By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Storage wall continues to grow

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Thomas Gman29/01/2022 19:34:27
19 forum posts

A little over four years ago I got my first printer. I started designing and printing the boxes in the summer of 2019. Since then it has become sort of a solution to all storage issues. Need storage, design and print a box. Now it is a wall. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3873672 and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4636714

Storage wall

Edited By Thomas Gman on 29/01/2022 19:35:01

Ady129/01/2022 22:51:49
5175 forum posts
738 photos

It gives you a warm fuzzy feel when you realise that you're not the only one...

Nice empty worktop btw

edit: perchance did you clear a few minor bits and bobs away before the photo?

Thomas Gman29/01/2022 22:58:05
19 forum posts

Ha believe it or not this part of the bench stays clean. Clutter starts, as can be seen, just left and right of the pictures area.

Ady129/01/2022 23:01:31
5175 forum posts
738 photos

I used to have a clutter free space on my worktop but it just got smaller and smaller...

Bazyle29/01/2022 23:22:46
6382 forum posts
222 photos

Seems like something that should be realised in OpenSCAD to be customisable.

Henry Brown30/01/2022 11:55:21
558 forum posts
119 photos

Great idea, I made some QCTP holders and some tote boxes to go with them when I first started printing, the holders were from Thingiverse and I knocked the totes up on F360. I had a little set of draws I keep my smaller taps and dies in already so printed some ID plates to go on the front.

toolholder2.jpg

tip box.jpg

labels.jpg

Thomas Gman30/01/2022 11:58:59
19 forum posts

I wouldn't know where to start in openscad, looks so complicated lol

Clive Foster30/01/2022 12:16:44
3173 forum posts
113 photos

How does the cost of printing your own storage compare with commercial offerings of similar size.

Obviously print your own means you can make exactly the sizes needed but if near enough to be acceptable is less costly and can be got right now at a similar or lesser price its hard to justify complete custom. I suspect that if I had a 3D printer I'd only do custom for the things an off the shelf one really wouldn't do for. Probably have to accept some dimensional constraints to mix with the commercial ones too.

For me being able to make custom dividers to suit tricky things would be the big advantage.

Hafta say I've never managed to get a "really good right now" storage set-up to last more than afew years before running into trouble and needing to re-think.

Clive

Roger Best30/01/2022 12:49:25
369 forum posts
56 photos

Awesome.

Bins are not expensive but having exactly the right storage, all sealed up and dust proof is wonderful.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate