Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Wire

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Derek Lane16/12/2021 12:19:44
720 forum posts
165 photos

I have just unearthed 4 coils of this wire rope it has been stored in an lean to with no heating and before that in a Greenhouse all 4 show no signs of any rust and tried a magnet on them and it seems to be stainless steel wire and it is about 4mm diameter (just roughly measured it).

My question is are there any ideas at what this can be used for I will not be making any form of traction engine and will hopefully concentrate on stationary and loco builds.

If I can't find a use I may offer it to members here for postage, If I do I will place in the classified section

wire coil

Edited By Derek Lane on 16/12/2021 12:21:20

not done it yet16/12/2021 13:24:46
6733 forum posts
20 photos

I have a small version of a tirfor-type winch that would likely accept that diameter of wire. Smaller hoists may use quite thin section cables.

Brian Morehen16/12/2021 13:59:56
189 forum posts
11 photos

Looks like Bowden Cable that use to be used for a Brake and Clutch cable in a Sheath on Motor Bikes or anything that requires a control cable , Remember using this to replace brocken cable because it was easier to rethread this in the outer case than to replace the complete cable and sheath complete.

Regards Bee>M

Oldiron16/12/2021 14:28:38
961 forum posts
40 photos

I use it in the garden for the Wisteria to climb on as well as roses etc. I also used some to hold the slats on my fence which the local yobs used to have fun pulling off on the way home from the pub. ( happy it is now shut down and all is quiet again )

regards

Craig Brown 216/12/2021 14:43:23
59 forum posts
31 photos

I would imagine it's catenary wire, used to carry electrical cables overhead between buildings. Not much use for that application without the clamps and anchors.

pgk pgk16/12/2021 15:12:31
2552 forum posts
293 photos
Posted by Craig Brown 2 on 16/12/2021 14:43:23:

I would imagine it's catenary wire, used to carry electrical cables overhead between buildings. Not much use for that application without the clamps and anchors.

I've used it for stringing wires.. clamps, eyes easily available or can make your own. More a question of how long a bit someone needs. I bought a reel for assorted jobs here and still have about half left. Also used as post stretcher-guys for viniculturists etc.

pgk

Ian P16/12/2021 15:19:33
2578 forum posts
114 photos

I have used stainless wire rope in the past but the cable in your picture does not look like any I have seen before.

Certainly the colour looks wrong for steel but also the cut ends look remarkably un-frayed.

Is the wire plated or is the colour balance wrong?

Ian P

Derek Lane16/12/2021 15:38:08
720 forum posts
165 photos

I do have some Electrical cable I want to suspend so a piece of this would be ideal.

Ian P It definitely is steel the ends when I unwind it seems to spring back and if I wind with the weave it just goes straight back. The colour is a lot brighter than in the picture.

I did a rough measure for length by measuring a single coil and times it by how many coils and the piece I did was about 7 metres but would have to double check that

noel shelley16/12/2021 16:10:56
1281 forum posts
21 photos

Ideal for trailer brake cables. Catenary is usually galvanised - it's much cheaper than Stainless. Noel.

Brian Baker 116/12/2021 16:27:43
194 forum posts
36 photos

Greetings Derek, wire of that type could br used on the standing rigging of a sailing dinghy.

regards

Brian B

John Reese16/12/2021 21:37:14
1035 forum posts

Stainless rope is ill suited for applications involving winch drums or running over pulleys. It has a poor fatigue life in those applications.

bernard towers16/12/2021 21:47:57
573 forum posts
109 photos

Surely the sailing dingy wire is double wound so the use finer wire that accepts being bent round fittings more readily. The wire in the picture is Bowden pattern.

Brian Baker 117/12/2021 07:40:30
194 forum posts
36 photos

Greetings Bernard, hope you are well, and will enjoy your Christmas Celebrations. Stainless wire used in boats is of two types, one as you described, for running rigging, around pulleys and fittings, and another type, as picture above for standing, static uses, main shrouds, fore & backstays.

Regards,

Brian

David George 117/12/2021 07:58:22
1808 forum posts
503 photos

This is catenery cable and i have instaled it many times but it comes as a kit with all the fittings and clamps and you get the shortest length of cable for the job in hand. But you always have a piece of cable left over which can come in useful sometime but if you try to buy the clamps and adjusters etc it is cheaper to buy a new kit about £35.00 for 30 mtrs. unless you make the bits yourself if you have the time.

David

Keith Wyles17/12/2021 18:38:23
94 forum posts

David, you can get the end "bits" for a lot less than £35.

noel shelley17/12/2021 19:25:34
1281 forum posts
21 photos

I have also used catenary wire kits but the wire is NOT stainless. I have replaced about 150m with 4mm stainless recently after the galvanised corroded away and broke after 10 years, but then I live near the sea. I fitted crimps of copper and thimbles of stainless, £35 would barely buy 30m of wire which had to be bought in a 250m drum. Noel

MikeK20/12/2021 03:34:53
226 forum posts
17 photos

This is similar (same?) wire cable to that used for lifting garage doors. And also the safety cables for the springs to prevent them falling if/when they fail.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest