By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Building a GWR Bulldog locomotive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Barry Q03/07/2009 19:04:13
41 forum posts
 Having only recently started to read ME I'm interested in the articles on Empire Building by Allan Crossfield but obviously haven't see all the articles.
From the few photos I've seen it is the later type with straight top frames.  Does the existing design of a Bulldog I have seen advertised on the web have sufficient information in the drawings to also build the earlier curved top frame version as well. Can anyone help before I spend about £100 on drawings that won’t give me what I want?

David Clark 103/07/2009 23:30:28
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi There
The drawings cover Bulldog and Dke Dog.
I think the duke Dog is the rounded frames.
regards David

Barry Q05/07/2009 09:26:37
41 forum posts
Hi David.
Thanks for such a quick reply. I'm not an outright GWR fan but living in the Westcountry  an admirer of both the GWR and their rival the SR. According to the info that I have the Dukedogs were a rebuild comprising old Duke boilers mounted on Bulldog frames. As the early Bulldogs had curved top frames and the later ones straight top frames it looks like the rebuilds (Dukedogs) utilised straight top frames from the later Bulldogs. I was hoping there is someone out there who has access to the drawings who may be able to give a definive answer. The alternative is to go ahead and hope that I can adapt the design to the earlier style.
Best regards, Barry
David Clark 105/07/2009 11:00:48
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi There
Drawings are straight frames.
I have access to all drawings.
The Dukedog is parallel boiler, Dulldog tapered.
I thought curved frames were covered in article in magazine though.
regards David

Barry Q06/07/2009 12:56:29
41 forum posts
Hi David,

Thanks for that. Looks like its to the drawing board to modify what has already been published. Also thanks for the tip that the curved frame version may have been included in the original write up.
Regards
Barry
david scott16/04/2010 10:41:40
4 forum posts
Keith included a photo of the curved frame Bulldog but never did any drawings of it.
I am slowly building a Bulldog with a slightly different rear step, and a curved frame Duke having got a drawing and done some research.
The curves do look good in 5" gauge, you can tell that Dean admired women and later Churchward didnt!!!
Regards
David Scott.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
walker midge
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest