Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale

Aircraft General Discussion

This is where all the off topic discussion about aeroplanes should go

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
colin wilkinson17/06/2018 06:58:51
35 forum posts

The best book I ever read about Vietnam and helicopters is Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. When I had a motorcycle shop in the 60s, not far from Burtonwood airbase, I became friends with a helicopter pilot and his crew chief who had done three tours in Vietnam. Scary stories. Colin

Andrew Johnston17/06/2018 11:42:51
4143 forum posts
502 photos

There's been quite a lot of heavy metal activity this weekend. Just seen a Spitfire fly over the bungalow at about a 1000 feet heading north. Pointy wingtips so presumably a later mark. It's just past over again heading the other way, and doing a barrel roll for good measure.

Andrew

martin perman17/06/2018 21:34:51
1305 forum posts
57 photos

Andrew,

Shuttleworth had an evening airshow so was busy during the afternoon, we had two Spitfires over Bolnhurst Vintage rally one being the museums clipped wing Spitfire over in the afternoon.

Martin P

Jon Lawes17/06/2018 22:06:30
206 forum posts
Posted by colin wilkinson on 17/06/2018 06:58:51:

The best book I ever read about Vietnam and helicopters is Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

Fantastic book. So disarmingly honest; utterly engaging.

Andrew Johnston17/06/2018 22:40:55
4143 forum posts
502 photos
Posted by martin perman on 17/06/2018 21:34:51:

Shuttleworth had an evening airshow so was busy during the afternoon, we had two Spitfires over Bolnhurst Vintage rally one being the museums clipped wing Spitfire over in the afternoon.

Interesting, I saw three more Spitfires this afternoon, at least two of which were different, but heading north rather than west. Plus one Tiger Moth, which was heading west.

Blimey, didn't think Bolnhurst was big enough for a vintage rally, unless it's grown a lot since I was a kid. smile

Andrew

Speedy Builder518/06/2018 06:48:26
1587 forum posts
108 photos

Bolnhurst hits the headlines, long time since I have been there. My old boss lived there and another guy we visited built Bentlys in his garage. For our sins, we lived at Cotton End, just next to Cardinton air ship sheds.

martin perman18/06/2018 09:21:12
1305 forum posts
57 photos

Just to answer Andrews question Bolnhurst rally was its 37th this year.

Martin P

Philip Rowe18/06/2018 11:15:46
128 forum posts
7 photos

Seems it was a busy day for Spifires yesterday, spotted a Spitfire and Hurricane in formation over Kings Lynn during the afternoon. Presumably having carried out a display at the Great Yarmouth air show they were on their way back to Coningsby. I'm quite fortunate where I live as I seem to see a great deal of BBMF aircraft during the summer months when the air shows are on.

Phil

martin perman20/06/2018 20:05:10
1305 forum posts
57 photos

Today has been busy with light aviation, Helicopters and this evening a Chinook thumping its way over Bedford heading North East. The sky's have been cloudy, sunny and windy which would normally mean not a lot of aviation.

Martin P

Gordon Tarling21/06/2018 11:05:22
158 forum posts
4 photos

Yesterday afternoon, around 4pm, we were treated to a lovely, low level, flyby of the BBMF's DC3 at around 500ft. Didn't have time to get a pic, but it sounded and looked lovely. We see this particular aircraft quite often and even wifey now knows that it's a Dakota. smiley

Tim Chambers21/06/2018 21:19:02
64 forum posts
21 photos

I heard an Atlas approaching while I was out in the workshop today,noisiest bloody thing in the sky I reckon,even the Merlins flying over the farm are'nt that loud. Any way I popped outside to watch it and was suprised to see the moisture in the air above the wings was condensing over the trailing edge.Thats on an aircraft cruising along at a guess about 5000 ft.

martin perman23/06/2018 19:19:29
1305 forum posts
57 photos

My car came back from the village body shop yesterday after an argument with a wheelie bin so this afternoon I decided to give it a good clean inside, whilst outside this afternoon I've had at least sixteen Tiger Moths flying as pairs or singles, a monoplane trainer with three vertical tail planes, looking like a Miles Messenger, a Dragon Rapide and a Chipmunk all following the same route, flying over Shuttleworth going west then turning roughly over our village and heading north east. Just checked the Tiger Club website and they all appear to be attending a weekend event at Shuttleworth for the weekend.

Martin P

DrDave23/06/2018 19:43:23
130 forum posts
30 photos

Strange how these things happen. We went from Bedford to Chichester to have dinner last night with an elite group of former aerospace colleagues. One of them, who lives in Bognor, left this moring to drive up to Old Warden for the weekend to visit the Moth “do”. So we will probably see him there tomorrow!

martin perman23/06/2018 20:15:48
1305 forum posts
57 photos

I'm off to the Bedford model engineering running day at Haynes then to Haynes village for a classic car do.

Martin P

Muzzer23/06/2018 20:20:42
2900 forum posts
448 photos

Cockpit view of aerobatics. Starts off very sedately and then at about 16 mins, hell breaks loose.

**LINK**

Murray

Neil Wyatt23/06/2018 20:57:28
14661 forum posts
624 photos
72 articles

>boggle<

martin perman23/06/2018 22:32:17
1305 forum posts
57 photos

Very accomplished young lady, just watched her aerobatics from the outside didnt seem so violent that way.

I've just learnt something about the Mig 29, when on the ground the air intakes are shut, the engines breath via gills on the wing upper surface.

Went to Shuttleworth museum around 21:00 this evening hoping to see a line of moths but apart from a few they had all gone so assume they will be back tomorrow.

Martin P

Sam Stones23/06/2018 23:17:06
564 forum posts
188 photos

Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-I2xcpWzEM

martin perman24/06/2018 18:28:24
1305 forum posts
57 photos
Posted by Sam Stones on 23/06/2018 23:17:06:

Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-I2xcpWzEM

Thats the video I watched, the Tiger Moth meet at Shuttleworth had them coming in their droves again and the local classic car meeting I went to had the BBMF Dakota do a fly past, I didn't see it but I certainly heard it as it flew over Bedford. A busy flying weekend in my area this weekend.

Martin P

Muzzer24/06/2018 21:42:53
2900 forum posts
448 photos

The MIG 29 claims to be uniquely capable of the Cobra Manoeuvre. Looks like a truly breakfast-producing event!

Murray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
méridienne Nov 18
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest