Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

"TINKER" tool & cutter grinder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
victor mcconville03/02/2010 21:14:01
20 forum posts
Hello Vic here again,
Has anybody come across a "TINKER tool & cutter grinder.
I read about this tool in an American website ( guy lautard.com)
I would like to pursue this further,the website sells a set of plans to make this grinder but I would like to know before buying the plans  has anyone else tried to make this unit.( I am Scottish and a bit canny with my cash.)
Thank you in advance
Vic
ps I told you I would be Back
Jim Whetren03/02/2010 21:38:43
50 forum posts
1 photos
Hello Vic,

I got the plans many years ago, and although at that time I think the castings were available, being an honourary 'Scot', I made mine as a built up item.

Since making it I have sharpened most things from lathe tools to taps.

If you want more info, send me a message.

Jim
Michael Cox 103/02/2010 21:54:43
544 forum posts
27 photos
Hi Vic,
Have alook on the website www.gadgetbuilder.com. This sit e has much information on the Tinker cutter grinder, as well as experiences of using it.
Mike
keithmart03/02/2010 21:57:58
165 forum posts

Hi

How strange, I was looking at that site as well yesterday. I would be interested in info from someone who has made one as well.

How do we contact you Jim?

Regards

Keith

Leeds UK

Jim Whetren04/02/2010 01:22:13
50 forum posts
1 photos
Hello Keith,

just log on and send a 'Message member'.

Jim
Chris B10/02/2010 14:56:22
34 forum posts
5 photos
I got a set of plans last year but have not done anything with them yet.

I was lucky to have a contact in the states at the time who could order the plans for me and brought them back with him rather than the rather messy way that Mr Lautard wanted payment from anywhere other than the US/Canada.

Chris..
Colin Rogers23/08/2010 15:06:07
5 forum posts
Hi,

I'm very interested in building a Tinker tool but the method of payment requested from Canada for plans is very messy. Has anyone got details of a UK source? 

Colin 

Edited By Colin Rogers on 23/08/2010 15:07:35

David Clark 123/08/2010 15:20:01
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi There
The Tinker is a very simple cutter grinder.
I think you could figure it out very easily.
I would estimate that the main upright is about 210mm long.
It would be an ideal project to cut out of solid cast iron.
The castings are very heavy.

regards David

Edited By David Clark 1 on 23/08/2010 15:30:53

Gone Away23/08/2010 17:27:00
829 forum posts
1 photos
I notice the website does state that you need a lathe with better than 7/8" spindle bore to machine the toolholder for this.

That would be problematic  for me and, I suspect, a few others.
David Clark 123/08/2010 19:07:12
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi There
Spindle is 20mm diameter. Could be done with a fixed steady but I would buy a parallel shank ER holder and use that. Don't need a large bore lathe.
regards David 
chris j04/09/2012 22:09:39
338 forum posts
17 photos

I realise that this is an old thread but it's the only one that comes up when you use the search function.

Anyway I have managed to pick one of these gadgets up and will undoubtedly have questions when it arrives. smiley

Jim, do you have any pictures of your set-up?

In fact does anyone have any pictures?

Tinker

John Alexander Stewart04/09/2012 23:18:16
806 forum posts
53 photos

Kind of off topic;

Had one made by then-club member Frank McLean ("Live Steam" readers know who he is). In the "share and share alike" mode, I lent it to a second club member who then inconveniently passed away. His "stuff" purchased by a third, who is not parting with "his" Tinker grinder!

This is a few years ago; I'm not going to touch one of those again, bad luck for me! I now have a Worden, and have learnt my lesson...

Another JohnS.

chris j04/09/2012 23:59:14
338 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by John Alexander Stewart on 04/09/2012 23:18:16:

Kind of off topic;

Had one made by then-club member Frank McLean ("Live Steam" readers know who he is). In the "share and share alike" mode, I lent it to a second club member who then inconveniently passed away. His "stuff" purchased by a third, who is not parting with "his" Tinker grinder!

This is a few years ago; I'm not going to touch one of those again, bad luck for me! I now have a Worden, and have learnt my lesson...

Another JohnS.

This belonged to someone who passed away surprise

Bazyle05/09/2012 22:18:39
6042 forum posts
220 photos

The same person sold a Stent a few weeks ago. Some things like this with decent owners could go on for a hundred years passing from one model engineer to another. If it was his relative I hope he keeps one of the models in the family.

When you think about the design it is like a very (yes very very) stripped down Quorn so you might be able to extend and adapt it from looking at one of those.

chris j06/09/2012 09:04:34
338 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 05/09/2012 22:18:39:

The same person sold a Stent a few weeks ago. Some things like this with decent owners could go on for a hundred years passing from one model engineer to another. If it was his relative I hope he keeps one of the models in the family.

When you think about the design it is like a very (yes very very) stripped down Quorn so you might be able to extend and adapt it from looking at one of those.

I saw a book on the Quorn, I may have to get that to see if it inspries me to greatness, some chance. Anyway thanks for the idea.

Chris

Sam Longley 109/04/2021 07:17:54
860 forum posts
30 photos

I would also like to build this model ( please do not suggest other models in replying) & have been in touch with Guy Lautard who is willing to send me the drawings in PDF format for 50 canadian dollars. I can then print them out on 93 A4 sheets here in the UK. At least that should save surprise import duty etc

I have some castings off a woodworking machine that look almost identical to those in the plans.They can certainly be adapted

I wanted to pay by electronic transfer but have been told by his wife that she will not give me the IBAN account details for me to pay into. Understandable, I suppose, as she does not know if I am genuine. She says her bank will charge her a lot to accept the payment electronically.

Is that true & is payment by cheque from me, with a 25 day clearance time the other end, the only way I can do this? Will that then cost me a lot to get it cleared my end?

Has anyone experience of overseas payment, whereby I can pay someone who is not set up for paypal etc.

Come to that, has anyone got a set of plans I can buy to save the hassle

Has anyone any suggestions please

Thanks

Sam L

JasonB09/04/2021 07:39:59
21467 forum posts
2455 photos
1 articles

A few times I have ordered from Germany where the company wanted bank transfer and I had to increase the amount to cover what their bank charged them. I also had to pay my bank a fee so not a cheap way to buy things but what she says is true.

Website says they take Western Union but I've not tried that.

Edited By JasonB on 09/04/2021 07:51:39

Michael Gilligan09/04/2021 07:56:11
18992 forum posts
945 photos
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 09/04/2021 07:17:54:

[…]

Has anyone experience of overseas payment, whereby I can pay someone who is not set up for paypal etc.

In principle, the ‘Friends and Family’ section of PayPal should allow you to send money to ‘most anyone ... although you would not have the protective comfort of dealing with a merchant.

... I think you might have as little protection as when posting cash in an envelope.

I do buy from SurplusShed, but Fred sends me a Payment Request and Invoice.

MichaelG.

Ref. https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-send-money-faq1684

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 09/04/2021 08:04:28

Nick Clarke 309/04/2021 08:29:49
1260 forum posts
50 photos
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 09/04/2021 07:17:54:

I would also like to build this model ( please do not suggest other models in replying) & have been in touch with Guy Lautard who is willing to send me the drawings in PDF format for 50 canadian dollars. I can then print them out on 93 A4 sheets here in the UK. At least that should save surprise import duty etc

While 50 CD is not that excessive - looking at David Clark's picture where do 93 A4 sheets come into it?

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 09/04/2021 08:30:01

JasonB09/04/2021 08:35:56
21467 forum posts
2455 photos
1 articles

User instructions and various attachments by the looks of it.

Was it in any of his books? as that may be another way to get the drawings.

Edited By JasonB on 09/04/2021 08:36:45

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest