Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Progress 2G pillar drill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derrick Simpson19/06/2022 10:39:23
5 forum posts
6 photos

Hi, Derrick Simpson here, retired farmer. I have a large workshop with a lathe, various saws and lots of tools. Spend a lot of time fixing [i hope] local golf course equipment etc.

My Progress 2G drill stopped working y esterday and on dismantle found the TUFNOL large gear cog broken. I was hoping someone could advise how and where to purchase another. I dont use this machine often but its so handy for a slow turning drill.

Regards to all

Del

Kiwi Bloke20/06/2022 05:52:16
695 forum posts
1 photos

Derrick, Gate Machinery took over the Progress name, and offered support for the products. About 20 years ago, a very helpful chap at Gate (who was a friend of a friend, and will have retired years ago) provided me with a new Tufnol gear for my 2GS (same as yours, but floor-standing). The original gears were a dark grey plastic material, not fabric-reinforced, and tended to swell in the oil. Perhaps there are still a few, lurking in a dark corner, somewhere, although the web site makes no mention of machines of this age. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

**LINK**

Good luck!

Brian Wood20/06/2022 09:36:10
2579 forum posts
39 photos

Hello Derrick,

In the unlikely event of finding a replacement gear you might find someone on the forum willing to make you one from Tufnol

They will need to know the diameter, tooth count, rim and hub thicknesses [they might be different] hub bore and details of the keyway drive, it might be a spline fitting for example . A few pictures to go with the information will also be helpful

Regards

Brian

Derrick Simpson20/06/2022 11:05:16
5 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks for the replies,have not as yet completely removed the gear but will attempt to post photos when i do.

Also i will try a phone call with Gate Machinery.

Hope i can fix this ,its an old friend.

Cheers

not done it yet20/06/2022 14:31:48
6887 forum posts
20 photos

It can, of course, be fixed. Of that. there is no doubt. The gears may even be the same as used in the Meddings range of back-geared pillar drills?

Kiwi Bloke20/06/2022 22:15:48
695 forum posts
1 photos

It's an helical spur gear, just to make life more complicated. However, as Graham Meek has demonstrated with his FB-2 gears, the proper helical form can sometimes be ignored, with the gear being cut with the cutter fed at an appropriate angle to the gear's axis of rotation. Of course, those with universal dividing heads and a universal mill needn't worry. It could also be 3-D printed?  [ Long way of saying that a DIY replacement isn't impossible...]

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 20/06/2022 22:20:08

Derrick Simpson21/06/2022 13:58:36
5 forum posts
6 photos

Hi all, tried Gate Machinery but they don't have one.

taken photos but no measurements yet, not sure how to post these from my mac, thought i had made an album but didnt seem to work. Not great on computer.

If anyone is interested in trying to make one i could post it

Derrick Simpson22/06/2022 09:50:17
5 forum posts
6 photos

Think i managed to show photos

not done it yet22/06/2022 12:42:28
6887 forum posts
20 photos

Yes, def different to the Meddings.

Brian Wood22/06/2022 16:51:34
2579 forum posts
39 photos

Hello Derrick,

The gear construction is unusual and interesting in that there seems to be an internal bracer in the form of a split ring behind the gear teeth. Whether it is meant to be split is not clear, nor what it is made of..

Assuming the smaller drive gear to be made in steel, is there corresponding damage to that?

I am intrigued by this job, it would make an interesting challenge. I would need to examine it and the broken off pieces in detail before committing myself and cannot consider it anyway before the end of July. Why not send me an email so that we can go into the nitty gritty and sort something out that suits us both?

wood_@btinternet.com

Regards

Brian

Edited By Brian Wood on 22/06/2022 16:53:00

Edited By Brian Wood on 22/06/2022 17:11:59

Brian Wood22/06/2022 19:31:34
2579 forum posts
39 photos

Hello again Derrick,

Error in my email address, I don't use that one so frequently

it should read as follows wood_y@btinternet.com

Regards

Brian

Ady122/06/2022 19:56:40
5170 forum posts
738 photos

Kiwi Bloke22/06/2022 22:17:43
695 forum posts
1 photos

From 20-year-old memories, and thus suspect, I think that the metal hub, to which the gear is dowelled and fixed with screws, has its major diameter as the radial locating face for the gear. The hub fits quite tightly into the recess formed by the remnant of the 'upstand' on the face of the gear. The gear face inside and outside this 'upstand' have been faced down, thinning the clamping face and also the teeth (hope that makes sense). What looks like a retaining ring is the result of the 'upstand' having de-laminated.

The tooth width is small enough, I'm sure, to allow the gear to be cut without proper helical form, so the job isn't too bad...

Derrick Simpson28/06/2022 19:38:54
5 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks everyone for your comments and help, managed to get a piece of tufnol from plastic stockist .com, £20.00 delivered. Turned out the shape on my lathe [ i am not an expert] but it seems ok. Balked at the job of teeth so its now on its way to Brian who kindly volunteered to do the job.

Thanks everyone

Bill Davies 229/06/2022 11:38:22
287 forum posts
11 photos

Hi, Brian. Just a comment for others, that it is not to post personal email addresses, use a private message to send info to the recipient. Otherwise, you may end up with unwanted emails forever.

Good luck with the gear, old machines are nice to use and to look at, and deserve repair.

Bill

Brian Wood30/06/2022 09:29:11
2579 forum posts
39 photos

Hello Bill,

I used to spell out the "underscore" and the "at" but that seemed to make it difficult for people, so used to scanning these addresses in, to contact me. If I start getting unwanted mail I will junk that and create another address specifically for this sort of contact.

Thank you for your concern though

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate