By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

MEW Just gets better

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Wood116/05/2009 16:29:59
116 forum posts
I just wanted to say that, in my opinion, since David took over the magazine it just gets better and better with each issue. I am fairly new to the hobby but, largely due to MEW my workshop is getting fitted out sensibly and without too much cost and I am now turning out much better work as a result.

The signs are already there that David is working his magic on ME magazine as well and I think that, between the two the Model Engineering fraternity can look forward to a period of sustained growth and increased enthusiasm.

My personal thanks to David and I'm sure I speak for very many others.

All the best

John Wood1
Fred Graham 112/06/2009 17:15:33
13 forum posts
Hi

I have to agree with John Wood about David Clark. He seems to have an instinct for what the readers want and he is a good listener who responds to comment, good or not so good, in positive manner.

The format keeps on getting better and I like the contributors photos (of themselves) as you feel that you know them without ever meeting.

I look forward to Davids evaluation of the survey and hope that marine plant has a slightly larger coverage, but them I am biased more than a little. Marine plant seems to generate lots of innovative ideas or variations on old ideas from many contributors where scope for new ideas on the more popular locos and traction engines is limited by the constraints of the prototype.

I am still, however, in awe of the output of such models with the quality and finish which exponents achieve.

Meantime all the best to readers and thanks to David and the ME Team

Fred Graham
David Clark 112/06/2009 19:46:04
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hey,
Slow down.
I Won't be able to get my head through the door.

Seriously though, I have read Model Engineer since finding it in the school library in the mid 1960's. I learnt engineering from Model engineer and earned a lot of money from the knowledge gained.

Never did I dream that I would get the chance to put something back into the magazine.

A couple of readers have mentioned they thought I am not into model engineering. I am although I only have a a couple of part completed models to show for it. I have spent most of my life working on machines, both manual and CNC.

I have spent the best part of my life earning a living by machining and as a by product to this, I have purchased plenty of tools and machinesand now have two workshops that are well equipped. Now is the time to start making the models that I have also purchased over the years. I probably have about 8 steam engine casting kits, mostly Stuart but not all, a Redwing and  a half built diesel electric locomotive in SM32 (16mm scale 32 mm gauge).

Perhaps this is why I do a good job with ME and MEW?
I enjoy what I am doing.

regards David

9fingers13/07/2009 20:18:40
28 forum posts
3 photos
Just to slightly alter the balance and help David fit his head though the office door, I should like to make an appeal for relevant cover photos for MEW.
When browsing for a magazine in the newsagent, I feel there is an expectation that the cover should give a sample of the contents.
Looking back over the last year or so, there are very few photos that relate to the content of the current issue. In one or two cases the photo relates to a forthcoming issue!

What do others think about this.

Bob

David Clark 113/07/2009 21:10:16
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles
Hi There
I rarely get photos I can use as covers.
Usually they are too low a resolution, have a cluttered background, are landscape format or are generally unsuitable.

Open to suggestions.

Model Engineer is far easier to get suitable covers.
regards david

WALLACE29/07/2009 18:42:12
304 forum posts
17 photos
I just wonder - as one does - what would be the impact of dropping the words 'model' from the magazine title   ?

Seems to me that there would be quite an interest in a magazine that catered for a larger variety of workshop hobbies - not those perhaps orientated towards 'model' engineering.

Just a thought . . . .... . .  

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest