Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Building Stuart Victoria

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Withnell29/09/2009 18:42:41
796 forum posts
215 photos
Here she is:

Not finished yet,  but pleased with progress to date.   I've also recorded the progress of the thinking and planning behind this engine at:

Comments, ideas and suggestions welcome either here or on the blog page.

Regards

Steve
Andy_C25/09/2016 08:10:07
25 forum posts
8 photos

Just purchased a set of Victoria castings as a second project after 10V. Does anyone know of a serialised build in EIM or ME to supplement the blog by Steve Withnell to help me along? This is my first foray into forum land so looking forward to developing my experience by using it a bit more.

Gwil14/10/2016 12:34:21
14 forum posts
5 photos

This may be useful:

**LINK**

There is also a revised edition but that may only be available secondhand.

Edited By Gwil on 14/10/2016 12:36:51

Neil Wyatt14/10/2016 15:14:52
17385 forum posts
690 photos
77 articles

Nicely done, Steve.

Andy_C14/10/2016 16:08:26
25 forum posts
8 photos

Very many thanks. Seems amazing given that the Victoria is described as a beginner project and is seen as a very aesthetic finished project that it hasn't been serialised as a build project. Looking forward to creating some swarf.

Jordan Pedersen10/12/2016 14:47:38
6 forum posts

Hey guys where's the best places to look for a Victoria? She's a beauty Steve ☺

NJH10/12/2016 16:59:36
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Hi Jordan

Try here:-

**LINK**

Steve Withnell10/12/2016 17:31:02
796 forum posts
215 photos

I never did get around to writing up my build of the Victoria. I did keep a written diary of the build, session by session as well as a lot of photographs:

**LINK**

It was only my second engine and so the way I went about things, should probably not be copied!

Some of these photo's are not 'my' Victoria but me stealing shots of other peoples engines to see how they had implemented various parts of the build. The steam cocks for example, are not shown on the plans - and as a novice I was clueless on how and where to put them.

Also - my version of the Victoria is not 'out of the box' - I concocted various changes to try to copy features from another engine I have. One key feature is that the governor is driven by sets of bevel gears - I designed and made these with a fair amount of advice and support by the more learned members of this forum - perhaps I should have called it the MEF Victoria!

Steve

Andy_C20/12/2017 20:09:46
25 forum posts
8 photos

Sorry to post again on this thread but have just found some really useful videos on YouTube by Keith Appleton from Mainsteam (along with a range of other useful videos) which focus on building the Victoria. Others may also find them useful.

***Link***

9 videos currently but hopefully more to come.

geoff walker 121/12/2017 13:17:34
374 forum posts
145 photos

Yes, nice work Steve.

I like this engine a lot, seriously considering forking out for a kit.

Smooth, long slow stroke, lovely.

Can you tell me something about the port sizes, valve size, lap, lead, eccentric throw etc.

Just curious really, I'm a tyro builder trying to develop a deeper understanding of valve dimensions and settings.

Lovely engine, I'm starting to drool!!!

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
cowells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest