Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Rod's Hoglet

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roderick Jenkins22/07/2022 15:23:44
2201 forum posts
616 photos

Just completed the cylinders as the first stage of my Hoglet build. Of course, I immediately deviated from the drawings and made mine out of FC steel rather than C.I.

h01.jpg

h02.jpg

EN1A is wonderful stuff

h03.jpg

They are not quite identical surprise. I touched up the end of the parting tool after cutting the grooves on the first cylinder and because the tapered blade has a smidgen of top rake the grooves are a couple of thou narrower (and the fins correspondingly wider) on the second cylinder.

Rod

JasonB22/07/2022 18:50:55
23022 forum posts
2763 photos
1 articles

Off to a good start Rod, are you going to just do the basic engine or will you include the kick starter?

Roderick Jenkins23/07/2022 00:02:13
2201 forum posts
616 photos
Posted by JasonB on 22/07/2022 18:50:55:

... will you include the kick starter?

Not sure. I do like the idea of the engine being self contained rather than needing a drill to turn it over. I'll see.

Rod

Roderick Jenkins30/07/2022 20:39:52
2201 forum posts
616 photos

The heads are made from c.i. and I coordinate drilled the hold down holes and left a 20 thou spigot on the head to locate in the cylinder. I've never been much inclined to make jigs and fixtures but, especially with 2 of everything, it seems necessary.

For drilling the cylinder fins for the hold down studs to pass through it all needs to be located and solidly held.

h04.jpg

h05.jpg

The long 3/16" centre drill worked very nicely

h06.jpg

The heads need holes drilled and milled at various angles so I made this fixture today. The aluminium square is Loctited and screwed to a 16mm steel spigot that fits in the ER25 collet block. The square is centered on the spigot and has a locating recess for the head so, in theory, I can put all the holes in the right place using the DRO in the mill, tilting the collet block in the vice as necessary.

Rod

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 30/07/2022 20:42:24

Graham Sherwood 108/08/2022 10:52:39
5 forum posts

Good work Rod, looks spot on.

I am not too far behind you with my Hoglet build , I am finishing up the connecting rods then onto assembling the crankshaft then the bottom end is complete.

Like a lot of posts I see, I am not happy with the design method of a 'grab' fit of the crank webs to the shaft. I am planning using grub screws between the crank pin and webs to lock them, but cant decide on a method for the crank shafts to webs as after locking the pin there is no access. As a last resort I could just loctite them I guess, but not happy with this - Can I ask how did you do this assembly? Thanks

Roderick Jenkins09/08/2022 16:49:19
2201 forum posts
616 photos

Hi Graham,

You are actually well ahead of me - I started withe the cylinders and am currently wrestling with the heads. I started with material I had in stock while waiting for the other stuff to be delivered.

I share your concerns but am a great believer in Loctite. My Wyvern crankshaft is fabricated only with the aid of Loctite 603 and has stood the test of time. Only yesterday I was disassembling a 1/2" PGMS bar in a 1/2" reamed hole fastened with Loctite and it took a lot of heat and a lot of hammering.

All the best,

Rod

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate