All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member08/02/2022 12:46:51
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Bo'sun08/02/2022 13:26:08
609 forum posts
2 photos

Honestly br, would you want to work for Hermes???

Former Member08/02/2022 13:31:24
1085 forum posts

Sam Longley 108/02/2022 13:36:52
942 forum posts
34 photos

I sometimes expect to see the next delivery driver will still be wearing a life jacket.

SillyOldDuffer08/02/2022 14:04:35
8699 forum posts
1967 photos

I didn't realise the emails tackled language difficulties, or that parcel delivery required much talking! Reckon I could deliver packages in Poland if I needed the work.

I thought the emails were to reduce the risk of stuff being lost or stolen. Firm sends customer an email telling them to expect delivery and then confirms it happened with a second. If the customer doesn't get confirmation and/or item it's clear something is wrong. Contact the firm.

At least one courier photographs parcels to record were they left them as well. I've had emails with photos showing me holding the box, or if I was out, where they hid it.

Dave

Tony Pratt 108/02/2022 14:36:02
1967 forum posts
12 photos

As an aside I ordered a pre-loved iphone for £245 but it's gone 'missing', i.e. someone has stolen it! The funny thing is my daughter says it will just be blocked so unusable, is that right?

Tony

Michael Gilligan08/02/2022 15:04:59
20200 forum posts
1053 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/02/2022 14:04:35:

[…]

I thought the emails were to reduce the risk of stuff being lost or stolen. Firm sends customer an email telling them to expect delivery and then confirms it happened with a second. If the customer doesn't get confirmation and/or item it's clear something is wrong. Contact the firm.

[…]

In the grand scheme of things, Dave, they probably are …

But it’s worth noting that the opening post refers to collection, not delivery.

MichaelG.

Former Member08/02/2022 15:52:54
1085 forum posts

pgk pgk08/02/2022 16:22:21
2564 forum posts
293 photos

Only slightly off topic - wife just has a msg to say her parcel has been delivered by Hermes... the picture taken of the delivery is a gate into a field. Which out here in rural sheep country doesn't help much....

pgk

Former Member08/02/2022 16:47:17
1085 forum posts

Rik Shaw08/02/2022 17:51:45
1483 forum posts
398 photos

Ordered a small tin of paint for latest model on Jan 1st. Item despatched on Jan 4th. It was delivered by Hermes yesterday 7th Feb.

During that time I might have sickened of the palsy, expired, lain in state, been buried and already pushing up daisies but because Hermes is the only Olympian capable of crossing the border between the living and the dead I expect I might have got me paint anyway!

Rik

Graham Titman08/02/2022 18:30:52
132 forum posts
18 photos

In the eighties i worked as a motorcycle courier and i can assure you it is a hard and thankless job snatch parcwl or package out of your hand and you had to beg them to sign for it.

Mike Poole08/02/2022 19:12:36
3344 forum posts
74 photos

Our local Hermes man was born and bred in the village, he is helpful and available for queries but of course he can only be responsible once it has reached him.

Mike

Rob McSweeney08/02/2022 22:09:52
73 forum posts

Last courier delivery l had, l received a message to say my parcel had been left in the porch, which was completely wrong given that a. We don't have a porch, an b. I was in the garden at the time and was handed the parcel.

Anthony Kendall09/02/2022 09:10:22
154 forum posts
Posted by br on 08/02/2022 12:46:51:
Snip...
Curiosity prompted me to ask them why the new system. Reason is due to non english speaking couriers
That fits , as tried speaking to mine - she says Polish no English

Yes, I have a lock box for bigger parcels just beside the door and a notice on the door saying so.
It didn't work well until I duplicated the notice in pigeon Polish from the web. Success.
Perhaps I need other languages too?
"Pudełko po lewej na duże paczki"

Edited By Anthony Kendall on 09/02/2022 09:14:34

jaCK Hobson09/02/2022 09:25:10
262 forum posts
92 photos

Hermes may outsource so some couriers are not directly employed by Hermes.

Our Hermes delivery person is the best! Takes care and interest. Chatty if you want, or not. Waits if you are 'indisposed'.

It is very rare I have any sort of bad experience with any delivery that is the drivers fault. I owe them a lot for keeping things 'normal' during lockdown. I have never found language a problem except poor Uber eats driver who had been given the wrong address, it was dark, raining etc

I think it is great that Hermes is addressing the language challenges and trying to improve the service - I know they have a bad rep with some but that shouldn't be stuck on them if they improve. Note it works 'both ways' - there are lots of people who receive deliveries who are not fluent in spoken English.

It is probably going to be the way of the world that more people don't speak English as their first language, and that technology will really help.

I also suspect it is easy to draw misleading conclusion about 'English' speakers motivations compared to non-English. Delivery driving is probably a job where language is not as important as some other low-paid jobs (Retail springs to mind). It might be that  English speakers just have more job opportunites and are distrubuted differnetly just because of that. 

Edited By jaCK Hobson on 09/02/2022 09:33:59

Mike Poole09/02/2022 10:56:09
3344 forum posts
74 photos

Communications from the council are accompanied by a leaflet with a translation into numerous languages, I wonder why they go to such trouble and expense when I feel the onus should be on the recipient to translate if they do not understand it. Since my son moved to Wales I have become a more regular visitor and find the dual language road signs take longer to assimilate than if they were just in Welsh, I drive in many European countries and do not have a problem as I have learned what most of them mean over the years so adding Welsh should not be too much of a challenge. I was talking to a Welsh friend a few days ago and he said the Welsh language was forbidden in school when his father was a child and any child using Welsh would be ridiculed. He said there is a whole generation who were more or less forbidden to use the Welsh language. It would seem that their culture was rescued just in time.

Mike

Michael Gilligan14/03/2022 21:16:00
20200 forum posts
1053 photos

I received notification today, that a parcel would be delivered by EVRi

Who EVRi? you might well ask : **LINK**

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/hermes-changes-its-name-to-evri-after-parcel-mishandling-allegations-b987530.html

dont know

MichaelG.

David-Clark 114/03/2022 21:42:33
220 forum posts

I don’t like Hermes at all. They deliver where and when they want. Often at completely the wrong house.

The only notification it has arrived is an email but no sign of the parcel.

Totally useless but suppliers still insist, on using them.

Martin King 215/03/2022 21:02:58
1005 forum posts
450 photos

Hi All,

got to speak as I find here, been using Hermes for shipping for last two years or so, approx 10 times a week with almost zero delivery problems.

2 lost items of fairly high value, claims settled in about 2 week or so.

2 changes of pick up couriers, both really nice.

cheers Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest