Bench Drill Press speed adjustment

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Wan01/01/2010 14:19:24
131 forum posts
3 photos
Hi guys

Wonder have anyone of you tried to modify the press drill speed from 500rpm
factory setting to around 100rpm or lower for big drills or counterbore drilling?

Lets share your design or solution, very grateful

Regards.
Nigel McBurney 101/01/2010 19:53:13
945 forum posts
3 photos
Hi I have a Fobcobench drill for 40 years and had the same problem,and thought a lot about finding a way to get a low bottom speed,but never found an ideal solution as the speed changing must be quick and easy to operate,and there is not much room within the existing belt guards to mount a speed change system.about 15 years ago I solved it easily,I went out and bought a surperb Meddings one inch capacity 3 mt pillar drill in very good condition ,bargain at £320  solved all the problems as its got a two speed gearbox plus five belt speeds,of course you could used an electronic type speed control of the motor of your drill,but it can cost as much as buying a drilling machine,I got mine in the last recession and now might be another good time to find one.Aother way would be say find another smaller cheaper machine and arrange a system of belts  with a counter shaft to get a single speed of 100 rpm and only use it for low speed jobs,it will not take up too much room
regards.
Steve Wan02/01/2010 14:07:27
131 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Nigel McBurney

Many thanks for your reply last night I found a website www.Hemingwaykits.com
in it a section covering modifications of bench drill press using 3 pulleys only.

I have started making the modification also not so fortunate to get a replacement as my workshop is very small. Will test it and if it worked  I shall post photos here to share around

My bench drill press is China made but I was able to improve some parts like making
a lever crank to move the drilling table up and down at ease. Only bigger models have
the crank lever.

So once I'm able to overcome the speed will be another break through!

Keep in touch!
Dunc03/01/2010 17:52:32
138 forum posts
Uncertain of the source of this one but I think it was on Google's Popular Mechanics/Popular Science magazines archives

I have uploaded it to
hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/329808549/LoSpeed.pdf.html

I don't know MEW's policy on embedded live links. To be safe, I have changed the url to render it inactive. Please change "hxxp" to "http" to render the link valid.

You will require an Acrobat reader app.

Dunc04/01/2010 01:18:43
138 forum posts
Risking being a nuisance but after looking at the Hemingway kits this reference seems very similar (another pulley combo is added using the drill column as support). Again, my comment on avoiding a live link.
Hope of some use.
hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/329959012/PopMech_Feb1951.png.html

Image can be viewed in Irfanview (freeware) - among others

Edited By Dunc on 04/01/2010 01:20:04

Peter Ellis 531/01/2021 16:21:09
51 forum posts
9 photos

The link no longer seems to work.

Has anyone else managed to install a speed reduction on one of these cheap Chinese drill stands ?

Cheers

Peter

Martin Kyte31/01/2021 17:33:08
2608 forum posts
45 photos
Posted by Dunc on 03/01/2010 17:52:32:
I don't know MEW's policy on embedded live links.

As they have provided a tool in the toolbar to embed links I would say it's allowed. Next to embed youtube

regards Martin

HOWARDT31/01/2021 17:41:16
800 forum posts
28 photos

Before trying a large drill check what diameter on the spindle is driven. Trying to drive too big a drill can result in a twisted spindle when it snatches.

not done it yet31/01/2021 17:55:25
6438 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by HOWARDT on 31/01/2021 17:41:16:

Before trying a large drill check what diameter on the spindle is driven. Trying to drive too big a drill can result in a twisted spindle when it snatches.

Yup , nothing like increasing the torque on the machine, by a factor of 5, to overstress a cheap chinese drill built to the minimum specs.🙂

Dave Halford31/01/2021 19:36:43
1818 forum posts
19 photos

To be honest you need to buy a drill with one of these in it.

This is just a random photo off the web and not intended to be a advert.

drill backgear.jpg

Gary Wooding01/02/2021 10:14:24
909 forum posts
233 photos

I replaced the 1ph motor on my Naerok drill-press with a 3ph of the same power, and added a VFD. Works a treat.

naerok drill press.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest