Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

A beginners locomotive

which locomotive for a beginner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Purves08/08/2010 11:49:52
28 forum posts
14 photos
Have you thought about Don Youngs Hunslet, modelled on the quarry hunslets of north wales?
I'm building one as my first loco, its coming along nicely. There is plenty of literature about it and there's readily available castings and boiler. The size of it makes it a good passenger hauler whilst sounding 'bigger' its still manageable! I'm currently working on a laser cut cab/tank kit with www.modelengineerslaser.co.uk so there will be fair amount of laser cut parts available!
see my Flikr page for some photo's! 
Many regards
Steve Purves 

Edited By Steve Purves on 08/08/2010 11:52:10

Edited By Katy Purvis on 01/06/2015 09:24:16

Vincent Shaw-Morton09/08/2010 18:00:28
17 forum posts
15 photos
Hi Everyone,
I can't belive it was April when I made my the first post, and thanks for all your replies.
Well I made a decision around two months ago, and since then have been just been mulling over my choice, along with chatting to various people in the know ever since.
I have decided upon Don Young's 7 1/4" Newport.
Now this is quite a jump up the scale, not least in terms of  cost, let alone weight.
However I am very fortunate to have John Dean as a good friend who won a gold a couple of years ago for his Beatie Well Tank in 7 1/4". Also he has a copy of the original construction series published by Don Young in the nineties, which I have scanned in and now have a copy of my own.
On reading the articles I found  that it is actually intended as a relatively simple model, not stricly aimed at the beginner, but should none the less should be a relatively straightforward build, despite having inside cylinders. The builder is actually also pretty simple too, having a straight barrel, and is 'unwasted'
So in any event I have decided to go with the Newport, after having succsesfully completed my Polly course with SMEE (which I can thoroughly recommend)
Best Wishes
Vincent
Vincent Shaw-Morton16/12/2010 10:02:07
17 forum posts
15 photos
To see how I am making progress on the Newport follow this link
Best Wishes
Vincent 

Del Greco26/03/2020 12:01:15
28 forum posts
10 photos

Hello All, and sorry to revive such an old thread, but did anyone build the 3 1/2in. gauge Darjeeling Himilayan 0-4-0?

I am relatively new to the hobby, but am progressing steadily, (and slowly, compared to what you gents have been producing!!)

This is Loco a really nice looking loco, and I am considering it as a build...

Also, re the back issues for it, do I simply need to take out a subscription, and I get access to all the back issues?

I've trawled through the Forum and found multiple threads, but none of the images or links seem to work any more.

If anybody has any drawings/links they are able to forward over to me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, from some of the threads, it seems there was a delay/gap in the plans for this loco in the ME mag. Is this correct, or does the mag contain the full instructions? I also saw that apparently there were some mistakes in the drawings. Were these ever rectified?

Kindest Regards,

Del

An Other26/03/2020 14:14:26
161 forum posts
1 photos

Del - sent you a PM - An

An Other30/03/2020 18:11:22
161 forum posts
1 photos

Sorry to put this here, folks - Del - can you contact me re drawings? - your inbox is full.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest