Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

High Speed Bench Drill?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DiodeDick23/04/2022 23:21:50
36 forum posts
9 photos

There are some jobs that need a high speed. The twist grip lock barrel in the attached pic was/is secured by 2 x 1/16" pins from the inside. Tried to drill them out with regular drill press and the bit wandered off and started to chew the Mazak casting. The Meddings precision drill put the bit straight down the middle.

DickAmal carb

Michael Gilligan24/04/2022 07:06:05
20182 forum posts
1053 photos
Posted by Barry Smith 4 on 22/04/2022 18:07:25:

[…]

Ideally a high speed head for my F3 Aceria would be nice, but almost impossible to find, hence deciding to look at alternatives solutions.

This is drifting off-topic in so many ways, Barry … but I think you will appreciate JMW’s solution to a related problem:

**LINK**

http://www.j-m-w.co.uk/HJ%20Published%20ArticleNEW.pdf

MichaelG.

Edit: __ As Magritte might have put it: Ceci n’est pas une Proxxon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 24/04/2022 07:11:00

David George 124/04/2022 08:13:36
1839 forum posts
503 photos

A project I worked on was to drill holes for vacume air holes for vacume forming tooling. After running various small drilling heads we finally came up with an air drill which was infinitely variable speed motor by air pressure and air cooled so no overheating and collets held drills true and 0.25 size drill no problem. We just mounted it on a pantograph like bracket to hold it vertical.

David

David-Clark 124/04/2022 10:46:18
220 forum posts

I used to work at Westwind Air Bearings about 15 years ago.

They made water cooled drilling spindles for PCB boards etc.

Top speed was 360,000 rpm. They had a 500,000 rpm unit under test.

Although this is not particularly relevant to this thread, it shows that high speed drills are available and I believe they were 1/8 shank and made of tungsten carbide.

Perhaps the faster speeds of these small drilling machines /can be used by using these small drills.

Roger B24/04/2022 11:12:34
188 forum posts
82 photos

I have owned a TBM220 with the Rohm 6mm chuck for a few years. It is generally good but at the price has obviously has some limitations:

- The feed is by a crank and rod rather that a rack so it is not linear.

- The column and base are not very rigid so with high drilling forces there is some deflection (but why would you be using high feed pressure on such a small machine?)

- The size range of the collets is limited however the Rohm chuck is good.

On the plus side:

- The play in the quill is adjustable.

- The simple depth gauge works well.

- The Proxxon short series drill set suits the machine well.

- It works well for tapping with the drive belt removed.

I always have the X-Y table fitted and also have the simple rotary table.

092 drilling the ends of the adjustment slots 2mm.jpg

Roger B25/04/2022 19:53:35
188 forum posts
82 photos

As a quick show and tell I drilled a 0.3mm hole through a piece of 2mm brass using a Proxxon 0.3 mm drill bit at 8 000 rpm. The Rohm chuck held that with no problems but would not hold a 0.2mm bit (I generally used reinforced shank at 0.2mm or less so it is not a real issue.

0 point 3 mm hole.jpg

Donovan Kaardal18/05/2022 19:06:59
24 forum posts
46 photos

I don't know if this would suit since it's more in the 'vintage' category but I frequently see jones and shipman precision drill presses on ebay. I bought one myself a few years ago for around £70. There's one up for sale now for £175 that looks to be in reasonable shape.

These top out at 6000rpm, but they're VERY well made. Might be something to keep an eye out for.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like when I picked it up.

03.jpg

Michael Gilligan18/05/2022 20:14:27
20182 forum posts
1053 photos

I have one of those too, Donovan

… currently partially dismantled, and on the ‘must finish this’ list !!

The balanced motor is a good indicator of the general build-quality

… it’s a very impressive little machine. yes

MichaelG.

Hopper18/05/2022 22:17:14
6393 forum posts
334 photos
Posted by DiodeDick on 23/04/2022 23:21:50:

There are some jobs that need a high speed. The twist grip lock barrel in the attached pic was/is secured by 2 x 1/16" pins from the inside. Tried to drill them out with regular drill press and the bit wandered off and started to chew the Mazak casting. The Meddings precision drill put the bit straight down the middle.

DickAmal carb

That is a very cool display piece/living room ornament, complete with locking twistgrip and all. Was it an Amal promo display or is it an artwork of your own concoction?

DiodeDick21/05/2022 23:03:40
36 forum posts
9 photos

It was home made, along with a Wal Philips injector and a Mag-dyno, many years ago when you could build a Bonnie from the floor sweepings after the auto jumble traders had packed up and gone home.

The Amal carb piece was inspired by something similar in the Science Museum collection, the others just followed.

The Mag-dyno has a crank handle and would fire a spark plug.

Dick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest