Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Gearbox splines internal and external

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Col2107/05/2022 18:22:54
14 forum posts
4 photos

Hi there

Ive got an external splined shaft that’s stripped the splines. Was thinking to machine a new spline shaft but would it have to be hardened after machining. It’s about 100mm diameter by about 150mm long about 30ish splines. Also the hub splines it locates into has stripped about 5 splines of it. What type of welding rod would one use to build back up to remachine.

SillyOldDuffer08/05/2022 18:34:33
8672 forum posts
1961 photos

I don't know! The late, great John Stevenson did this sort of work but it's out of my league. Anyone else into repairing splines?

Dave

Clive Foster08/05/2022 19:48:06
3135 forum posts
109 photos

Google is probably your friend here.

Did a quick search with building up splines with weld as the text and got a number of useful hits from reliable sites

Only one I looked at was a thread on the MIG Welding Forum titled Spline Repair. Nice thing about MIG Welding Forum is that its UK based and (usually) doesn't call out anything uber hard to get over here.

Start Quote from one reply

You don’t want to use anything too exotic like SuperMissileWeld which is basically just a jumped up nickel rod.

Either 309/312 if you think the original shaft is a hardenable material.
Or just go right ahead and weld it with ER70s2 TIG or 7018 stick

End quote

Clive

Edited By Clive Foster on 08/05/2022 19:48:51

John ATTLEE08/05/2022 19:58:40
23 forum posts

What machine is it for and do you know what caused it to fail. Is the hardening to resist the wear or to increase the strength? How come only five internal splines are stripped? I would have expected it to be all or none! Is the shaft 150 mm long or is that just the length of the splines? How long are the internal splines? What is the form of the spines?

John

Hopper08/05/2022 23:56:04
6388 forum posts
334 photos

Driveshaft for a 10 ton truck? Or agitator drive for a washing machine? Could make a difference with rod choice.

duncan webster09/05/2022 00:54:14
3984 forum posts
65 photos

If a new one would have to be hardened after machining, so would a built up one. At least with new material you know what it is, what it's current state is, and how to harden/temper it

Bill Davies 209/05/2022 13:46:39
283 forum posts
11 photos

Col21, since there are a lot of splines, I guess they are vee or involute, probably the latter as these can be hobbed like gears.

So, if you plan to machine one, you might check for curved teeth.

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest