Hermes and couriers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Harry Wilkes17/03/2022 17:03:35
1371 forum posts
66 photos
Posted by Hopper on 17/03/2022 10:29:06:
Posted by Howi on 17/03/2022 10:06:37:

No! not lazy, but under extreme pressure to deliver far too many parcels in too short a time. This leads to delivery drivers taking the least path of resistance - it's human nature.

That right there is the crux of the problem. Many delivery drivers are "gig economy" contractors who are required to deliver a massive amount of parcels in a short time for not very much money. Many are lucky if they make minimum wage. You get what you pay for.

The sooner we move away from the "gig economy" and back to a fair day's wages for a fair day's work, the sooner the problem will be alleviated.

Agreed but then everyone will be complaining about increased prices !

H

Oldiron17/03/2022 17:16:01
996 forum posts
40 photos

As far as I am concerned these "lazy so& so's" are paid to ring the bell & deliver the package. They take on the job so make a contract to do just that. Its a pity the wages are so low but they still get paid to deliver the package not leave it in plain site of the road for all & sundry to see with no attempt made to ring or knock the door. That gives opportunity to the doorstep thieves. Then all we land up paying more for items.

regards

SillyOldDuffer17/03/2022 18:28:21
8903 forum posts
1999 photos

Intriguing: people whose deliveries are persistently satisfactory, and others where deliveries often go wrong.

Natural enough to consign whole organisations to hell if they let one down, but unfair on 'Parcel Farce and Herpes' if they successfully deliver millions of parcels to other customers!

I suspect consistent poor service is a local problem. No idea what. When I worked for a living, trouble was caused by corporate setting national pay rates that were too low to attract good staff in expensive areas. This might be a problem in Chatham which has to compete with London pay-rates. Or it might be they're struggling with poor infrastructure because they can't afford an efficient new logistics centre in an area where the price of land is sky high.

Mismanagement is another strong possibility - difficult to do well, and many managers struggle. I'd say bad and indifferent managers massively outnumber the good! Quite easy for bad management to trash a service, either by being too soft, or too hard. Untrustworthy bully-boy martinets are the worst because they alienate the entire workforce and cause bitter resentments that take years to put right - if ever.

In my experience the workforce is rarely the root cause of major difficulties: they tend to react to provocation rather than set out to cause trouble. There's almost always a history of bad behaviour or malfunction such as when companies are badly stressed by staff shortages, high costs, failing to compete due to low productivity, bad investments, poor strategy, bad planning, ineffective risk management, legal changes, trade wars, or are being asset stripped. One exception is small 'c' conservatism: many a British workforce welded itself to comfortable old ways and fought change tooth and nail despite clear warnings it wouldn't end well!

Stupidity is always possible: customers, work-force, management, owners, accountants, shareholders, banks, governments, politicians and voters have all got it badly wrong at one time or another!

Don't know why an organisation like Parcel Force should work well for me and not for others. It's another mystery!

Dave

David-Clark 117/03/2022 19:10:05
222 forum posts

Hi Silly Old Duffer.

Yes, bad managers are everywhere. Few, like me are good managers.

I have had couriers, probably Hermes, who could not speak a word of English.

I had a parcel from the USA at least 20 years ago, it disappeared, the driver said he had delivered it but could not remember where. I got ot a replacement about a month later but I know the driver had to pay the $270 out of his own pocket.

my bungalow is hard to find but I probly lose 1 out of 10 parcels, usually `Hermes and EBay combined.

Amazon parcels usually arrive ok but 1 or 2 have gone missing.Most drivers for Hermes are usually foreign.

V8Eng17/03/2022 21:15:00
1730 forum posts
6 photos

On Monday a van containing Amazon parcels was stolen from the shopping parade in a local small town!

Edited By V8Eng on 17/03/2022 21:19:01

Peter Greene 🇨🇦17/03/2022 21:31:12
559 forum posts
8 photos

Maybe someone thought it was easier to deliver his own!

devil

Greensands01/08/2022 20:19:21
377 forum posts
49 photos

I have not used Hermes since they changed their name to ENRI but it would appear that they no longer accept Paypal as a means of payment. If this is the case and I would prefer to use a courier who does offer this method payment can anyone recommend some possible alternative services.

Emgee01/08/2022 22:14:02
2445 forum posts
291 photos
Posted by Greensands on 01/08/2022 20:19:21:

I have not used Hermes since they changed their name to ENRI but it would appear that they no longer accept Paypal as a means of payment. If this is the case and I would prefer to use a courier who does offer this method payment can anyone recommend some possible alternative services.

Check on this site, plenty of choice but I haven't checked for paypal acceptance.

**LINK**

Emgee

Gavlar02/08/2022 07:15:19
105 forum posts
5 photos

Evri does use paypal.

I've used them twice in the last fortnight, paid for 'next (working) day' delivery and one one of the parcls was deivered on a Sunday, so better than next day.

DMB02/08/2022 07:56:45
1354 forum posts
1 photos

Previous poster said "(courier) couldn't speak word of English". So what? That individual has to be admired for effort. Just as long as he can read and correctly interpret road signs to drive safely, good luck to him, hope he succeeds in self - improvement, rather than saying " I can't" like some wooden legged Brits. BTW, I am British born n bred!

Howi02/08/2022 09:42:35
373 forum posts
19 photos

You cannot have it both ways, cheap anything and decent wages do not go hand in hand.

We all want better pay for ourselves but begrudge others (delivery drivers, fruit pickers and othervlow skilled work)

Society has to be fair for all.

I doubt if there are many on here that live (survive!) on the basic state pension.

I doubt if you have given a second thought to how they are to survive with rising fuel/food prices even with state benefits.

Howard Lewis02/08/2022 11:49:55
6314 forum posts
15 photos

Some years ago, for six months, I worked as a parcels courier.

It could be frantic. Start work at 0700, sort parcels, load van with parcels in correct order, set off.

Some days you had three parcels, all supposed to be delivered by 0900 in three different towns / villages, about 12 miles from each other! Some hope!

And then the girl in the office asking for an immediate collection at a point furthest from where you are, whilst heading from it!

You work a 13 hour day for peanuts (NO overtime )

The courier companies get rich (Some only use self employed people ) but the workers don't!.

If you pay peanuts, you tend to get monkeys, who will cut any possible corner

Howard

John Rutzen06/08/2022 12:27:41
371 forum posts
19 photos

My latest disaster story about Hermes. I got sent some wheel castings from a seller on Ebay. Tracked, got as far as 'out for delivery'. Next message was 'returned to depot due to damage'. Then nothing for a few days. Then ' can't be delivered due to damage'. Then it's apparently disappeared into Hyperspace. Maybe it just vanished. I can't see how anything can be so damaged that it CANNOT be delivered. I've got my money back from the seller but there is no way to find out from Hermes what actually happened. Plus it's not replaceable.

Edited By John Rutzen on 06/08/2022 12:28:31

Joe McKean06/08/2022 13:06:00
60 forum posts

I applaud anyone that gets out there and try's to earn a living instead of sitting at home living off benefits, I have been a courier driver / rider on and off for the past 20 years or so years and can tell you it is not the drivers and riders that get rich, the working day is long and tiring and the pressure can be relentless.

My big gripe about self employed couriers, deliveroo and all the other fast food delivery drivers and cyclists is that the vast majority if not all do not have business insurance for their vehicles probably because their salary wouldn't cover it.

Some may disagree with this statement but I still know a lot trying to earn a living in this industry .

V8Eng06/08/2022 16:09:52
1730 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Joe McKean on 06/08/2022 13:06:00:

I applaud anyone that gets out there and try's to earn a living instead of sitting at home living off benefits, I have been a courier driver / rider on and off for the past 20 years or so years and can tell you it is not the drivers and riders that get rich, the working day is long and tiring and the pressure can be relentless.

My big gripe about self employed couriers, deliveroo and all the other fast food delivery drivers and cyclists is that the vast majority if not all do not have business insurance for their vehicles probably because their salary wouldn't cover it.

Some may disagree with this statement but I still know a lot trying to earn a living in this industry .

You might not be applauding one who hits you and is uninsured because of not declaring business useage.

Joe McKean06/08/2022 21:04:36
60 forum posts

You should have noticed that my gripe is with those that are not insured for business usage and it about time that the authorities clamped down on it as basically they are driving without insurance while they are using it for business purposes.

V8Eng06/08/2022 21:15:41
1730 forum posts
6 photos

OOPS! Sorry.

Edited By V8Eng on 06/08/2022 21:17:33

Circlip07/08/2022 08:57:50
1531 forum posts

Lot to be said for walking a mile in another mans shoes.

Regards Ian.

Tony Pratt 107/08/2022 09:22:55
2028 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Circlip on 07/08/2022 08:57:50:

Lot to be said for walking a mile in another mans shoes.

Regards Ian.

Lots of these couriers are foreigners who come over here for the good life and they should at least do a proper job, but to be honest before the online shopping explosion a lot of couriers were still not the best!

Tony

Edited By Tony Pratt 1 on 07/08/2022 09:24:24

Michael Callaghan07/08/2022 11:31:23
81 forum posts

Over the years I have had problems with Hermes delivery drivers, but it’s mainly Amazon drivers that are a problem. I found one inside my car on the driveway. It was unlocked as I had just put a loading it and was getting more items from the back of the house and walked around the corner to see the driver in my car. He had my coat in his van, which had my phone in it. I asked him what the hell he was doing and got the standard reply. No English. I can’t say I was happy and a few weeks later I ordered a cctv set up from Amazon, only to find that the driver had stated he had delivered it, but had nicked it. Amazon replaced the set up. So just take care.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate