Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Sieg SX3 Z axis adjustment

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Joe McKean26/12/2021 11:58:27
56 forum posts

Hi

I need to adjust the Z axis on my Sieg SX3 and before I get started I thought I would ask if there is a correct procedure for doing this, I have an idea on how to do it but would like to double check so that I don't create any problems for myself.

Thanks in advance

Joe

John Haine26/12/2021 12:05:59
4623 forum posts
273 photos

Adjust which way? Do you mean "tram" for perpendicularity to table? This has been discussed extensively here, for example:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=124382

**LINK**

Joe McKean27/12/2021 11:18:32
56 forum posts

Sorry that should have read Z axis gib adjustment, I know where the adjusting screws are but how or in what order do you adjust them.

Joe

mgnbuk27/12/2021 12:26:59
1176 forum posts
71 photos

IIRC these use a tapered gib with a screw bearing on each end.

To adjust this type of gib, slacken the screw at the thin end of the gib (most likely at the bottom), screw in the screw at the thick end of the gib to remove any free play (don't go beyond taking up the slack ! ) then tighten the thin end screw to lock the gib in place. The taper on the gib is a slow one, so it is easy to adjust it to be too tight if you are heavy-handed with the thick end adjuster screw.

Nigel B.

andy mulholland31/12/2021 12:29:53
36 forum posts
4 photos

I recently has an sx3 dismantled ti re install in the workshop.. I seem to remember asking on here how the jib actually worked ... the description above does cover it in terms of the two screws.. again I remember using light taps to try and settle the jib in place before locking it with the screws..

because I had the mill dismantled I pretty well set about the task with the mill head disconnected from its geared drive....so that the adjustment process was purely by gravity lifting the head manually and observing how it then dropped down... a right pain... but you loose the sensitivity of the adjustment with the gears in play.... quite often you only know its over adjusted when the head hangs on its slide on the backlash of the gears and then catches up with itself with a bit of a clunk... its certainly not as straight fwd as you would wish...

Andy

Mike Donnerstag07/01/2022 19:01:49
210 forum posts
46 photos

Andy: I am having the 'clunking' problem with my SX3. Would you say this is due to the gib too tight or too loose?

Mike

andy mulholland14/01/2022 09:41:47
36 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Mike Donnerstag on 07/01/2022 19:01:49:

Andy: I am having the 'clunking' problem with my SX3. Would you say this is due to the gib too tight or too loose?

Mike

Hi.. sorry mike , I missed your post...and my thoughts would be its binding as you wind the head down because the gib is to tight or able to move fractionally because its not locked in place.....but that's just been my experience.. I dont think I've experienced the sticking problem if the gib strip was loosened off a little..

The only way you can know for sure is to keep playing with .. it is as I said a time consuming setting to get right..and as I said above if the head is geared when you are trying to adjust the jib clearance you loose the feel of what is going on..

Andy..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest