Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Stirling Single painting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Another JohnS14/02/2022 19:26:29
832 forum posts
56 photos

Living over here on the left side of the Atlantic, one of our club members has a completed Martin Evans' 5" gauge Stirling Single locomotive, just sitting needing a splash of paint. I've volunteered to give a bit of help and encouragement.

I've been trying to find a good set of photos of what the painting/lining looks like. Being a "black or unlined green is perfect" type of person, I'd like to see some good pics on-line if possible, about what is lined when and where.

I know there's one somewhere in preservation; I think at the NRM in York, but last time I was there I was enthralled in the beautifully designed-for-purpose Q1, so an old brightly painted thing was not on my radar nor in my camera viewfinder. Sorry.

Can someone point me to a website or two that may have good pictures of the prototype, or of good pics of models? There must be at least one site with good info, but my google-fu is not up to it today.

Thank you - John.

Clive Brown 114/02/2022 19:55:59
828 forum posts
42 photos

Pedant alert, but I don't recall Martin Evans publishing a GNR Stirling Single 4-2-2 design, but he did for the MR Johnson Single 4-2-2.. Examples of both are at the NRM.

So do you want green or red, (crimson)?

Roderick Jenkins14/02/2022 20:07:18
2184 forum posts
608 photos

John,

The Stirling single in preservation is the 8 footer 4-2-2 in the National Railway Museum, though I'm not sure at which site it is currently on display. Martin Evan's design is for a 2-2-2 and, sadly, I dont think one still exists.

HTH,

Rod

Former Member14/02/2022 20:08:46
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Another JohnS14/02/2022 21:38:03
832 forum posts
56 photos

Hmmm - good point on the prototype - my lack of education in the finer things south of Hadrians' wall is coming to light.

It is 5" gauge, and I'm certain it's a Martin Evans' design, one driving axle. Thanks for the hints - learning about a new side to the prototypes is always a good thing.

Br: The Q1 is fantastic. I've finished a Shay, working on Martin Evans' Ivatt, and wondering what the next will be. I have plans for (and a cab-side number plate) from the SSN 23023 (DB class 23 2-6-2) and the writeup (in Dutch, of course) of the construction notes. Then there's a Heisler by Kozo Hiraoka, or a gauge 1 project, or a "Jack" Hunslet in 1:32 or... finish the 7-1/4 Stourbridge Lion, sister to Agenoria in the NRM...

Roderick Jenkins14/02/2022 23:05:30
2184 forum posts
608 photos

From the Blackgates catalogue:

222 stirling.jpg

Rod

Luker15/02/2022 04:47:43
165 forum posts
122 photos

Hi John,

I built no 49, which would be similar to Martin Evan’s design (a little more detailed especially on the backplate, and the splashers weren’t closed). The closest greens I found were Dulux Indian Ivy 1 & 2.This was matched from colour chips I found in a book describing Britain’s liveries from 1825-1948. The lining schematic can be found in ‘The Stirling Singles’ by Leech. Sorry I can’t find a way to upload Pdfs? I did do a small write-up for ME on the painting and lining of the Stirling in ‘Zen and the Art of Model Painting and Lining’ if you want to dig that up. If you wan't specific pictures please let me know and I'll upload them for you. A short video of my Stirling…

Dave Smith 1415/02/2022 09:42:33
213 forum posts
43 photos

Over on MECH, this thread details painting a Stirling.

Stirling Single

Former Member15/02/2022 09:51:11
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Roderick Jenkins31/03/2022 21:56:04
2184 forum posts
608 photos

No.1, the 4-2-2 8ft Stirling Single, featured in tonight's repeat of Miles Kington's "Steam Days" currently being repeated on BBC 4 and iPlayer.

Rod

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest