Forum sponsored by Allendale

Aircraft General Discussion

This is where all the off topic discussion about aeroplanes should go

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian S C13/09/2018 14:40:11
7069 forum posts
225 photos

That's the trouble with tail draggers, and big engines, once the tail is down foreward vision disappears.

Ian S C

KWIL13/09/2018 16:13:32
3031 forum posts
55 photos

Following SOD's reference to "Battle of Britain Model Squadron", started watching it, gave up eventually, how can they possibly have more than one episode?

Total waste of space.angry

martin perman13/09/2018 17:06:52
1305 forum posts
57 photos
Posted by KWIL on 13/09/2018 16:13:32:

Following SOD's reference to "Battle of Britain Model Squadron", started watching it, gave up eventually, how can they possibly have more than one episode?

I thought it was interesting to watch.

Martin P

RevStew13/09/2018 21:36:55
78 forum posts

Anyone here done the ATPL crammer with GTS at Bournemouth? Wonder how those guys are doing?

Ron Laden13/09/2018 21:43:40
544 forum posts
76 photos

+1

Oh no, I didnt realise there was another episode...no thanks, the first one was bad enough

Ian S C14/09/2018 13:37:15
7069 forum posts
225 photos

I'v had good reviews on the film "Spitfire", unfortunately I am unable to get to it, I'll have to wait for the DVD.

Ian S C

martin perman14/09/2018 16:10:36
1305 forum posts
57 photos

Just had a De Havilland Dove/Devon pass over me nice and low heading in the direction of Old Warden/Duxford. Aero Legends are displaying their Devon next weekend at Duxford so good chance it was their aircraft I saw.

Martin P

Neil Wyatt14/09/2018 18:29:59
14643 forum posts
624 photos
72 articles

Not sure what just went over but the jet engine roar lasted little more than two seconds - it was very low and shifting!

Neil

martin perman15/09/2018 16:42:34
1305 forum posts
57 photos

I've spent today outside preparing a little 1953 BSA generating set for a couple of local Apple day's and had the pleasure to watch a, what I believe, MK9 Spitfire circling above me at around 500' before he headed back towards Old Warden.

Martin P

Ian S C20/09/2018 13:30:16
7069 forum posts
225 photos

Over for another year, Full Noise got to 7th in the gold section at Reno, against aircraft with two to three times the horse power.

Rumour has it that next year there may be a Sea Fury instead of the Yak, we'll just have to wait and see.

Ian S C

Edited By Ian S C on 20/09/2018 13:34:10

SillyOldDuffer20/09/2018 14:21:25
3381 forum posts
664 photos
Posted by martin perman on 13/09/2018 17:06:52:

I thought it was interesting to watch.

Martin P

I managed to cock-up recording the first episode but watched the second. What was missing was any discussion of the modelling technology, perhaps the closest encounter being a chap painting a face on his model pilot. Typical non-technical telly.

Perhaps forewarned is forearmed but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Anyway, with expectations set low, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Could we do better? I suspect if we were allowed to make a Series on Model Engineering it would turn out like one of those old Open University programmes, where a badly dressed man with mutton-chop side-whiskers and flares droned monotonously about vector algebra. I never met anyone apart from me who watched them for fun.

Alternatively, I think Model Engineering would make a good sitcom. It would feature knowing looks to camera in the style of 'Parks and Recreations'. Example: expression on fundamentalist Myford owners face as he's lectured comprehensively on the benefits of scrapping it in favour of a mini-lathe. Cut to 20 year-old intern's eyes rolling as she listens to elderly gentlemen debating Microsoft vs Mac vs Linux or moaning about digital caliper batteries and how hacksaw blades have been made of peanut butter since 1923. Health and Safety infringements, flame, sparks, smoke, oil on the bed-sheets, discipline from 'She Who Must be Obeyed' and bad language that makes Gordon Ramsey look like a choirboy.

What could possibly go wrong?

Dave

Mick Charity20/09/2018 16:35:21
247 forum posts
4 photos

Commercial TV has to appeal to & attract a demographic of an audience that can be sold to the advertisers. Whilst you could build an audience around a 'men in sheds' type scenario I doubt that 1 man in his shed making swarf would attract an audience bigger than the audited circulation of ME&MEW.

I have absolutely no idea how the BBC works.

It could work . . . If genius were involved. If you were to make a list of the most boring of subjects to wrap your characters around then metal detecting must surely hit the top 5, yet 'Detectorists' was a massive hit & a highly regarded TV series.

Here's a thought : Delia is/was renowned for discovering/manipulating the fact that any recipe she demonstrated on TV meant an instant BOOST in the sales of the ingredients in supermarkets & she made a fortune from it while everyone thought she was a jolly decent sort & not just in it for the £cash. Why doesn't somebody do this on a platform like YouTube by making something using tools that their audience doesn't realise that they're selling?

What could possibly go wrong?

Ian Abbott20/09/2018 17:14:14
279 forum posts
21 photos

The technical knowledge and attention span of the average TV viewer is so low, anything longer than a fifteen second clip means change the channel. Every sentence has to be cliff hanger. "Will the drill bit make it through the bit of metal thingie? After these messages. (Or for the BBC, program trailer)"
We don't watch any Canadian TV. It's not as bad as the awful Usaian crap, but pretty pointless. When we went to England for our long family visit, Commercial TV was unwatchable and the Beeb only at carefully chosen times.
Whatever used to be Radio 4, now on digital, was the only thing worth tuning into.

Interestingly, I hadn't been in England for over thirty years, but when I accidentally listened to "The Archers," on the steam radio, nothing had changed, I hadn't missed a thing.

Our library here has an excellent selection of technical and historical DVDs, and more Shakespeare than you can shake a stick at.

As a backup, Netflix if carefully trawled can turn up some reasonably decent technical stuff. Notably, anything worth watching is in the UK section.

Right, that's exhausted me, time for a lie down with CBC Radio daytime classical music. That doesn't turn to crap until 2:00 pm.

Take care everybody

Ian

Adam Mara20/09/2018 20:56:38
47 forum posts
4 photos

A bit off topic, but Micks comments about Delia gives you some idea of the power of TV. My wife managed our cookshop for 30+ years, and whenever the current 'chef of the day' used some utensil, sales soared! One we remember well was an egg wedger, lucky if you sold one a year, used on TV and they were selling like hot cakes. The older members of the forum may remember the 'Autochop' heavily promoted on TV around the 70's, we literally sold thousands, and probably like many kitchen gadgets, abandoned shortly afterwards. As for "Battle of Britain Model Squadron", one episode was enough for me! Once again, apologies for going off topic!

Neil Wyatt20/09/2018 22:46:37
14643 forum posts
624 photos
72 articles

Sometimes when we feature a tool build in MEW, a supplier tells me they have had a small 'run' on that item ready-made.

Neil

Bill Pudney20/09/2018 23:34:34
388 forum posts
11 photos

Model Engineering as a sit com?.....why am I thinking of "Dads Army"?

cheers

Bill

Perko721/09/2018 02:00:04
213 forum posts
22 photos

Perhaps the aircraft enthusiasts on this site can answer a dumb question for me:

Why don't piston-engined aircraft have silencers on their exhausts?

I've had plenty of light aircraft fly over our house from time to time (we are about 10km from Archerfield airport which is the major light aircraft facility in Brisbane) and the racket they make is many times greater than the commercial jets that also fly over at times. Sure they are at a lower altitude, and i'm aware that prop noise is a major contributor, but the light aircraft with turbo-prop engines don't seem anywhere near as noisy as the piston-engined ones.

Are there technical issues, or is it just customary?

Trevor Crossman 121/09/2018 09:18:45
112 forum posts
13 photos

I quite agree Perko, many light aircraft do make a lot more noise than others, sometimes due to propeller sometimes largely from the engine, usually it's a combination though. Back in the later 30's some British light planes, I forget the manufacturers, were sold with a very long exhaust pipe along the bottom of the fuselage, maybe also some of the DH Moth series too.

Several years ago when I was member of, and an aircraft inspector for, the then Popular Flying Association (now Light Aircraft Association), the Chief Engineer asked members to forward ideas and designs for effective and practical silencing systems particularly for homebuilt type aircraft that were not under prescribed FAA/ CAA regulations. Despite some promising work ,both science based and home workshop style practical efforts, done by a few members, the whole idea fizzled out much to the delight of the more ''traditional'' light aircraft owners who were quite unsurprisingly by far the loudest in rubbishing the project before it even started, often equating noise with power/performance and scornful of the public's dislike of light aircraft droning slowly across the sky, usually citing' safety' concerns to support their negative views. I dare say that manufacturers of certificated aircraft would say the same, plus of course the ever important added costs.

Trevor.

Perko721/09/2018 09:32:02
213 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks Trevor. I can't see why it should cost a whole lot more, particularly considering the total cost of a light plane. Cars and trucks are being forced to comply with ever-increasing restrictions on vehicle exhaust emissions, plus the switch from leaded to unleaded fuel, as well as noise restrictions, yet the light aircraft industry seems to be spared. Even commercial passenger jet aircraft are required to meet certain noise emission limits as far as i know.

I would be surprised if a properly designed exhaust system with silencer would decrease the power available from an aircraft engine, in theory it should be able to increase it, particularly when they operate within a fairly narrow rpm range to suit the diameter and pitch of the propellor. I would think a good set of extractors with a sports muffler should be able to provide the same if not better power, and a nicer sound as well.

Mike Poole21/09/2018 09:41:15
1541 forum posts
41 photos

From a power point of view I think a tuned length of pipe is all an engine needs, all silencing is for the comfort of the driver/pilot and others. F1 fans complained when the turbos sapped the volume of the exhaust.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Shapiro
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest