By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

steam fittings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Dawes17/01/2022 23:14:52
533 forum posts

Hi guys, do i need to have a washer/gasket on a boiler fitting or just some liquid gasket type of stuff (Hylomar?)

On the other hand is it permissable to use a washer/gasket to assist orientation of a fitting.

Bill D.

Paul Lousick18/01/2022 03:52:44
2009 forum posts
711 photos

What type of boiler fitting ? Bolted flange, Taper thread, Parallel thread with flange, ?? (photo always helps)

JasonB18/01/2022 07:11:26
22559 forum posts
2634 photos
1 articles

Most of the suppliers of boiler fittings also sell soft copper washers in various thicknesses which are what is generally used to get the orientation of small parallel threaded fittings where you want them

Paul Lousick18/01/2022 08:35:19
2009 forum posts
711 photos

If copper washers are hard, soften them by heating to a dull red and quench in water (different to steel which hardens)

Nigel Bennett18/01/2022 10:56:45
456 forum posts
20 photos

Loctite 542.

Occasionally I have had to have a fitting tighten fully into its correct orientation and it has been a case either making the fitting so it does just that (by skimming the joining face on the fitting), or else turning up a washer of the correct thickness. You have to work the thickness out (or how much to skim off) by using the thread pitch and "angle the fitting needs to turn" formula.

Say you have a 32TPI fitting; if you tighten it fully and it ends up 230 degrees beyond where you want;

You would need a thickness of 1/32" * 230/360 = 0.020" near enough.

I make my special thickness washers out of something fairly hard (usually bronze) and shove in Loctite 542 as well.

Bill Dawes18/01/2022 19:47:54
533 forum posts

Yes sorry I should have been more explicit, for the orientation issue screwed fittings such as a manifold or water gauge connection, the general question of gaskets is any boiler fittings screwed or flanged, from answers I guess a screwed one use copper washer, flanged - gasket material and/or sealant?

Bill D.

Jon Lawes18/01/2022 21:41:21
872 forum posts

Nigel uses the same techniques I use regarding Loctite 542 and the skimmed washers. I'm not quite the engineer he is, so I just usually pick the closest oversized one and skim it down on emery cloth. I do the calculation to select the washer though, I'm not all guesswork.

Bill Dawes19/01/2022 17:58:14
533 forum posts

Thanks guys, does anybody use Hylomar or similar?

Bill D.

Jon Lawes19/01/2022 20:46:46
872 forum posts

I don't, but apparently the hylomar blue is good up to 250C. I've had such good results with the loctite I'll stick with that.

Bill Dawes21/01/2022 21:58:27
533 forum posts

Thanks Jon.

Bill D.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest