Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Aircraft General Discussion

This is where all the off topic discussion about aeroplanes should go

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Graham Titman07/11/2019 19:08:17
77 forum posts
8 photos

Hi it seemed long for a piston prop i/e small light aircraft the wings looked thin and i think the engines were on the wing not like the drones i found on google at the rear. It was pitch black and i was so surprised to see something so low and it was gone in a few seconds so was going reasonable fast. The thing i cannot get out of my mind is how quiet it was two hundred yards and you could not hear it at all.It was also on the same flight path we sometimes see the Red Arrows on.Sorry to be so vauge but it was in sight for less than 10 seconds.Graham

Martin Connelly18/11/2019 16:13:20
960 forum posts
115 photos

summit.jpg

Spotted this flying caravan today, well it is boxy and as slow as a caravan (I was outside and had time to go in and get my camera). It seems to be a Ledcor/Summitair aircraft but they are based in Canada's Northwest so it seems out of place. Does anyone recognise what it is or know where it is based?

Martin C

martin perman18/11/2019 16:39:11
1738 forum posts
70 photos

Martin,

Its a Short SC7 Skyvan made by Shorts of Belfast, **LINK** they tend to be used these days as a bus for parachutists.

Martin P

Martin Connelly18/11/2019 16:46:25
960 forum posts
115 photos

Thanks, your link does mention Summit Air as operators of two of them. Stall speed of 69mph which is why it seemed to be travelling very slowly (flaps down in photo).

Martin C

Andrew Johnston18/11/2019 16:48:29
5115 forum posts
594 photos

Good grief, you need to be poised over the keyboard ready to post these days, or you get gazumped!

The Skyvan morphed into stretched versions, the Shorts 330 and 360. The wing always looked far too small, especially for an aircraft that could operate from relatively short runways.

Andrew

Edited By Andrew Johnston on 18/11/2019 16:49:03

martin perman18/11/2019 17:09:21
1738 forum posts
70 photos
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 18/11/2019 16:48:29:

Good grief, you need to be poised over the keyboard ready to post these days, or you get gazumped!

The Skyvan morphed into stretched versions, the Shorts 330 and 360. The wing always looked far too small, especially for an aircraft that could operate from relatively short runways.

Andrew

Edited By Andrew Johnston on 18/11/2019 16:49:03

Sorry Andrew devil I've been out doing my part time delivery job this afternoon and when I got home I made SWMBO and I a cup of tea and I sat down with it and saw an email and answered the thread, I may not know much but aircraft recognition is as you know an interest of mine.

Martin P

Marischal Ellis18/11/2019 17:53:15
27 forum posts
11 photos

A bit of a come down from the mighty Sunderland. Best wishes to all.

Buffer18/11/2019 18:00:26
131 forum posts
35 photos

Parachutist have the right idea. Jump out of that shed as soon as you can.

Edited By Richard brown 1 on 18/11/2019 18:02:06

Andrew Johnston18/11/2019 20:40:39
5115 forum posts
594 photos
Posted by martin perman on 18/11/2019 17:09:21:
.........but aircraft recognition is as you know an interest of mine.

Quite so. I knew it was a Shorts, but I had to search to find it was a Skyvan, which is why you beat me to the reply.

Andrew

Geoff Theasby18/11/2019 22:30:35
599 forum posts
15 photos

My pilot friend says the Skyvan had a roof hatch in the cockpit, which always leaked..

Cornish Jack27/11/2019 19:10:38
990 forum posts
137 photos

Sad news

No doubt Ian SC will be aware. **LINK**

rgds

Bill

Mike Poole01/12/2019 10:00:10
2330 forum posts
53 photos

A sonic boom has made BBC headline news, when I was a boy they were so common you barely looked up to try and see the aircraft. Seems to cause consternation now but I suppose we do have a few more causes of loud bangs. I was mysteriously woken up at the moment the Buncefield depot exploded and I am about 35 miles away.

Mike

martin perman01/12/2019 15:02:54
1738 forum posts
70 photos

As an aviation enthusiast I've never heard a sonic boom and even though im only 35 miles from Buncefield I never heard that either but I dont have a problem with RAF sonic booms when allowed as its much better than a rogue aircraft any day.

Martin P

Andrew Johnston01/12/2019 15:45:30
5115 forum posts
594 photos

I didn't hear Buncefield as we were on our way back from gliding in Northumberland. Although it didn't affect us we wondered why there were lots of signs on the A1 announcing that the M1 was closed. My mum in Bedford claimed she heard/felt something at about the right time.

I heard my first sonic boom a few years ago, at the time of the London Olympics. I was in the workshop and there was a loud boom followed by a smaller boom. The garage door visibly shock. We don't have mains gas in the street so I wondered whose oil or propane tank had gone up. Half the street were outside looking to see which house was a smoking ruin. I told my neighbour it sounded like a sonic boom. She was very dismissive, said she'd heard one before and this boom wasn't right. Then the BBC news announced that two Typhoons had been scrambled to intercept a non-communicating aircraft, and had broken the sound barrier on the way down to London. My neighbour had to eat humble pie!

Andrew

DrDave01/12/2019 16:14:28
181 forum posts
34 photos

I experienced a few sonic booms whilst I was working in Switzerland (I think that the Swiss airforce might be a little more relaxed about speed excursions than the RAF is). First time, we were working in a Portacabin which shook like the devil. Even the floor shook! I looked around to comment about the apparent explosion, but none of my Swiss colleagues had batted an eyelid. It then dawned that it had been a sonic boom.

Mike Poole01/12/2019 17:21:05
2330 forum posts
53 photos

I suppose the period when I remember them as commonplace was living in Germany from 1963 to 1966, job to know whether it was the RAF or the Luftwaffe, skywriting was another regular event over the skies of Düsseldorf.

Mike

Martin Connelly01/12/2019 17:26:00
960 forum posts
115 photos

From experience I can state that sonic booms and ejection seats going off sound very similar.

Martin C

JA01/12/2019 17:38:13
852 forum posts
48 photos

In Bristol we used to get the remnants of Concorde's sonic boom. Concorde, as it approached the mouth of the Bristol Channel, decelerated to subsonic speed but, I believe, the accompanying shock wave would continue travelling ahead of the aircraft weakening all the time. By the time it reached Bristol it was more of a distant rumble than a double bang. The sound of Concorde's engines followed. This was most noticeable on cold, quiet, winter evenings when it flew over at 10 o'clock.

JA

martin perman01/12/2019 19:52:47
1738 forum posts
70 photos
Posted by Martin Connelly on 01/12/2019 17:26:00:

From experience I can state that sonic booms and ejection seats going off sound very similar.

Martin C

Martin,

As a passenger I wouldn't be to chuffed if I heard a bang and saw a flash from the front of a passenger plane cheeky

Martin P

Samsaranda01/12/2019 20:02:15
829 forum posts
5 photos

Martin C, are you saying you recognise the bang of an ejection seat because you exited an aircraft using one?
Dave W

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest