By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

where can i buy a bell punch?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Jones 102/11/2009 01:20:03
85 forum posts
5 photos
Evening all,
I was wondering if anyone could help, I am after a bell punch (Im pretty sure thats what they are called) as used for centre marking the end of a cylinder.  I cant seem to find any through my usual tool suppliers, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase one.
Ian S C02/11/2009 10:40:43
7468 forum posts
230 photos
Make it!I'v never seen one in this part of the world,not to say they'r not out there.There is a cut away drawing in Lawrence Sparey's book The Amateur's Lathe,in my copy its on pg 112.Its also shown in How To Run A Lathe a book by South Bend Lathe Works,a handy little book on all aspects of lathe work.I'd tend to look among second hand tools,In the brief time I was in England 25yrs ago I went to a sort of market at Eastbourn,there was tool by the truck load,I imagine they still have sales like that.I use either odd legs or V blocks on the surface plate.Happy hunting IAN S C
Circlip02/11/2009 11:25:58
1531 forum posts
Trouble is Dave keeping the little sods square with the end of the barstock. if you've faced the end, hit it with a centre drill, otherwise, tother Ian has given the answers.
  If you really MUST have one, not too difficult to turn a 70deg female cone, drill and ream centre for a standard Dia piece of Silver Steel(Drill Rod) and cone and harden a piece for a centre punch.
  Who knows, if the Chiwanese see it, they will be in the shops in their millions.
  Regards  Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 02/11/2009 11:30:14

mgj02/11/2009 17:51:36
1017 forum posts
14 photos
I rather agree.  (Keeping them aligned) The other alternative is a centre square from Chronos, though I think Axminster do one too. Not expensive, and a great deal surer for finding centre.
John Haine02/11/2009 21:23:40
4718 forum posts
273 photos
Do you really need one?  Seems to me that to be accurate you have to face off the end anyway otherwise the cone will not centre properly anyway.  If you have to face it you may as well centre drill it!  There must be a reason why the things aren't made anymore, maybe this is it!  IMHO, a vee-block on a flat surface and a scribing block is just as good and much more versatile.
Ian S C03/11/2009 08:48:00
7468 forum posts
230 photos
Might be nice to have if you collect vintage tools,As meyrick says a center suqare is far more use,seem to remember making one in metal work at school,its gone now,but they are simple to make.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Sign up to our Newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter and get a free digital issue.

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest