By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

FORUM DOWNTIME AND RESULTING ISSUES REPORTING

Please use this thread for reporting problems only, not for feature requests etc.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer26/06/2022 17:23:19
8903 forum posts
1999 photos
Posted by David George 1 on 26/06/2022 16:24:42:

New windows 11 work station Dell. the spell check says there is a problem but there is no way it will fix the spelling problem. also as my tablet still has a problem with security and in this state it deletes messges to another member when you click send and it wipes out what you have spent 20 minutes concocting.

David George

Which spell-checker? The one provided by the forum, which is off by default, or the one in your browser? Which browser are you running? As far as I can tell the forum SCAYT checker, which I don't recommend for other reasons, is working normally.

Unfortunately your tablet's problem means the connection is likely to break every time the certificate is checked. If the encryption between your tablet and the website becomes confused mid-session, whatever the cause, both ends of the link will terminate the connection immediately. Done brutally because the error usually means a hacker is breaking in.

Although the message warns there's a security issue, not so in this case, because the connection is refused entirely. What's happening, I think, is older versions of Android don't handle a particular special case correctly. The special case is when a new certificate authority issues a certificate that Android doesn't trust, and the computer - for some reason - mishandles a cross-check provided by another certificate authority. Roughly equivalent to finding a brand-new door key won't open s lock and the owner can't find the spare...

I'm not having certificate problems on any of my computers - 3 different Windows, 4 different Linux, and an Apple. Unfortunately I don't have an Android device to try and recreate the fault. I've also run a third-party check on the forum's certificate and it's OK.

Complicated stuff. Darren said he's waiting for a certificate expert's help. Fingers crossed he can fix it!

Dave

Andrew Tinsley26/06/2022 20:06:16
1615 forum posts

The email service on the forum is not working for me. I can send an email to a forum member, but looking in the sent box, the message doesn't appear.

Andrew.

Darren H27/06/2022 11:58:31
44 forum posts
1 photos
2 articles
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/06/2022 08:39:34:
Posted by David George 1 on 23/06/2022 06:43:11:

And now safe again on tablet? Dosn't make sense to me.

David

May be this problem, in which Android devices before version 7.1.1 have trouble with new certificates issued by a new certificate authority, notably "Let's Encrypt".

After change of ownership and being moved to a new server, the forum is now authenticated by a new Let's Encrypt security certificate. As David also has an old version of Android, the planets are aligned, and he's having bad luck! Could be a coincidence, but...

There is a workaround. It is to change the phones' Browser to Firefox Mobile. Seems that Firefox keeps it's own copy of the certificate and doesn't use the wonky certificate checks provided by pre-7.1.1 Android.

Dave

It looks like this is the problem older versions of Android do not recognise the certificate - the cert is in place though and valid.

Darren H27/06/2022 11:58:53
44 forum posts
1 photos
2 articles
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 26/06/2022 20:06:17:

The email service on the forum is not working for me. I can send an email to a forum member, but looking in the sent box, the message doesn't appear.

Andrew.

We are looking at this today

JasonB27/06/2022 13:49:32
23070 forum posts
2769 photos
1 articles

Just got an e-mail notification of a new Private Message so it's working again at my end.

David George 128/06/2022 07:17:57
1873 forum posts
505 photos

The security problem with my tablet was working with no problem last night but this morning it's reared its ugly head, unsafe web site again. Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Android V 7. No problem with any other site.

David

SillyOldDuffer28/06/2022 13:21:35
8903 forum posts
1999 photos
Posted by David George 1 on 28/06/2022 07:17:57:

The security problem with my tablet was working with no problem last night but this morning it's reared its ugly head, unsafe web site again. Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Android V 7. No problem with any other site.

David

Have you tried installing Firefox Mobile on the Galaxy and using that to browse the forum? In theory, because Firefox handles the certificates rather than relying on Android, and has been kept up to date it should work.

The symptoms fit a known combination of circumstances, whereby the client device fails if:

1. A website starts using a new certificate AND
  2. The new certificate was issued by a new Certificate Authority, AND
  3. The client device hasn't been upgraded to recognise Certificate Authorities created after the device was first sold, AND
  4. The client device hasn't been upgraded to correctly check the validity of a new certificate by asking one of the Certificate Authorities it does trust. The way this check is done changed after Android 7 was released.

From the description, I think David's Galaxy gets the forum's new certificate and doesn't trust it because it doesn't recognise the new Authority. It then asks one of the Certificate Authorities it knows of to confirm the new boy is OK. The certificate is confirmed, and the Galaxy connects. So far so good.

Unfortunately, certificates are re-checked repeatedly during sessions, and one of these checks fails later on and Android drops the connection like a red-hot potato because it no longer trusts the website. I suspect, having been told the new certificate authority is OK, Android 7 isn't caching a copy of new certificate, and does the later check with a copy of the old one, which is now wrong. Might be fixed by a factory reset.

The reason the Galaxy appears to be working correctly with other websites is most of them don't meet the four AND conditions needed to trigger the fault - yet! The error isn't with the certificate itself, or a real security problem, its because the way certificates are managed has changed slightly, and Android 7 doesn't understand the new regime.

The website that explains this stuff recommends Firefox as a fix because it doesn't rely on Android 7 to get the security checks right. And because Firefox is kept to up to date, it should manage new certificates from a new authority without dropping the ball. I don't know for sure Firefox fixes the problem but surely worth trying.

In general always good to keep computers up to date. The rate of change is rapid and it doesn't take long for mismatches between old and new to appear, causing weird bugs.

Dave

Neil Wyatt28/06/2022 18:47:08
19079 forum posts
736 photos
80 articles

Very useful, thanks Dave.

Neil

Peter Greene 🇨🇦28/06/2022 21:53:21
559 forum posts
8 photos

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 28/06/2022 13:21:35:

And because Firefox is kept to up to date ...

And how! Firefox these days is little more than a frequent-release series of beta-test versions especially the Windows application (even the ESR is little better).

Bill Pudney28/06/2022 22:12:53
617 forum posts
24 photos

I'm on the verge of giving up. Despite my subscription showing that it's current, I have not received any issues for a while, cannot see any digital issues. The forum seems to be in most "Myford" threads....time served, dust coated, pipe smoking old scrapers all saying the times at 1910 were perfect. I keep hoping that the magazine it will get better, but realistically it probably won't.

best wishes ....hopefuly

cheers

Bill

Martyn Duncumb29/06/2022 16:22:24
51 forum posts
3 photos

You may all know this already but just to say I received an email this afternoon from Mortons with my Digital ID.

I have logged in and accessed Magazines and been able to look at the current issue of MEW without any problems. I also accessed a 2010 edition of MEW also with no problems. I have a print subscription.

It only seemed to go back as far as 2010 but I have not done a major investigation and assume that earlier editions will follow later.

Martyn

Martyn Duncumb29/06/2022 18:59:10
51 forum posts
3 photos

I have just looked again and the available issues are back to March 2020 followed by three 2010 issues.

Hopefully they are working on restoring all the missing ones.

Martyn

Neil Wyatt29/06/2022 20:32:40
19079 forum posts
736 photos
80 articles
Posted by Bill Pudney on 28/06/2022 22:12:53:

I'm on the verge of giving up. Despite my subscription showing that it's current, I have not received any issues for a while, cannot see any digital issues. The forum seems to be in most "Myford" threads....time served, dust coated, pipe smoking old scrapers all saying the times at 1910 were perfect. I keep hoping that the magazine it will get better, but realistically it probably won't.

best wishes ....hopefuly

cheers

Bill

Hi Bill, you need that new subscriber number. " Find you Customer ID on either the carrier sheet that comes with your magazine or your renewal letter. "

Or please see THIS LINK.

Neil

Neil Wyatt29/06/2022 20:33:38
19079 forum posts
736 photos
80 articles
Posted by Martyn Duncumb on 29/06/2022 18:59:10:

I have just looked again and the available issues are back to March 2020 followed by three 2010 issues.

Martyn

Yes it is being worked on, it means generating LOTS of new issues but the new reader works about ten times faster than the old one and lets you customise and download PDFs at last!

Neil

Weary29/06/2022 20:42:42
388 forum posts
1 photos

Neil,

your link in your message timed 20:32:40 next-but-one message above doesn't work (for me anyway). Gives all the usual headers etc., but where I would anticipate a thread it simply reads:

"Error

This page cannot be found"

I pursued it as I seemingly only receive (Model Engineer) magazines intermittently since the new owners have taken-over & would like to try and resolve it.

Regards,

Phil

David George 130/06/2022 07:01:32
1873 forum posts
505 photos

The problem with the security seems to have disappeared. 🤞🏻 not had a problem since yesterday afternoon.

David

Darren H30/06/2022 07:04:30
44 forum posts
1 photos
2 articles
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/06/2022 20:33:38:
Posted by Martyn Duncumb on 29/06/2022 18:59:10:

Martyn

Yes it is being worked on, it means generating LOTS of new issues but the new reader works about ten times faster than the old one and lets you customise and download PDFs at last!

Neil

We are working on it! Hopefully there will be a lot more up this week. What's slowing us down is the old reader had issue file names as the issue number, the new one needs a date to display them in the correct order - it's a manual and slow process!

Darren H30/06/2022 07:11:17
44 forum posts
1 photos
2 articles

If you hit the archive button (top bar, 4th from right) on Workshop, you should now see many many more issues.

JasonB30/06/2022 07:16:01
23070 forum posts
2769 photos
1 articles

"I also accessed a 2010 edition of MEW also with no problems. I have a print subscription."

Neil/Darren is there something wrong there Archive was for those with digital or print plus ?

Darren H30/06/2022 07:17:41
44 forum posts
1 photos
2 articles
Posted by JasonB on 30/06/2022 07:16:01:

"I also accessed a 2010 edition of MEW also with no problems. I have a print subscription."

Neil/Darren is there something wrong there Archive was for those with digital or print plus ?

Yes, there's not supposed to be access for print only. Leave it with me, I'll have a look

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate