By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What's the purpose of the hole in the Zyto lathe's headstock pulley?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Jenkins 410/03/2022 08:09:28
10 forum posts

I'm in the process of renovating my Zyto 3 3/8" lathe headstock, and I'm a little puzzled...

The smallest of the three flat-belt pulleys at the headstock end has a small threaded hole, and I can't see what it's used for. The only possible use I can think of is for getting oil into the inner bearing surface of the pulley, where it spins on the outside of the spindle. It can't be used for fixing the pulley, as that would defeat the operation of the pulley and back-gears!

Is it as simple as that, or have I missed something?

Hopper10/03/2022 08:45:13
6613 forum posts
347 photos

If it is the same as my old M-Type Drummond of the same era, you are correct. There is a small grub screw on one of the flat belt pulleys, on the surface the belt runs on. You take the screw out, add oil and put the screw back in before using the backgear. This lubricates the pulley spinning on the spindle as backgears do their thing.

Be sure though NOT to screw the screw all the way in or it will score the spindle and the swarf from that abrades the spindle and pulley bearing surfaces. My poor old M-Type has suffered this indignity and the pulley is a loose fit on the spindle as a result, making for a noisy backgear train. The screw should go in only far enough to be below the belt surface. A bit of teflon plumbers tape on the thread helps keep the oil in and secures the screw to some extent.

Ady110/03/2022 08:57:37
5160 forum posts
738 photos

As Hopper says. oil hole

David Jenkins 410/03/2022 08:58:49
10 forum posts

Many thanks!

I thought that's what it was - I was confused as I was given a headstock pulley from a different lathe, and that has a recess under the screw where the backgear driving wheel is fitted. My gear is part of the pulley.

Good tip about teflon tape - I'll bear that in mind on re-assembly.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate