Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Aircraft General Discussion

This is where all the off topic discussion about aeroplanes should go

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Lawes07/12/2018 18:08:19
253 forum posts

I used to be the manager of the Accident Data Recorder Services dept. at Boscombe Down. They have a large collection of the different types of recorders that have been used over the years (some looking very second hand indeed!), including some that even recorded onto wire as it was more resistant to heat than traditional tape.

Most interesting to me was an accident data recorder that had been recovered from deep ocean water. The individual transistors on the circuit boards had been crushed like recycled cans by the depth/pressure. When they recover the recorders from water they try to keep them wet as the salt crystals only start to form once it has dried out.

Andrew Johnston07/12/2018 19:35:49
4370 forum posts
511 photos
Posted by Jon Lawes on 07/12/2018 18:08:19:

I used to be the manager of the Accident Data Recorder Services dept. at Boscombe Down. They have a large collection of the different types of recorders that have been used over the years (some looking very second hand indeed!), including some that even recorded onto wire as it was more resistant to heat than traditional tape.

That's interesting, I worked at Boscombe Down, on the MRCA, for a short period as part of my thick sandwich course with MoD. That would have been the summer of 1979 I think.

I had it in my mind that the original recorders used wire, but changed to mag tape as the number of parameters increased.

Andrew

Neil Wyatt07/12/2018 21:49:30
15425 forum posts
651 photos
72 articles
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 07/12/2018 14:52:02:

Back in the 1970s, when I started at RAE Farnborough I got a personal tour of the AAIB facility, as my father knew a number of people there due to his group at RAE Bedford consulting on a number of helicopter and auto gyro accidents. Two piles of wreckage in the hangar remain with me. One, a Jaguar that hit a hill at 400 knots, nothing left that was bigger than a fist. Two, a Skylark (wooden glider) that had been struck by lightning in cloud. Most of the wood had exploded as the water turned to flash steam, but I remember the steel control cables being melted and the ends fused into a ball. Sadly the pilot didn't survive, but hit the ground with his parachute intact but unopened.

Andrew

Back in the 70s it was my ambition to work there figuring out why planes had crashed!

Then in 6th form I discovered biology was even better

Neil

Samsaranda07/12/2018 22:24:35
582 forum posts
4 photos

First posting out of trade training when I joined the Air Force in the early sixties was to a Salvage and Transportation Unit, we were responsible for the recovery and transporting crashed aircraft in the southern half of the UK. We recovered military and civil accidents and so visited the AAIB hangar at Farnborough a number of times. Not a pleasant job and in those days no such thing as counselling.

Dave W

Cornish Jack08/12/2018 00:06:28
856 forum posts
105 photos

Had a couple of years as Ops and S&R on D Sqdn at Boscombe in the late 70s. Some of the trials flying was unusual to say the least - such as carrying six 'dummies' on a 'jungle penetrator' suspended 300' below a Seaking at slowly increasing speeds. From memory, we got to 40 knots before the rope went into violent gyrations and detached itself!! I believe this was classified as a 'failure'.surprise

Andrew -"...on the MRCA" ... Multi Racial Cost Accumulator, as it was known , at the timecheeky

rgds

Bill

HughE08/12/2018 00:29:59
106 forum posts

In the early part of my career I worked for Daval in Perivale , Middx. They made wire recorders for aircraft . One was featured on Tomorrow's World and nick named the Red Egg, it was used on Concorde. An early version had 2 spools and the wire was transferred between the two, that auto reversed. It had a very neat double helix wire guide to ensure the wire was laid out on the receiving spool in an orderly manner , this also that reversed at the end of each travel without snatching. It was nightmare reading the data back when the wire broke. It was also getting difficult to source the special wire in the late 70s.

Later on worked on recorders used to record maintainence and trials data on Torpedoes, PIGs (pipeline inspection gear) and the F18 for the US Navy aircraft . The real challenge was to compress the data enough to fit on these recorders as they had limited storage capabilities. The crash recorders were nicknamed the "on sh@t recorder" as it was normally the last words that were recorded in the event of an accident. I visited AAIB and US equivalent a number of times, it used to send shivers down my spine when i saw the wreckage reassembled.

Cornish Jack20/12/2018 12:06:41
856 forum posts
105 photos

From another forum - something seasonal!

**LINK**

Merry Xmas/Bah Humbug (delete as required.

rgds

Bill

NJH21/12/2018 18:35:18
2313 forum posts
139 photos

Ho Bill

That's really sick!

Norman

Michael Gilligan13/01/2019 08:29:50
12520 forum posts
544 photos

Whilst searching for something not obviously aircraft related ... I happened across this group of early issues of 'Flight' **LINK**

https://archive.org/search.php?query=flight%20international%201913

Enthusiasts should find much there to enjoy.

MichaelG.

Ian S C13/01/2019 11:28:38
7189 forum posts
227 photos

Mosquito number three took it's first flight at 11.33 AM NZ summertime today, with two seat Spitfire MH 367 as chase plane. This one was the last RNZAF Mosquito to fly, and was sold to a buyer in the USA, and now it's going back there. Don't worry the next one goes to the UK.

Ian S C

Journeyman13/01/2019 11:36:56
573 forum posts
85 photos

I see that Airlander 10 has been retired after only 6 test flights and 2 crashes. Apparently the manufacturers are now concentrating on bringing the next generation airship to a commercial market. I am not sure the history inspires confidence! *** BBC News ***

John

martin perman13/01/2019 11:55:40
1433 forum posts
60 photos
Posted by Journeyman on 13/01/2019 11:36:56:

I see that Airlander 10 has been retired after only 6 test flights and 2 crashes. Apparently the manufacturers are now concentrating on bringing the next generation airship to a commercial market. I am not sure the history inspires confidence! *** BBC News ***

John

The press etc really wind me up, I can see the hangers from my house and regularly watched the Airlander performing its tests, it only crahed once and that could be classed as a forced landing after the crew nosed it in but what really annoys me was the second issue, it broke from its mooring and automaticallly deflated, it was designed to do it, it then got blown across barbwire fencing which ripped it to pieces, it wasn't under power, never left the ground and had no crew aboard so how come it crashed. When it was on its mooring its was sitting on the ground.

Martin P

Mick Charity13/01/2019 13:15:07
322 forum posts
4 photos

On the subject of Airlander 10, I don't get it. What is it other than a novelty? Can it ever be a commercial success?

Mick Charity13/01/2019 13:16:30
322 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 13/01/2019 08:29:50:

Whilst searching for something not obviously aircraft related ... I happened across this group of early issues of 'Flight' **LINK**

https://archive.org/search.php?query=flight%20international%201913

Enthusiasts should find much there to enjoy.

MichaelG.

Cheers. It's not like my reading list is getting any shorter but my mate is already half way through them.

V8Eng15/01/2019 20:40:09
1207 forum posts
20 photos

Love the Flight Magazines link thanks Michael. Good to see that Aeromodelling was going strong back then.

Now some good news about funding the new home for Stoke on Trent’s Spitfire.smiley

**LINK**

Edited By V8Eng on 15/01/2019 20:45:17

Edited By V8Eng on 15/01/2019 20:49:18

Robert Atkinson 215/01/2019 21:05:38
119 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Mick Charity on 13/01/2019 13:15:07:

On the subject of Airlander 10, I don't get it. What is it other than a novelty? Can it ever be a commercial success?

Unfortunatly most modern British airships have not been a great sucess commercially, but the Airlander could be. It's a lifting body design that has many advantages.

The accident it suffered was not a forced landing or even a problem with the airship itself. A winch in the mooring tower failled after the mooring rope was attached. The aircrew thought it had detached and tried to fly away. The airship pivioted around the rope and nose dived into th ground. They now have a release for the mooring rope at the airship end.

Mike Poole12/02/2019 12:10:56
1674 forum posts
43 photos

Looks like the Tornados are going out to give the public a last look, not their final flights but they won’t be around much longer **LINK**

One of Martin Baker’s Meteors was out yesterday for a live ejector seat firing, quite a bang as I was working outside at the time.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest