Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Sandown Park ME Exhibition

Part Built Model

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
nick feast16/11/2010 17:19:08
75 forum posts
7 photos
The part built  model I am constructing to check out the drawings and script for the series in ME will be at the show. It will as usual be on the Polly stand and I will only be attending on the Sunday, although Polly staff will be happy to take and pass on messages. Tender wheels have been cast and look good and all the laser cut parts for loco and tender should be avaialble but check with Polly if you intend to collect at the show. I hope to get a tender body built using polyurethane sealant therefore no gas bottles required! Less risk of shed fires, and less distortion of the tender plates.
Richard Parsons16/11/2010 21:29:38
645 forum posts
33 photos
Nick Hi   there is some 'gunge' you can get for resealing petrol tanks.  You pour it in roll it round  I last used it about 20 years ago to seal a Petrol tank on a Banana bike for my daughter which was full of 'tin worm' and  was more like a sink than a tank.  I got it from a store which is now a 'trendy wine bar' but I think it is still available.
chris stephens17/11/2010 01:11:32
1045 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Richard,
This is a little OT but you raised the topic. It would seem that some of the tank sealers are now not proof against the bio-ethanol content of the latest  type petrol. It also dissolves the resin content in fibre-glass tanks, as fitted to early Norton Commandos, it does not feel very safe when a tank goes squidgy.
I know tenders are unlikely to have any bio-ethanol in them on a regular basis but who knows.
chriStephens 
nick feast17/11/2010 08:20:29
75 forum posts
7 photos
Hello all,
I too have a tin of  'Petseal' or similiar which has been on a shelf in the shed for years. The stuff I am talking about however is a structural adhesive that is applied from a cartridge with the usual DIY gun.
It's intended for the automotive industry and used to seal body panels but also has some adhesive strength. The aim is to use all steel tender construction which can be painted and then joined without heat, This will make construction quicker and cheaper if it works. Test pieces seem to be a success. Photos and details will be in the tender description early in the new year.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest