ft.

Ian S C

roy entwistle30/08/2019 13:17:26
1033 forum posts

Neil Get on the higher parts of the M62 motorway and military aircraft will be in the valley below you

Can be frightening

Roy

Neil Wyatt30/08/2019 13:26:26
16559 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

I'm clearly on a major route, there used to be cooling towers half a mile away on the other side of the Trent. Basically I think they were used as a landmark and the route is still used, partly as it means planes pass a smidgin south of Burton on Trent.

I've had Chinooks and Hercules (among others) come over at altitudes where you feel you could reach up and touch them. Lots of private planes and even micro-lites come across, mostly at about 80-degrees to the military route, as the navigate by following the A38. I've even had a spitfire (and the vulcan close by).

No chance of a collision - the military ones would just fly under the microlights and gypsy moths...

Neil

Nick Clarke 330/08/2019 13:34:48
387 forum posts
10 photos

It must be hard to dismiss it as just paranoia when they are sending fast jets out to get you ............. 😀

mark costello 130/08/2019 21:27:59
541 forum posts
12 photos

Over here We used to have a tall building that had an outside elevator 40 stories tall. An elevator ride was free so I could afford to take a ride ( ). One time the Wifey was with Me as We approached the top. I pointed that We were above a Police Helicopter by a good bit and She just about squeezed the hand rail in half. News stated the electric cost for one ride was 1/2 $USD.

martin perman30/08/2019 21:41:41
1649 forum posts
67 photos

I found Symonds Yat was a good place to watch aircraft, its 120 metres above the river Wye, I came close to strangling a mate because he had my binoculars around his neck wheh a Jaguar flew about 60 metres below us travelling down the valley.

Martin P

Andrew Johnston05/09/2019 13:01:47
4851 forum posts
543 photos

Nice day here, blue sky and some high level cloud. Should be good for my biannual flight with an instructor later this afternoon. Just heard something interesting, rushed outside to see the B17 flying over at about a thousand feet,heading NW.

Andrew

martin perman19/09/2019 22:05:22
1649 forum posts
67 photos

This evening my wife and I were sat at Everton Rail Crossing watching the trains on the East Coast line and I happened to have the car roof open fully when I heard the distinct sound of a Harvards propeller blades when directly over us at about 500 ft a yellow Harvard in very close formation with Shuttleworths Lysander passed over us and circled around and moved away,

Martin P

Andrew Johnston20/09/2019 16:06:25
4851 forum posts
543 photos

During my cycle ride this afternoon a couple of piston engine (radial) fighters flew over in close formation. The wings were clipped and had a distinctive curve on the trailing edge. Both aircraft also had invasion stripes. Not sure what they were; Sea Furies or Thunderbolts?

Andrew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest