Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Aircraft General Discussion

This is where all the off topic discussion about aeroplanes should go

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Clive Hartland21/07/2018 14:48:51
2347 forum posts
38 photos

Flew back from Kenya in a DC6, took off in a thunderstorm at night and immediately was covered in St. Elmos fire! Passengers thought the plane was on fire. Landed at an Italian Air Force base somewhere, refuelled and took off again very quickly. Was a bit noisier and some vibration, not as quiet as the Brittania I flew out on facing backwards!

Clive

davidk21/07/2018 14:57:03
44 forum posts

G-APSA isn't airworthy anymore unfortunately.

The DC-6 in question will be the Red Bull DC-6B OE-LDM. She's made a few flights in and out of Cranfield this week.

David

Nimble21/07/2018 23:07:44
16 forum posts

Today I noticed the death notice of Ivan Albert MUDROVCICH. Who apparently was attempting to re create the Pearse flying machine. I have been informed that the engine could actually be started from a static position by careful positioning of the piston and the switching on of ignition. Sadly I believe his ill health has hindered progress in his endeavours. I believe that the flying machine was towed on a trailer and it was shown that it managed to achieve sufficient lift to achieve flight. I do not know whether other team members will carry on with his endeavours.

**LINK**

martin perman27/07/2018 16:32:08
1358 forum posts
59 photos

At approx 11:00 today a PBY-5a Catalina passed over Bedfordshire carrying out a Submarine sweep whilst heading west to a show.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 27/07/2018 16:32:59

Adam Mara27/07/2018 17:27:51
50 forum posts
4 photos

For those that may be interested, a WW2 Hawker Typhoon is on show at RAF Coningsby until September.

Acording to the news, the process to bring the Typhoon over from an aviation museum in Canada wasn't an easy one though.

It was disassembled and then put back together - much like an airfix kit - when it arrived at RAF Coningsby.

Ian S C28/07/2018 13:13:03
7115 forum posts
227 photos

The only major problem keeping the Typhoon from flying is the engine, there just arn't any servicable Napier Sabres, and they would be far too costly to overhaul to flight standards, most unfortunate, I love the Tiffy, and the later Tornardo.

Ian S C

davidk28/07/2018 13:40:40
44 forum posts

Hawker Typhoon RB396 is undergoing a rebuild to fly, hopefully in 2024. The Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group have managed to secure a Napier Sabre IIa that will be rebuilt to airworthy condition. A mammoth project by any standards. Really looking forward to seeing that one in the air!

**LINK**

David

Ian S C29/07/2018 12:09:16
7115 forum posts
227 photos

That's great David, those engines (Napier Sabre) are a master piece in complication, there is a cut away one at the RNZAF Museum in Christchurch NZ.

In my above post I actually meant to put Tempest, the Tornardo was the aircraft that was developed before the Typhoon, and lead on to the two later aircraft. Today you could keep a squadron of Spitfires in the air for less than the cost of one Typhoon, good on them.

Ian S C

Edited By Ian S C on 29/07/2018 12:20:03

Muzzer29/07/2018 14:16:29
2904 forum posts
448 photos

There is a (partial) list of Napier engines here. I'm pretty sure there is one in the Science Museum in Edinburgh but it's years since I've been and the mind plays tricks. Certainly recall the amazing complexity of the H engine and the sleeve valves from somewhere and that was one place I spent many hours staring at engines and other technology.

Some interesting pics and history here.

Murray

Speedy Builder529/07/2018 14:33:07
1595 forum posts
109 photos

Martin P - Did the Catalina find any subs in Bedfordshire. I know the Ouse goes out to the wash, but wasn't aware we were under attack from subs any longer.
BobH

Ian S C29/07/2018 15:17:33
7115 forum posts
227 photos

Don't know about finding subs, but the Dutch Cat dented it's nose when it landed with the nose wheel retracted after a hydraulic failure.

Ian S C

martin perman29/07/2018 17:52:58
1358 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 29/07/2018 14:33:07:

Martin P - Did the Catalina find any subs in Bedfordshire. I know the Ouse goes out to the wash, but wasn't aware we were under attack from subs any longer.
BobH

Bob, I watched it for a while but didn't see any depth charges dropped so I would assume no smiley

Martin P

Neil Wyatt29/07/2018 19:21:17
15008 forum posts
638 photos
72 articles
Posted by martin perman on 27/07/2018 16:32:08:

At approx 11:00 today a PBY-5a Catalina passed over Bedfordshire carrying out a Submarine sweep whilst heading west to a show.

Did it find any

martin perman29/07/2018 20:35:21
1358 forum posts
59 photos

Neill,

Please see post above.

Martin P

Andrew Johnston29/07/2018 21:36:27
4206 forum posts
504 photos

Far too many weeds in the Great Ouse. Any sub would get entangled and be sent to the bottom.

Andrew

robjon4431/07/2018 10:49:26
90 forum posts

Hi all, with regard to the Napier Sabre engine there is a cutaway one powered by an electric motor in the air museum at Duxford, on pressing the button to activate it one might easily become dizzy watching so many parts moving in different directions! Looking on the bright side however its sleeve valve so no valves, rockers, camshafts & no valve bounce. What a brute they were, during WW2 my dear old dad who was like dog doo when it came to being everywhere, was sent to Farnborough to take the engine fitters course on that engine, why doesn't that surprise me & when they were in service got to taxi Typhoons fitted with them about on the airfield, in those days you didn't need a private pilots license to fly a model aeroplane.

At the time the Air Ministry Specification was written Hawkers submitted 3 designs, the Typhoon, Tempest & Tornado, the first 2 of course being built & the Tornado name resurfacing on the modern aircraft, this very week there are pictures from the BBMF of the WW2 Tiffie & Eurofighter carrying the same name posed next to each other, an outing to said location on the books then, soon.

I believe I'm right in saying that the 1940s Tornado might have inadvertently ended up packing 6 Hispano Suiza 20 mm cannons, £105 at the factory gate Squire, situated 2 miles from where I'm sitting in those days & yes the old man worked there as a fitter/turner before he went into the RAF.

Cheers BobH.

martin perman31/07/2018 11:10:46
1358 forum posts
59 photos

There is a radial sleeve valve cut away engine at Old Warden which I assume is a Napier Sabre.

The Catalina droned back over Bedford towards Duxford yesterday afternoon, low in the sky again.

Martin P

Ian S C31/07/2018 13:47:38
7115 forum posts
227 photos

If the engine at Old Warden is a radial, it must either be a Bristol Hercules(14 cyl), or Centarus(18 cyl), both air cooled. The Napier Sabre is an H 24, virtually two horizontally opposed 12 cylinder engines geared together, and liquid cooled.

Ian S C

Edited By Ian S C on 31/07/2018 13:48:54

Edited By Ian S C on 31/07/2018 13:49:44

martin perman31/07/2018 18:21:36
1358 forum posts
59 photos

Having spent seven years volunteering at Duxford I know the engine and what made me think the Typhoon and Tempest had radials god only knows, I will put it down to the heat.

Martin P

robjon4401/08/2018 10:30:55
90 forum posts

Martin, the reason you thought they had radial engines was of course that was the direction their development took, late marks of the Tempest were experimentally fitted with the 57 litre twin row 18 cylinder Bristol Centaurus which almost immediately morphed into the Fury & thence the Sea Fury, truly monsters & still featuring in warbird air races in the US to this day, I did see one displayed at an air show that had been dragged back from India or Pakistan, which is where they all ended up as the Jet Age dawned, that had airframe & engine hours that you could count on your thumbs, that was Navy Blue & adorned with the insignia of every force that had ever flown them, a sight for sore eyes indeed. At the back end of WW2, 1944, D-Day & all that, my dad was stationed at RAF Manston & he told me that it was not unheard of to get a visit from a 109 or 190 with british markings flying lower than a snakes belly & hoping to create a big impression, to counter this problem they had a radial engined Tempest in polished bare metal fitted with Nitrous Oxide injection! It was, he said the most terrifying thing he ever saw when it descended from on high running on Nitro with the 4 cannons blazing away, apparently it didn't take long for them to give up on that master plan. I bet you thought that a Suzuki Katana having an extra 100 bhp dumped in its lap at the push of a button was going some.

Bob H

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
TRANSWAVE Converters
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest