By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Myford Super 7 Tailstock assembly

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Toby Page25/07/2022 21:36:58
4 forum posts

I've recently acquired an old super 7 and the tailstock has some issues.

It was missing the Woodruff key so I've replaced that but now the handwheel doesn't seat properly against the tailstock body. It's like the barrel isn't threaded on to the barrel feed screw properly.

I've tried removing the barrel feed screw but it won't come out of the body. Any tips on how to remove or reduce the gap between handwheel and body please?

Thanks, Toby

David George 126/07/2022 08:01:33
1871 forum posts
505 photos

Hi Toby have you looked at the Myford web site. On there in the spares section is an exploded drawing of the parts and part numbers. I think something is out of place perhaps the old key has moved and is still in there but flat and behind or in front of the thrust bearing. I would think a complete strip down.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 26/07/2022 08:05:08

Toby Page26/07/2022 10:09:05
4 forum posts

Thanks David. I've just done that and discovered that the thrust bearing was fitted in the wrong order on the shaft.

Looks much better now but there's still a bit of a gap between handwheel and end cap. Is this normal? The nut is snugged down on the wheel and woodruff key fitted...

Can't work out how to upload a photo. Do I have to add an album first?

Toby Page26/07/2022 10:18:59
4 forum posts

Ignore me. Just noticed I'm missing a washer under the nut!

Ah the perils of inheriting old machines...

SillyOldDuffer26/07/2022 12:39:10
8862 forum posts
1995 photos
Posted by Toby Page on 26/07/2022 10:09:05:...

Can't work out how to upload a photo. Do I have to add an album first?

Hi Toby, welcome to the forum.

Yes, an album is usually needed. The process is a tad unusual but easy enough when you get used to it. All explained here.

Dave

Toby Page28/07/2022 09:07:46
4 forum posts

That's great. Thanks for the welcome and info Dave.

Edited By Toby Page on 28/07/2022 09:08:05

Martin Kyte28/07/2022 11:40:12
2781 forum posts
53 photos

You will notice that the anti rotation key (Item M18 Part No. A2144 Barrel Key) has a tendency to slop a little circumferentially allowing some rotational movement of the barrel when drilling especially if the keyway bore is a little worn. The remedy for this is to drill and tap the end of the key (I think 2BA or similar) and fit a screw. This will stiffen up the mounting of the key an significantly reduce the unwanted rotation.

regards Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate