Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

A nice find

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martin perman05/12/2021 13:24:35
2055 forum posts
86 photos

Gentlemen,

In the next village to me there are two Garden Centres and one of them has a Antique Business in one of its buildings, I usually visit about once a month as he sometimes has some old clocks that interest me, he usually has a few boxes of tools, most not of interest but my last visit had me return home with three toolmakers clamps and a few other goodies.

Yesterday I wondered along to the centre and nice set of engineers compasses and a scriber stand caught my eye, I went to haggle the price and the owner presented to me a wooden box with lids top and bottom and a carry handle at one end, opening one lid I found three micrometers 0-1, 1-2 and a 2-3, two are made by Brown & Sharpe and the third was made by Ambrose & Shardlow Sheffield, I'd never heard of this company so a search was done when I got home.

Turning the box over and opening the other lid was a Starrett Bore micrometer various extension from 2" to 7.5", after a quick haggle it was mine including the other items.

img_8771.jpg

img_8774.jpg

img_8775.jpg

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 05/12/2021 13:25:32

Thor 🇳🇴05/12/2021 13:41:32
1660 forum posts
46 photos

Congratulations Martin, that is a really nice find, especially if you got it at a reasonable price.

Thor

Jonathan Garside05/12/2021 13:50:12
52 forum posts
3 photos

Martin

The Starrett is more likely to be a 2"-8" internal micrometer rather than a bore mic.

As regards Shardlow I have a 0"-4" outside mic. They were quality manufacturers in their day

Jonathan

martin perman05/12/2021 14:50:56
2055 forum posts
86 photos

Thor, Yes I got it for what I am happy with, Johnathan, I thought 7.5" was a strange number but that's what my Vernier measured it at fully assembled with the longest rod and spacer. I couldn't remember the correct name

Martin P

Brian H05/12/2021 15:38:06
2312 forum posts
112 photos

It must have been your lucky day Martin. I like the B&S and Starrett tools. Shardlow were an especially good quality make, I have a couple of their mics, one of which is a mechanical digital model.

Brian

Nicholas Farr05/12/2021 15:49:04
3418 forum posts
1592 photos

Hi Martin, maybe one of these resemble your internal mic.

starrett internal mics.jpg

Regards Nick.

P.S. This page might also interest you Starrett 124 series

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 05/12/2021 16:09:49

Phil Whitley05/12/2021 16:18:04
1449 forum posts
147 photos

Ambrose Shardlow was the founder of the Company, in Attercliffe, Sheffield and during WW2 they made Merlin engine crankshafts, and many other mil spec engine cranks. At one time their works was supposed to be the largest engineering works under one roof in the world. I have one of their mics too.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Ambrose_Shardlow_and_Co:_by_David_Price

ega05/12/2021 16:49:20
2565 forum posts
203 photos

Many years ago a friend gave me a rather unusual Shardlow 0-1/1-2" mic; its operation will be apparent from my photo:

dscn2078.jpg

For normal small work the mic could be left with the ancillary anvil in position in the knowledge that greater capacity was available if needed.

michael potts05/12/2021 16:56:40
44 forum posts
2 photos

A few months ago, I purchased a Shardlow automatic adjustable spanner, a few inches in length. It is a well made and a very solid tool. A quick wash to loosen everything, a brush with a brass bristle brush, and some oil, and it then was completely free and working. The handle is about the same length as my Bahco 6" adjustable. It will open to take nuts from about 5/16" to 1" across the flats. It does appear to be a capable tool, but is just a bit too big to deal with the smaller nuts. It is turned over to tighten or loosen nuts.

Mike Potts

Brian G05/12/2021 18:03:21
845 forum posts
38 photos

Hi Martin

Your photo shows the 1/2" collar in place, so it should extend to the full 8" as you unscrew the thimble. I was lucky enough to get a 124D set for about 10% of the list price when Amazon's prices dropped in 2019 but doubt I will ever measure a 32 inch bore

Brian G

martin perman05/12/2021 18:56:02
2055 forum posts
86 photos

Brian

if I had a brain I would be dangerous, never dawned on me to unscrew the barrel smiley

Martin P

William Chitham07/12/2021 09:56:42
140 forum posts
57 photos

The micrometers are nice but it is the box that really catches my my eye. I love the catches made from hinges but what are the dovetailed in pieces for?

William.

martin perman07/12/2021 10:20:11
2055 forum posts
86 photos

Its a sliding door which reveals two adjustment spanners.

Martin P

Henry Brown07/12/2021 10:39:51
558 forum posts
119 photos

Lovely Martin, even better that the chap at the garden centre kept it for you. A lovely little bit of history!

Swarf, Mostly!07/12/2021 10:56:09
682 forum posts
78 photos

Hi there, all,

Why is my first thought to start all my posts with 'many years ago ... '??? Oh, well:

Many years ago, I bought, second-hand, an internal micrometer. Its maker was/is a well-known UK firm (I'd name them if I could remember but the instrument is currently stored away).

On examining my purchase, I discovered that the 0·500" spacer was mssing. I wrote to the makers (it was long before the internet and email!) asking for a quotation for a spare 0·500" spacer to complete my set. Much to my delight, they sent me one, free, gratis and for nothing!! I didn't even have to pay for the postage!!!!

Maybe they deserve recognition for their generosity even after all these years. Maybe I'll dig out the instrument and remind myself and tell you all of its maker!!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Howard Lewis08/12/2021 07:04:21
6310 forum posts
15 photos

For a long time, I only associated Ambrose Shardlow of Sheffield with providing crankshafts for our engines.

But they also made precision measuring equipment. Some of which was used in our Standards Room, so must have been good.

For some time, I have had, and use fairly regularly, a Shardlow 15" vernier height gauge.

Accuracy? It checks out as accurate against the gauge piece supplied with it.

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate