Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Over 70 Driving Licence Renewal

(or maybe not)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lee Reynolds 104/12/2021 15:41:01
9 forum posts
2 photos

Re. Brake lights - many moons ago one of my university professors told us, during a stress analysis tutorial I think, that when he designed gearboxes for RR, first gear was only stressed for full power for a matter of minutes - he went on to say that whilst manual gearbox selectors were designed for millions of selections, those for automatics were not and should be left in Drive as much as possible.

Many many moons have passed since then and it may well not be relevant now may well it still be taught?

Regards

noel shelley04/12/2021 16:43:52
1442 forum posts
23 photos

Richard S, there are no real hoops to jump through if all you want is to drive a car, only if you want to retain the bigger catorgories will there some hoops !

Brakelights at traffic lights, yes they can be a real pain at night BUT I would have HID headlight bulbs BANNED ! Most are so poorly set as to dazzle even when dipped ! On rough or undulating roads they are possitivly dangerous, any benefit to the user of better lighting is lost as the oncoming driver can't see where they are going and thereby create a hazard ! Ah well ! Noel.

SillyOldDuffer04/12/2021 17:18:51
8892 forum posts
1998 photos
Posted by noel shelley on 04/12/2021 16:43:52:
...I would have HID headlight bulbs BANNED ! Most are so poorly set as to dazzle even when dipped ! On rough or undulating roads they are possitivly dangerous, any benefit to the user of better lighting is lost as the oncoming driver can't see where they are going and thereby create a hazard ! ...

This paper confirms that bright headlights are double-edged. They help older drivers see where they're going but dazzle older drivers coming the other way.

Shouldn't be a surprise that 'The older driver is visually disadvantaged.' Unfortunately it's because 'Older individuals have increased intraocular stray light, glare sensitivity, and photostress recovery time.'

Older folk are more likely to have eye disorders too. 'Eye disorders increase this problem, and their prevalence also increases with ageing. Even when high contrast visual acuity is normal, visual performance decreases with increasing age on most other sensory tests, including visual field, glare recovery time, stereopsis, contrast sensitivity, and low contrast visual acuity with and without glare.'

The problem isn't just brake lights and over-bright headlamps, the driver is in the frame too. My eyes certainly aren't what they were and night driving tires me out, especially if it's raining. Not a problem until I lose concentration due to tiredness, after which I should stop for a rest. Trouble with getting tired is it effects my judgement, and I might push on - just another 10 miles...

Dave

geoff walker 104/12/2021 18:14:29
491 forum posts
189 photos

Just been through the over 70 on line licence renewal, no problems at all, DVLA is functioning well today.

Geoff

bernard towers04/12/2021 18:56:28
689 forum posts
141 photos

Most new vehicles with led headlights do not conform to cons and use regs as regards to beam pattern , it’s quite interesting to see it on a beam Setter!!

John Abson04/12/2021 18:58:13
14 forum posts

How do they get type approval, or is it a maintenance issue in which case how do they pass their MOTs? I agree that one sees a lot that aren't well adjusted.

Jon Lawes04/12/2021 19:19:48
991 forum posts

I think they are fine when clean, but dirt scatters the light pattern. How many headlights are spotless?

duncan webster04/12/2021 19:30:09
4121 forum posts
66 photos

Lots of modern cars have self levelling headlights so that if you have a big load in the back they are not shining at the sky. This is all very well until they go wrong, as my wife's did, one pointing fully up, one down. Tried manually over-riding, but as soon as ignition switched on the little motors whirred into action and put them back wrong. The assembly of motor/headlight was stunningly expensive, so cut the wires to the motor, adjust manually and live with it. Then had to convince the MOT man that not having the self levelling is not a fail.

I suspect lots of people simply don't notice (SWMBO hadn't) and so drive around dazzling everyone until MOT time

Michael Gilligan04/12/2021 20:55:14
20289 forum posts
1064 photos
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 04/12/2021 11:13:14:

[…]

he did come clean though when we got home and showed me the built in foot switch on the floor.

[…]

My 1966 Reliant Scimitar Coupé had one of those

… it can be a merry dance when using the left foot for both dip-switch and clutch !

MichaelG.

Nicholas Farr05/12/2021 08:41:09
3418 forum posts
1592 photos

Hi MichaelG, I never had the experience of using those switches, as by the time I started my driving in 1973, my brother had an Austin 1100 which sadly was the last vehicle he ever drove, but yes it was in the left hand corner of the footwell. I think I've still got a second hand spare one somewhere that he got at the time he had his A35.

Regards Nick.

Mark Rand05/12/2021 10:45:07
1313 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by duncan webster on 04/12/2021 19:30:09:

The assembly of motor/headlight was stunningly expensive, so cut the wires to the motor, adjust manually and live with it. Then had to convince the MOT man that not having the self levelling is not a fail.

A non functioning self-leveling system on a car originally fitted or retro-fitted with HID headlights is an MOT fail It's also an offence under the 1989 Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations.

John Abson05/12/2021 11:00:31
14 forum posts

Yes but doesn't he drive a personnel carrier (paragraph 3 section d)?

noel shelley05/12/2021 11:43:14
1442 forum posts
23 photos

Gentlemen, it's Sunday morning, time for a tale or 2 ! Ah yes The foot operated dip switch ! Hurtling into an S bend late one night at about 80 mph I reached for the wiper switch - missed and turned the headlights off ! The good Lord guided me through the bends and my next job was to use a spare dip switch to operate the 2 spotlights, so the above could not happen again ! Careful positioning of the second dip switch deside the original meant I could dip the headlights and also turn off (or on ) the spots in one movement. The car was a morris oxford estate with a tuned MGB engine and overdrive gearbox, the fun I had in that car !

Then there was the Austin Champ, equiped as a recovery truck, coming up the A1 with a dead MGB on the hook, girlfriend as passenger, trucks would over take us and on pulling in flash tail lights. Shirley asked why ? I explained how being an ex military vehicle it had been fitted with a device that when in convoy told the other driver it was safe to pull in and now this technolgy was coming into the civillian market. This was fine until dusk when she saw my headlights flash - had we not been so far from home, she would have got out and walked home, which is what she did 10 days later when in the pub she dicovered I had told someone how I'd pulled her leg ! 2 of the best vehicles I ever owned ! Noel.

Jon Lawes06/12/2021 14:20:32
991 forum posts
Posted by Mark Rand on 05/12/2021 10:45:07:
Posted by duncan webster on 04/12/2021 19:30:09:

The assembly of motor/headlight was stunningly expensive, so cut the wires to the motor, adjust manually and live with it. Then had to convince the MOT man that not having the self levelling is not a fail.

A non functioning self-leveling system on a car originally fitted or retro-fitted with HID headlights is an MOT fail It's also an offence under the 1989 Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations.

I don't believe you can retro fit HID lighting as it needs certain markings, I suppose you could if you transferred all of the equipment from an identical make and model (which would be correct shape reflector headlamp, headlamp washers, levelling systems etc)? Having experimented a bit with it when rallying I don't think I'd bother these days, cheaper to change a bulb than a ballast.

Mike Poole06/12/2021 15:27:46
3377 forum posts
77 photos

It must be time that cycle lighting was subjected to some regulation and enforcement. I encountered a cyclist with a high intensity flashing headlight that seemed to be set to shine straight in the eyes of oncoming traffic, as I was waiting at a crossroads to go straight on I had the pleasure of this idiots light for some time, I advised him his light was annoying but obviously I must be wrong as he just ignored me, it would be nice to have a flasher circuit for my LED headlight so I could return the favour with flashing full beam for these special idiots.

Mike

Nicholas Farr06/12/2021 16:10:28
3418 forum posts
1592 photos

Hi, talking about my late brothers Austin 1100 I still have his old log book for it and these cars were renowned as being "Rust Buckets" although they were a nice car to drive in their day, but shortly after his death his car was due for an MOT which found extensive rusting in some very important places, which wouldn't have made economical sense to repair, however many spare parts were salvaged from it for repairs to an MG 1100 that I bought off my brother-in-law around mid 74 and my MG had at least double the life of the Austin, which only had eight years, so although we felt he had been fleeced by the dealer he bought it off, his money wasn't totally wasted.

log book 1.jpg

Regards Nick.

duncan webster06/12/2021 16:11:47
4121 forum posts
66 photos

Road traffic regulations don't apply to cyclists, or why would they ignore red traffic lights, cycle without lights, go the wrong way up one way streets with impunity

Bill Phinn06/12/2021 16:24:41
768 forum posts
114 photos
Posted by Mike Poole on 06/12/2021 15:27:46:

It must be time that cycle lighting was subjected to some regulation and enforcement. I encountered a cyclist with a high intensity flashing headlight that seemed to be set to shine straight in the eyes of oncoming traffic, as I was waiting at a crossroads to go straight on I had the pleasure of this idiots light for some time, I advised him his light was annoying but obviously I must be wrong as he just ignored me, it would be nice to have a flasher circuit for my LED headlight so I could return the favour with flashing full beam for these special idiots.

Mike

You saw him, though, Mike, didn't you?

I agree that the light should not have been in flashing mode, but the reason why cyclists increasingly have these sorts of very bright lights is not to antagonize motorists, but in order not to fall victim to a SMIDSY incident.

Every clubmate of mine in my cycling club has had a SMIDSY at some point, most of us more than once. I've been to court twice over separate incidents where I was injured, my bike damaged, and the motorist found guilty of driving without due care and failing to stop.

A friend currently has three personal injury cases in the hands of solicitors after separate SMIDSYs over the last four years, and a fellow club mate who represented GB early in his career was killed in July by a motorist who didn't see him and pulled out on him from a side road.

In answer to the general complaint that cyclists' lights nowadays are too bright, my response is that maybe this is because too many motorists are a bit dim.

Mark Rand06/12/2021 16:28:10
1313 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 06/12/2021 16:10:28:

Hi, talking about my late brothers Austin 1100 I still have his old log book for it

That log book encompases the time that I was at St James primary school in Lynn. smiley

Nicholas Farr06/12/2021 16:44:29
3418 forum posts
1592 photos

Hi Mark, I left school and was working by the summer after the last duty stamp on page 9, but they certainly encouraged one to tax the cars for a whole year.

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate