1053 photos
Posted by Juddy on 20/05/2022 11:53:43:

I've got one of these: […]

Those look very promising, Juddy … Thanks for the links yes

MichaelG.

Martin Johnson 120/05/2022 12:58:32
147 forum posts
1 photos

I also have the second type from AIM tools. Very good and I am building a 7" scale steam lorry with it, so it is not cossetted!

Martin

magpie20/05/2022 14:07:24
494 forum posts
98 photos

I have 3 Dremels, the oldest was bought in 1981 and still going strong.

disgust

Dek.

not done it yet20/05/2022 17:08:29
6809 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by magpie on 20/05/2022 14:07:24:

I have 3 Dremels, the oldest was bought in 1981 and still going strong.

disgust

Dek.

What about the other two?🙂

fizzy20/05/2022 21:25:46
1843 forum posts
120 photos

I use a Dremel every day at work making boilers - they tend to last about a year of low speed use before the speed controller fails and it goes open full speed - which doesnt work for me. Argos offer an extended warranty which serves me well. Never had a motor fail. I always keep a spare in stock, just in case. A superior tool which gets a lot more use is the Proxxon long neck mini grinder - I use the 2" abraisive sanding pads and it gets used a lot - I keep two as back ups. They regularly go pop but thats due to copper dust getting into the switch controller. Thankfully they are cheap and easy to fix. I have three of these in different parts of the workshop and wouldnt entertain working without one.

Paul Lousick21/05/2022 00:23:05
2043 forum posts
722 photos

When running an electric motor on low speed, not only is the torque reduced but also the cooling fan speed which can cause overheating.

Pero21/05/2022 07:52:45
161 forum posts

I note that the tool linked by Juddy is shown as "sold out" however I have purchased the same thing ( i.e. visually the same ) via Aliexpress for not a lot of money. They also sell clones of the older Dremel 395 for even less money. At one time these were sold as genuine Dremel which I think they probably were.

On the lasting power of Dremels, my go to machine is more than 4 decades old and features the original bronze bearings with felt wick oilers. The only issue I had with this machine is that the hole for the back bearing oiler was originally covered by a factory label. Fortunately this was found and opened up for oiling before any damage was done. A drop or two of 3 in 1 oil before each days use and away it goes ( at its one and only speed ). However these machines are only designed for light work and wont sustain heavy loads for any length of time.

The bigger machine ( as per Juddy's link ) is much more capable but gets heavy in the hand fairly quickly.

Pero

Graham Meek21/05/2022 10:08:15
473 forum posts
300 photos

I have had a 12v Proxxon for over 10 years, it has done a lot of work and is still fine, never gets hot and is above all quiet compared to some I have used.

Regards

Gray,

Hollowpoint22/05/2022 06:52:21
473 forum posts
58 photos

The old B&D minicraft drills are my favourite. They are a bit of a hidden gem amongst tools! I have one from the 80's that absolutely refuses to die, even with fairly heavy use. Most of them where made in England or Germany using good quality components, the motors for example are Johnson and the bearings are usually European or Japanese. I've had other brands since which haven't lasted nearly as long.

ega22/05/2022 12:32:18
2539 forum posts
201 photos

Hollowpoint:

My "Dremel" is a MINICRAFT too but not B&D branded. It's a 12V 100W device "MADE IN ENGLAND" with a West German 6mm chuck by Rohm and the German language preceding English on the box.

I wonder if it's the same under the skin as yours?

Hollowpoint22/05/2022 13:19:46
473 forum posts
58 photos
Posted by ega on 22/05/2022 12:32:18:

Hollowpoint:

My "Dremel" is a MINICRAFT too but not B&D branded. It's a 12V 100W device "MADE IN ENGLAND" with a West German 6mm chuck by Rohm and the German language preceding English on the box.

I wonder if it's the same under the skin as yours?

Very likely the same. Mine isn't B&D branded either. I don't know why some are and some aren't.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest