Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Micromatic Odee-Hone

What and How

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Astill09/06/2022 11:40:28
114 forum posts
20 photos

have a Micromatic Odee-Hone from an auction lot i internal hone engine cylinders for Karts and bikes but have never seen one like this i assume its an external hone for shafts? is it hand held while the material turns in a lathe? has anyone used one at all.

Bob

hone.jpg

noel shelley09/06/2022 13:38:52
1451 forum posts
23 photos

A nice tool and quite handy for honing rods,pistons Etc It shows no sign of a mounting so I would take it is hand held, I have used the interior ones to hone bores using paraffin as the lube and to wash debris away. Interesting ! Noel.

Bob Astill10/06/2022 08:13:54
114 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by noel shelley on 09/06/2022 13:38:52:

A nice tool and quite handy for honing rods,pistons Etc It shows no sign of a mounting so I would take it is hand held, I have used the interior ones to hone bores using paraffin as the lube and to wash debris away. Interesting ! Noel.

I use the Sunnen and Delapens internal mandrils all the time but i have never seen anything like this.

Bob

mgnbuk10/06/2022 08:52:14
1211 forum posts
72 photos

Bruce Engineering do a couple of external hone kits (now sold by Polly Engineering) of a single stone + vee block design - current catalogue shows the 1" capacity kit at £20.50 & the 2" at £30.50. Kits include castings, bar stock & stones, but you need to look in the downloadable .pdf catalogue to see them as the Polly website isn't great for descriptions or pictures.

Similar function devices appear to be available from Sunnen.

Nigel B.

Hopper10/06/2022 09:33:07
6727 forum posts
348 photos

I would be cautious about using it hand held on the lathe as it is. The Sunnen equivalents usually have a torque arm on them that engages with a guide bar on the honing machine to prevent it spinning around if it grabs on to the rotating job. I reckon you would want to have it at least rested against the carriage or a block of wood on the lathe bed etc to prevent it spinning if it grabs.

It may have originally fitted into a honing machine that had a carriage and holder and moved along the job a bit like a travelling steady on a lathe. Seems to be a few of the pictured unit for sale on the net, but no detail of how they were originally used. As Micromatic were a US manufacturer of honing machines, I would guess it was for use in one of those rather for general use in a lathe. But possibly not.

Edited By Hopper on 10/06/2022 09:33:55

SillyOldDuffer10/06/2022 09:53:01
8912 forum posts
2000 photos

Posted by Hopper on 10/06/2022 09:33:07:

Seems to be a few of the pictured unit for sale on the net, but no detail of how they were originally used. As Micromatic were a US manufacturer of honing machines, I would guess it was for use in one of those rather for general use in a lathe. But possibly not...

I notice Bob's example is marked something Shipman and MADE IN ENGLAND on the arm. My guess is the tool was popular enough to be made under licence in the UK by Jones & Shipman.

No idea how it was used; doesn't look to be either handheld or a fitment.

Another guess is the name Odee comes from the abbreviation for Outside Diameter.

Dave

Bob Astill02/07/2022 15:08:35
114 forum posts
20 photos

Sorry for late reply so busy at work but thanks guys all interesting reading.

Bob

Howard Lewis02/07/2022 16:07:57
6317 forum posts
15 photos

+1 for Hopper's advice not to hand hold, in case it grabs

It really needs some means of preventing it from rotating in use.

Howard

SillyOldDuffer02/07/2022 16:39:37
8912 forum posts
2000 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 02/07/2022 16:07:57:

+1 for Hopper's advice not to hand hold, in case it grabs

It really needs some means of preventing it from rotating in use.

Howard

As there's no obvious way of holding it perhaps the device sits balanced on the work like a saddle while the job spins freely under it. Perhaps the weight provides the right amount of force - it's a hone, not intended to remove lots of metal.

Dave

Neil Lickfold03/07/2022 01:26:24
892 forum posts
195 photos

I have used the sunnen external hones. I used them hand held and had the carriage well clear of the work piece. I use light pressure and oil at the same time. Of you use too much pressure, yes it will grab. But you will know when it's going to grab by the resistance you are feeling. The sunnen ones have another piece that puts a little bit of pressure/preload on as it being used. Like bore honing, their is a definite skill or technique to be able to get the best out of them, despite the sunnen flyers saying that you can used unskilled labour to make round holes or round shafts. With care you can get down to microns of roundness or even better. You can feel the out of round condition, and there is a large stone selection, for different types of materials being honed.

not done it yet03/07/2022 07:04:03
6891 forum posts
20 photos

I suspect that tapered hole in the right-side element, as shown in your pic, is there for some means of supporting the tool while in operation?

Contacting Hardinge may be a worthwhile check?

They do say, quote:

Today, we continue to service our Jones & Shipman legacy products worldwide.

:unquote.

Edited By not done it yet on 03/07/2022 07:06:35

old mart03/07/2022 20:52:59
3913 forum posts
268 photos

If one of the arms was extended and a rest like a wood working lathe was was fitted to the toolpost, it would be relatively safe to use in a lathe at low speeds, say 200 rpm or less. As long as it was kept away from the chuck, that is.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate