By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Removing a retaining washer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
jon hill 322/05/2022 16:01:21
126 forum posts
24 photos

I am in the middle of taking apart a paraffin blowlamp. On taking out the pump plunger the leather cup is retained with a cone shaped washer with is designed to go on bit not easily dislodge. Is there any way of taking off the cone washer without damaging it or brass washer it faces on the other end of the leather cup?

Harry Wilkes22/05/2022 16:12:34
1343 forum posts
65 photos

Maybe not possible but Ive removed similar by twisting and pulling the washer


jon hill 322/05/2022 16:23:02
126 forum posts
24 photos

I did try gently prying the washer free but the brass washer was begining to buckle, I could try cutting it with a sidecutters. Incidently is there are technical name for such retaining washers?

Howard Lewis23/05/2022 17:21:15
6104 forum posts
14 photos

Some of the names that they've been called won't be printable!

If it is a thin black washer with radial slots, it is probably called a Salterfix washerl

Occasionally pulling while rotating around the shaft will eventually remove them. About a 50 / 50 chance of terminabl damage,


Nigel Graham 223/05/2022 17:49:03
2133 forum posts
29 photos

I'm pretty sure replacement washers of that type are still made. They are commonly used for retaining revolving parts on light-loaded, often cheaply-made (if not cheaply sold!), products.

They are probably sacrificial, normally replaced after a repair.

Using side-cutters on them might work but is likely to spoil your cutters with it.

Nigel Graham 223/05/2022 17:59:47
2133 forum posts
29 photos

never let it be said....

I followed up my own post.

Yes, they or equivalents do exist.

"Starlock" is one make, according to who also show a simpler, more generic "push-on fastener" with no trade-mark name.

You might find them stocked by motor-factors (probably in a snazzy compartment-box of oodles of several sizes!), or you could try a domestic-appliance repairer happy to sell you just a few of suitable size.

Model-Fixings might stock them too: worth asking. Among "our" suppliers, and I have used them a few times for small metric screws and nuts.


For more specialist parts like the pump leather and valves, you could try BaseCamp, in Brighton. They specialise in spares for oil-lamps and the like.

Robert Dodds23/05/2022 18:05:21
320 forum posts
62 photos

I see Amazon do an assortment box for less than a tenner

Regards Bob D

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest