By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Looking for engineers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JIM Johnson 226/11/2021 15:55:23
11 forum posts

Is there anyone in the Lincolnshire area that knows about lathes that could possibly vist me and help set up my lathe as I am a novice in return I may be help someone with other tools and machinery that I have in our workshop

Howard Lewis26/11/2021 17:06:12
5751 forum posts
13 photos

Whereabous in Lincolnshire?

What lathe?

Are you just looking for help in taking twist out of the bed?

Ian Bradley tells how in his book "The Amateurs Workshop", as well as a bit about grinding HSS tools, and workshop work general.

Or are you looking for help on tooling etc?

Howard

JIM Johnson 226/11/2021 17:13:21
11 forum posts

Need help with the tools which ones to get and how they work sharpening tools would be good I would find it easier if someone was explaining it rather than me reading out of a book I'm not shure what size tooling I need 8mm 10 mm I quite like the sound of the insert tools but not shure on size

Howard Lewis26/11/2021 18:35:10
5751 forum posts
13 photos

The size of tooling will depend on the lathe in use.

No point in getting Carbide tipped tools for a lathe made 50 or more years ago. It is unlikely to be powerful, fast or rigid enough really to do them justice.

Too big and they will be above centre height, so useless, for your machine.

Too small and they will be flexible and possibly cause problems. Plus you will need lots of shims to set them to centre height.

You will learn the basics by grinding HSS tools. (In any case, they function slightly differently from carbide tips ) Carbide tips were developed for Industrial machines specifically to remove metal, sometime quite exotic or hard, fast.

Model Engineer are not usually on piecework!

Reading will give the basic knowledge, which you can then put to practical use, because you have a better understanding of what you are doing.

You could waste a lot of time and good metal trying to grind a tool when 30 minutes with a book could tell you haw to get it somewhere near right, first time!

As an Apprentice, we had face to face instruction, with regular Lectures with handouts, in addition to plenty of workshop time to put it into practice. In this way, we had an understanding of what we were doing, what was happening, and why.

I am not a skilled machine, only had the first year basic training. The machinists spent four or five years learning their trade. My turning instructor could work, with a 6" rule, to within a few thou of how I could with a micrometer!

You can grind a drill, freehand, but unless you understand how to grind it, it will not not cut well, possibly not at all, or even anywhere near accurately. The same goes for a lathe or any other tool..

Howard

JIM Johnson 226/11/2021 18:49:09
11 forum posts

Thankyou Howard Just ordered the book from Amazon

bricky26/11/2021 22:03:34
542 forum posts
68 photos

I live in Linc,s but where in Linc,s do you live, it is a big county.I would be pleased to help if it was close enough.

Frank

JIM Johnson 226/11/2021 22:13:19
11 forum posts

I live Alford near skegness I could help with transport

Roger Williams 227/11/2021 09:01:31
340 forum posts
1 photos

Get youself a Diamond Toolholder from Eccentric engineering , saves a lot of messing about grinding all the facets by hand . Clamp HSS bit in the jig provided in the kit, a few passes across the wheel, job done.

JIM Johnson 227/11/2021 10:35:12
11 forum posts
Posted by Roger Williams 2 on 27/11/2021 09:01:31:

Get youself a Diamond Toolholder from Eccentric engineering , saves a lot of messing about grinding all the facets by hand . Clamp HSS bit in the jig provided in the kit, a few passes across the wheel, job done.

Thank for this information Roger I will get one

Howard Lewis27/11/2021 12:10:29
5751 forum posts
13 photos

LONG E mail en route to you.

Howard

JIM Johnson 227/11/2021 12:32:48
11 forum posts
Posted by Howard Lewis on 27/11/2021 12:10:29:

LONG E mail en route to you.

Howard

Don't quite get what you mean

Howard Lewis27/11/2021 13:14:53
5751 forum posts
13 photos

Jim,

Look in your E mail IN box.

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest