Sad consequence of rising costs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Horley27/06/2022 13:20:03
9 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 26/06/2022 19:34:47:
Posted by IanT on 26/06/2022 19:06:08:

Dropped a family friend off at Heathrow T2 last weekend - and they now charge you a fiver for the privelege.

Much the same in many hospital car parks, so take money if anyone is given a lift to A&E. To add insult to injury, you pay at a machine that puts stressed drivers through a difficult intellgence test! Don't fail to read the instructions carefully: if paying by card and the receipt contains the word 'VOID', you have to start again!

Recently the government withdrew an attempt to rein in car park overcharging after being threatened by the industry with a shower of legal challenges. A full-blown Act of Parliament is needed, which probably means it won't happen

sad

Dave

It's 7 quid at Stanstead!

Martin Kyte27/06/2022 14:02:16
2798 forum posts
53 photos

Whilst I dislike the idea that hospital visitors have to pay to park it's not actually the hospitals (at least in Cambridge ) that are doing the charging. The entire car park burden was handed over to NCP to run the thinking being that the NHS was there to spend money on patients and not on car parks and their associated running costs. Patients themselves when attending appointments do get I believe free rates and the same goes for A and E. Vistitors however pay full wack. I am fortunate in that our Lab is on the same site as the hospital (my wife has many clinics to attend) so I get to park in our Lab car park. Difficult to see a way out of the problem. If you want free parking you won't get any help from the commercial parking sector and without a charge everyone and his wife will park at the hospital and then get a bus into town taking all the spaces. In order to restrict usage to hospital visitors you have to police the car parks and users which costs money the NHS can ill afford.

Airports? well there is a different fish entirely.

regards Martin

Ketan Swali27/06/2022 14:33:01
1431 forum posts
134 photos
Posted by IanT on 26/06/2022 19:06:08:

Dropped a family friend off at Heathrow T2 last weekend - and they now charge you a fiver for the privelege.

Maybe it's been like that for a while (I don't know) - it's the first time I've been up to H/R since well before Covid. Took about 3 minutes to open the boot, get her suitcase out and say a quick "Goodbye and have a safe trip home" - and that was it - cough up £5 online within 24 hours or else...

It seems that motorists are not that popular these days but they don't mind taking your money of course...

IanT

Drop-off is currently free at Heathrow if you don't mind dropping them off in the Long Stay Car Park smiley. They provide a free shuttle bus service to the terminal, so that is one way around it. Saw a few people doing this last month, but does add about 20 to 30 mins to the journey. See near the bottom of this page.

Ketan.

Edited By Ketan Swali on 27/06/2022 14:38:11

Mike Poole27/06/2022 19:40:16
3383 forum posts
77 photos

I have done many airport drop off and pickups for my sons but since the silly charge for drop off and pick up has been introduced I now park up off site and have a coffee while waiting for a call that they are ready for pick-up. It was more pleasant to have a coffee in the arrivals and wait for them to come through. While Luton was being reorganised I did a quick check to see what had changed and got sucked into the no escape drop off pickup and had to pay for the experience. Beware of checking out the drop off as there is no escape once you are committed.

Mike

Robert Atkinson 227/06/2022 21:02:47
1246 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Martin Kyte on 27/06/2022 14:02:16:

Whilst I dislike the idea that hospital visitors have to pay to park it's not actually the hospitals (at least in Cambridge ) that are doing the charging. The entire car park burden was handed over to NCP to run the thinking being that the NHS was there to spend money on patients and not on car parks and their associated running costs. Patients themselves when attending appointments do get I believe free rates and the same goes for A and E. Vistitors however pay full wack. I am fortunate in that our Lab is on the same site as the hospital (my wife has many clinics to attend) so I get to park in our Lab car park. Difficult to see a way out of the problem. If you want free parking you won't get any help from the commercial parking sector and without a charge everyone and his wife will park at the hospital and then get a bus into town taking all the spaces. In order to restrict usage to hospital visitors you have to police the car parks and users which costs money the NHS can ill afford.

regards Martin

Not at Addenbrookes. If you have an appointment you get a fixed fee for up to 1 day. If you are there less than 2 hours it's cheaper to pay the public rate.

Chris Crew27/06/2022 21:22:33
235 forum posts

JA, Although, at this point in time, I definitely intend to go to the Midland show but I too am not buying tickets in advance. Last year I was taken in by the early publicity for the show and booked a non-refundable hotel room and non-refundable advance railway tickets to Leamington only to be informed later that the show had been cancelled. I accept that it was an exceptional time but the show should never have been announced if there was the slightest chance that it may have to be cancelled. I do not intend to get caught out again, which is unfortunate for the organisers because they may be partly depending on their advance ticket sales to evaluate whether the show will be viable or not but, if this is the case, I think they have only themselves to blame by trumpeting last years show and then cancelling.

duncan webster27/06/2022 21:32:03
4123 forum posts
66 photos

When I went to pick up #2 son at Liverpool you were actually on the one way approach road to the car park before they told you the charge. I just started reversing out (it was late at night and very quiet) and the security van rolled up, all lights flashing. He was a bit nonplussed at my Yorkshire determination not to be ripped off, and opened the barrier to let me through without paying. These charges really are a rip off and should be made illegal. You can't legally park anywhere near Manchester or Liverpool airports without paying because everywhere is festooned with yellow lines. Liverpool has a free drop off, a bit further away, but not pick up. I wouldn't mind paying say £1 with a time limit of 10 minutes, but £4 for 10 minutes is £24/hour, which is taking the mickey

Chris Crew27/06/2022 21:50:06
235 forum posts

Pardon me, but wasn't this thread supposed to be about the effect rising costs are having on our interests rather than petty gripes about hospital car park and airport charges? If you don't like the charges at hospitals and airports use public transport like my wife and I do although we both have cars. We live in a very rural village with minimal public transport links and either leave a car at the nearest station, which is 7 miles away, or park it on a relative's drive nearer to the larger town and then take the bus because its 'free' for us senior citizens (which only means younger people pay for us) and a senior railcard is a good investment too.

Martin Kyte27/06/2022 21:57:28
2798 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 27/06/2022 21:02:47:
Posted by Martin Kyte on 27/06/2022 14:02:16:

regards Martin

Not at Addenbrookes. If you have an appointment you get a fixed fee for up to 1 day. If you are there less than 2 hours it's cheaper to pay the public rate.

Ok. I stand corrected (I did say "do get I believe free rates ". I always use our car park or my wifes disabled badge so I didn't know for sure. At least they make some attempt at reducing costs for patients.

regards Martin

mark costello 127/06/2022 23:53:38
725 forum posts
12 photos

If it digs into My wallet, it is not petty.

Bill Phinn28/06/2022 01:04:01
768 forum posts
114 photos
Posted by mark costello 1 on 27/06/2022 23:53:38:

If it digs into My wallet, it is not petty.

Hence hospital parking charges do arguably contribute, for many of the older generation particularly, to the effect rising costs are having on our interests.

I can see no need to defend hospital parking charges, especially when some hospitals charge disabled badge holders whose disability means they cannot use public transport.

Life in the UK today is not just about rising costs but costs for more and more things that previously were free.

Chris Crew28/06/2022 04:10:07
235 forum posts

"Life in the UK today is not just about rising costs but costs for more and more things that previously were free."

Absolutely nothing is 'free'. You may not pay for some services at the point of delivery, like NHS treatment or the use of a bus pass but this just means you or someone else has paid for it elsewhere, i.e. yourself if you are under state retirement age and still working or younger working people through their National Insurance Contributions, again maybe even yourself through your council or income tax in the case of a bus pass. You can watch quite a few subscription-free television channels but in reality they have been paid for by the advertisers, so should you buy one of their products or service, it will have an element of this cost factored into the retail price.

Hopper28/06/2022 05:06:29
6696 forum posts
347 photos

But there is a difference between paying (even if indirectly) for what something costs such as NHS service, and paying as much or more again to cover a profit-making venture such as commercially run parking lots.

We've seen it here in Oz with the privatisation of formerly government owned services such as electricity. Oh yes they touted, there will be more suppliers, more consumer choice, and more competition which will drive electricity prices down. I don't even have to tell you how that worked out. Same as everywhere else, prices skyrocketed and the various corporations who took over from the government made a fortune by adding on massive profit margins at consumers' expense.

Totally unfettered free markets work wonderfully at increasing efficiency -- efficiency at making a profit as the expense of all other factors, which is not necessarily what you want for essential services such as health care and electricity, or hospital parking. Just look at the American example. More money per capita spent on healthcare than any other nation in the world. But one of the lowest standards of overall healthcare in the Western world -- as evidenced by their ultra high covid fatalities -- all due to the amount of that money that gets sucked up as the massive profit margin in their unique privatised healthcare and insurance system.

Jeez, don't get me started...

B Tulley28/06/2022 05:44:17
39 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by duncan webster on 27/06/2022 21:32:03:

You can't legally park anywhere near Manchester or Liverpool airports without paying because everywhere is festooned with yellow lines. Liverpool has a free drop off, a bit further away, but not pick up. I wouldn't mind paying say £1 with a time limit of 10 minutes, but £4 for 10 minutes is £24/hour, which is taking the mickey

A few weeks ago I got caught by the Gatwick Airport drop-off charge - I was looking for the long stay parking and missed the turn off, so had to "go around". As soon as I saw the drop off charge sign I was committed, with no way out; it cost me a fiver for a "didn't even stop" drive-thru' that took seconds, literally. Wasn't a happy bunny.

RMA28/06/2022 08:25:36
324 forum posts
4 photos

This is an interesting topical discussion which affects all of us, one way or another. Unfortunately assets and essential services in the UK have been allowed to be sold off, piece by piece, to foreign governments, foreign companies and syndicates, who are all in it for profit! Government spin would have us believe it's for our own good!

Chris Crew28/06/2022 10:25:34
235 forum posts

"Government spin would have us believe it's for our own good!"

This thread is in danger of descending into a political debate which may attract the attention of a moderator. However, the above quote is very subjective as it depends on whether you view the unfettered 'free market' as a self-regulating mechanism that brings its own benefits or whether you believe a more regulated economy would protect those with the least economic assets, i.e. low skill labour etc., or going even further whether you think that a centrally planned 'command economy' would be a good idea. And that's as far as I dare go on this subject.

Hopper28/06/2022 10:42:34
6696 forum posts
347 photos

Without getting political, but sticking to economics, the big fly in the ointment of free market theory is the unsubstantiated assumptions that consumers always make choices that are 1. Informed. 2. Rational. And 3. In their own best interests.

If that were the case, the advertising industry would not exist.

Chris Crew28/06/2022 10:54:37
235 forum posts

"Without getting political, but sticking to economics"

I would contend that economics and politics are one and the same. Exactly the same as war is a continuation of politics by other means as someone once said, "an act of violence intended to compel our opponent to fulfil our own will".

Hopper28/06/2022 11:21:34
6696 forum posts
347 photos

They were taught as two different classes when I went to school. War was studied in the playground at lunchtime.

But it's hard to tell these days. Do the politicians control the economy? They like to take credit for it when its going well. Or do the corporations control politics through donations and backhanders? Now, that's getting political so I shall stop there.

Edited By Hopper on 28/06/2022 11:24:18

Chris Crew28/06/2022 15:39:03
235 forum posts

Sadly, school is not the real world. A better and more useful education is only obtained by attending the University of Life but even there some people fail to obtain the necessary qualifications, I may be one of them as I have had to apply for a few resits in order to progress to the post-graduate level.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate